Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The big flag. (REM - Flag)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It appears the Flag was stored in one of the outbuildings at Withdean and when they did some improvements the builders decided to throw it away without presumably having the intelligence to have a quick look inside at the contents. The flag was around 5 years old by then and had many excursions, it was massive and very heavy , especially when wet. People liked it to be at games but did not like the hassle of getting it there and back or storing it.

When I last did a thread a couple of years ago we got around £ 600 in pledges to buy an REMF Giant Flag 2.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It appears the Flag was stored in one of the outbuildings at Withdean and when they did some improvements the builders decided to throw it away without presumably having the intelligence to have a quick look inside at the contents. The flag was around 5 years old by then and had many excursions, it was massive and very heavy , especially when wet. People liked it to be at games but did not like the hassle of getting it there and back or storing it.

When I last did a thread a couple of years ago we got around £ 600 in pledges to buy an REMF Giant Flag 2.

I suspect we could get a lighter one, technology has improved since the first flag.

An example they sent me is here

sheffield%252520wednesday%252520flag.jpg

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
As I said on the other thread, if the club will give us somewhere in the north stand to store it, I will take the responsibility for putting it away at the end of the game.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
It takes more than one person to get it out and put it away, should we go down the route again of funding a flag (which I've no doubt we can all do) we need a dedicated team of regulars to ensure it lasts longer than the last one....

Great idea - but needs far more planning and assistance than you'd think.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Amex should make all of the logistics for a giant flag, particularly at home games, far easier than was the case at Withdean.

I'm sure there are numerous places where the flag could be stored but I happen to know that there is a massive and unused area behind the North Stand which would be perfect to keep it in. It's directly behind that little platform above the middle of the North Stand so getting the flag in and out could be ultra-easy.

I'm sure NSC's funds could help contribute to the cost of a new flag if required.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm sure there are numerous places where the flag could be stored but I happen to know that there is a massive and unused area behind the North Stand which would be perfect to keep it in. It's directly behind that little platform above the middle of the North Stand so getting the flag in and out could be ultra-easy.

Sssshh, that's the police tea area :lol:

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
[MENTION=17682]gunning seagulls[/MENTION] will help and I'm sure I could rope in a few others such as [MENTION=13726]marcgorry[/MENTION] & [MENTION=1990]Strike[/MENTION] to help put it away each time.
Would be great to have a new flag, and it shouldn't get so wet like the old one either !

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Hmm, I don't like the sound of this flag. It will cause rifts in supporters, you'd be classed as an uber-fan or an ultra if you contributed towards or touched the flag at a game. Better to sit in the stand and be quiet, unless a goal is scored and then you may cheer for up to 30 seconds.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
A simple 'Flag' search tells you this is the 4th thread on this topic since 8/8, that's 1 thread every 10 days. See you again next Wednesday then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here