Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other (state which)

Votes: 4 6.1%

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Strange you ask this Edna. It's very pertinant to me as we bought his entire "child" collection for our two kids as bed time story reading. Only about £8 from some book club I think!

Wife and I have read to the kids in the past 2 months:
Charlie & the Chocolate Factory
James & the Giant Peach
Fantastic Mr Fox
The Twits
George's Marvellous Medicine
Finished Danny the Champion of the World yesterday
Just started The Witches today, which leaves The BFG

They're nearly all great reads, although Danny is overrated. The Twits is really great but James is absolutely fantastic. My fave so far, although I like the opening of The Witches

I do believe that all of us has one book (or, most likely, one fictional hero) which is extremely important to our early development. Mine is definitely Danny. I haven't read it for years, so this analysis might not stand up, but I remember sitting in school thinking "this is a pile of shite, authority sucks, the law is an ass, f*** your petty tyrannies" (I'm paraphrasing) one morning after having read Danny the previous evening. In the short run it didn't seem to do me any favours (expelled from four schools, for instance), but in the long run, I consider that the most important lesson I learned as a kid. I will always love Danny for that, and I've already bought nice hardback copies for my kids even though neither of them can read yet.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I do believe that all of us has one book (or, most likely, one fictional hero) which is extremely important to our early development. Mine is definitely Danny. I haven't read it for years, so this analysis might not stand up, but I remember sitting in school thinking "this is a pile of shite, authority sucks, the law is an ass, f*** your petty tyrannies" (I'm paraphrasing) one morning after having read Danny the previous evening. In the short run it didn't seem to do me any favours (expelled from four schools, for instance), but in the long run, I consider that the most important lesson I learned as a kid. I will always love Danny for that, and I've already bought nice hardback copies for my kids even though neither of them can read yet.
It is funny, I remember loving Danny as a 10yo kid, but having literally finished reading it to my own kids only *yesterday*, I felt it really was a bit of a long winded yarn. Maybe in the days of materialism that we now live in, it has lost it's relevance (for me anyway).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I always found Boy quite funny.

The dead rat under the floor board.

All great books and so much better than any of the Potter books.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
:bounce:

The Chocolate Factory is making a comeback :clap:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Fantastic Mr Fox.

I have never understood how drugging a few pheasants made Danny "the all time champion of the world"...

I'm trying to remember this now...did he do it with raisins, or something like that???

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yeah, raisins. The tinker. Still, whatever his achievements in the foul doping arena, it hardly qualified his dad's boast of 'all time champion of the world' status.

More deserving of having his hand chopped off for theft if you ask me.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Pheasants are that stupid, in all honesty, I doubt it would take much to poach them.

I mean, you've only got to drive down the A272, for example, at a fairly meandering speed, to witness a plump pheasant or two strut out into the road in front of your car, pausing for a moment to ponder the inevitable consequences of their intended actions, before performing a pheasanty shrug and continuing their life's journey under the wheels of your Ford Focus.

The world's dumbest bird, no doubt about it. Champion of the World? I think not.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I am finding it very difficult to pick a winner, Roald Dahl defined much of my childhood (along with the Narnia books).

I think, if you really pushed me, I'd have to say BFG is my favourite.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
George's Marvellous Medicine was a real favourite of mine when I was younger, because it was only a short tale and very easy to read.
My personal favourites now would be Matilda and Charlie & The Chocolate factory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here