Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The BESTEST goal you have ever seen live

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Was that the game when he took the ball all the way from our area, dribbled through a couple of defenders and buried it? I was thinking of a goal he scored, but can't recall who against....might've been the same one.

That sounds like it. Although you could replace "a couple of defenders" for "almost the entire Wolves team"

think it was a league cup match which we actually lost (2-3 if memory is working), back when Wolves were actually very good.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
That sounds like it. Although you could replace "a couple of defenders" for "almost the entire Wolves team"

think it was a league cup match which we actually lost (2-3 if memory is working), back when Wolves were actually very good.

If memory services me it was a 3rd round FA cup tie. It was played on a weekday evening; the Saturday match was postponed due to snow.

Best goals in games I have seen live:

- Nelson at Brentford
- Hoddle; Spurs v Oxford 87: a single dummy took out a whole line of defenders. May have been his last goal for Spurs.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
or Ian Rush's at the Goldstone.

That was the one I had in my mind. That was the goal into the North in the Cup replay. Superb. he didn't even seem to look up, just instinctively knew where, not on teh goal was, but where the top corner was. Superb. I was directly in line with the shot and it was in from the moment it left his foot. Brilliant.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
For Brighton - split between Mark Lawrenson v Wolves in the league cup, he ran the length of the pitch to stick in a superb goal and Nelson away v Brentford in the FA Cup

For England - split between Owen v Argentina in France WC and Gascoigne v Scotland at Wembley in Euro 96

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Case v Wednesday in the Cup
Gary Williams v Notts Forest (and a certain Peter Shilton) at the Goldstone in 79-80

would have to be two of mine ... :thumbsup:

For its importance and for the memories it will have to be Jimmy Case's against Sheffield Weds at Highbury. I was only 11 and right behind the goal

No, surely Smith's goal that put us 1-0 up in the Cup Final was more important than case's goal that put us 1-0 in the semi. And what about michale Robinson's winner in the semi. Not a great goal bit surely one of the best ( in terms of effect!)

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Seem to remember Andrew Crofts scoring a bloody good goal against us for Wallsall a few years back.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I'm a fan of any long range effort hit really really hard into one of the top corners. The best example I've seen live is probably a Nick Henry HOWITZER into the North Stand goal circa: 1991(?). In my brain it was scored from about 40 yards, rising all the way into the top left. Think Andy Ritchie got Oldham's first that day (which was also fairly tasty) and we lost 1-2.

Yep thats the goal I was thinking of! Tho I think it was about 1988-89 coz it was John Keely in goal and Im sure it was a 1-1 draw.
But you could well be right about the score and year!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Pains me to say it, but as I remember it from the night (doesn't look quite so good on TV), has to be this one:

[yt]eQ0pxDDEJvM[/yt]

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
Yep thats the goal I was thinking of! Tho I think it was about 1988-89 coz it was John Keely in goal and Im sure it was a 1-1 draw.
But you could well be right about the score and year!

That can't be right cos "You'll never beat John Keeley"!

I remember Johnny Byrne scoring a peach of a volley at The (old) Den shortly before he was transferred to Sunderland. The only problem was that I was in the Millwall end and that is one place where discretion is definitely the better part of valour! That was also the game where, egged on by the crowd, a Millwall "fan" ran on to the pitch to attack one of our players. It was a nice place to go in those days.

JB's flying header to equalise in the Cup at Anfield was another favourite of mine. With some of the comments on the 100 worst players thread in mind, I do believe that it was fashioned from a John Crumplin cross headed back across goal by Mike Small.

As far as "team" goals are concerned, the build-up play for Willie Irvine's goal against Villa in the '71-'72 promotion season is probably some of the best I have seen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here