Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The big Falmer debate – Seagulls over London TONIGHT - Thursday!

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
The big Falmer debate – Seagulls over London TONIGHT!”

Come and hear Lord Bracknell and Matt Hicks in hot debate on Falmer at TONIGHT'S Seagulls over London meeting.

The focus is on the reopened public inquiry and the pros and cons of John Prescott’s ‘alternative sites’. We’ll bring the subject to life through a short role-play, featuring the Planning Inspectors and the ODPM. (Prescott will not be played by a tub of lard.) The Albion’s expert witnesses will include planning consultant Ed Bassford (aka Lord Bracknell) and Matt Hicks, who will speak about the planning issues as they affect the playing staff.

SoL background
If you live or work in the capital, you’ll get a lot from joining Seagulls over London. It’s a chance to hear about all things Albion, from the inside. The legendary Bob Booker spoke last time and we’ve previously had Dick Knight, Martin Perry, Gary Stevens, Paul Rogers and Paul Camillin. It’s a chance to meet other Seagulls fans and talk about the things that really matter – like our relegation/play-off prospects and the Government's perspective on Withdean cuisine. We’re running a prediction league too, for any wannabe Mystic Mugs out there.

We meet on the third Thursday of every other month. The venue is the Royal Oak, Tabard Street (nearest tubes London Bridge and Borough). And just to make you feel at home, it sells Harvey’s.

Oh, and before you ask, SoL membership costs a hefty fiver a year. That’s right. Five Quid. More exciting than a Gareth Glover tip. Yet none of the recriminations.

Kick-off tonight is at 7.30pm. See you there?

For directions, see: http://uk2.multimap.com//clients/br...usbyname_list_result.jsp&oPg=edq&siteArea=edq

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Edd Bassford and Matt Hicks in role play?

Are they classically trained? Personally I'm a big fan of Constantine Stainislavski's method of physical action. I hear Edd is more of an Arto follower.

Biscuit said:
Edd Bassford and Matt Hicks in role play?

Are they classically trained? Personally I'm a big fan of Constantine Stainislavski's method of physical action. I hear Edd is more of an Arto follower.
Nah...

I shall do it as Commedia dell'Arte.

db.d.jpg

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The subject line nearly gave me a heart attack!...

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Can't it be held in Terminal 3 at Heathrow about an hour earlier? :angry:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Re: Falmer up in Smoke this THURSDAY!

Gilliver's Travels said:

The legendary Bob Booker spoke last time and we’ve previously had Dick Knight, Martin Perry, Gary Stevens, Paul Rogers and Paul Camillin.

The Albion’s expert witnesses will include planning consultant Ed Bassford (aka Lord Bracknell)

Well, Lord B has officially joined the ranks of legends.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
London Calling said:
aFTER THREE YEARS ABSENCE i MIGHT GET MY ARESE DOEN THERE:jester:

trying to summon the will.Cycling across london in the rain and then inhaling a large amount of ferocious weed when i got in has really taken it out of me.
It'll be essential listening though.

...must find the strength...

Good to meet you SoLs tonight.

I'm not entirely convinced by the collective conclusion you all came to about the stadium, but maybe I'm just a lousy planning advisor.

???

A special thank you to Thameslink Trains for running late to enable Roz and I to catch the last train to Lewes from London Bridge. But a bucket of stinking fish to them for then being so late that the onward connection from Haywards Heath had left by the time we got there.

Anyway, there was a very nice man from Southern who got us a free taxi ride from HH to allow us to arrive home before breakfast. So all is forgiven.

What a superb pub the Royal Oak is!

trying not to sound arsey, but i a lttle more notice would help. i even checked the seagulls over london website this week and it was still showing the next meeting as the one in september!!!

i would love to get involved but give me a weeks notice pls!

er if i read the website wrong i truely apologize :lolol:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Lord Bracknell said:

I'm not entirely convinced by the collective conclusion you all came to about the stadium, but maybe I'm just a lousy planning advisor.

???

A special thank you to Thameslink Trains for running late to enable Roz and I to catch the last train to Lewes from London Bridge. But a bucket of stinking fish to them for then being so late that the onward connection from Haywards Heath had left by the time we got there.

Anyway, there was a very nice man from Southern who got us a free taxi ride from HH to allow us to arrive home before breakfast. So all is forgiven.

I must admit I found the lack of overriding planning issues regarding Waterhall somewhat surprising, and environment issues at Falmer and not at Waterhall (I was in the ODPM team, two to the right of Paul). I quite agree about the pub. I had my first pint of Old for the year, shame it couldn't have been in the Lord Nelson or Mitre, but it was in tip top condition. I wish South West Trains had been as helpful as Southern. It took me nearly an hour to get from Battersea to the pub (it shouldn't take more than 40 minutes) and then we sat literally 20 yards outside Waterloo on the way back.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Thanks for a great evening in a splendid hostelry - can't think how I've managed to miss out on the only Harvey's pub in London up to now!

As for being a planning"expert" though, complimentary as the description was, I bow to His Lordship in that respect since it's now some while since I escaped and resumed earlier occupations!

However, despite short-changing you on the planning expertise front there are pictures:

AVAILABLE HERE

I can put names to some of the faces but if anyone would like to do a comprehensive job I'll add some identification later!

Last edited:

Lord Bracknell said:

???

I THINK YOUR POINT, THAT YOU HAD ONCE SUGGESTED A STATION AT WATERHALL, MOVED OPIONION.

PROBABLY NEEDED A MORE MODERN CONTEXT LIKE, ONCE IT WAS A GOOD IDEA BUT NOW ITS NOT IN THR RAIL AUTHORITY 10 YEAR STRATEGIC PLAN, THE PROXIMITY TO TUNNELS MEANS THE HEALTH AND SAFETY EXECUTIVE AND FIRE BRIGADE WOULD OPPOSE IT AND IT WOULD GO AGAINGST THE NRA EXISTING INVESTMENT THAT AIMS TO TO ACTUALLY QUICKEN THE LONDON TO BRIGHTON LINE.

PLUS THE WATER BOARD WOULD OPPOSE IT. SINCE IT COULD HAVE A NEGATIVE IMPPACT ON LOCAL WATER SOURCES.

ETC

BUT WE ONLY HAD A FEW HOURS NOT ******* MONTHS TO MAKE A COLLECTIVE DECISION.

LC

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here