Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The best football seen in over 50 years watching the Albion

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Says Tony 0898 Millard.

With Comedy Steve down under I've guest hosted on the Albion podcast this month and my guests were Tony and John Vinicombe.

As a 40 something I found the tales of Clough, Taylor, Mullery, Bamber, Bailey and others a privelege to sit and listen for over an hour to.

Edited down the 37 minutes is still IMHO well worth a listen, to Albion fans of all ages.

I understand its now up on Seagulls Player.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Think is was Tony Millard MCing the Skegness Speedway event I took the kids to in the summer when we were at the in-laws. Certainly sounded like him and I know he does Speedway on Sky.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I and a lot of my friends have been watching the Albion since the mid-sixties and without exception we all agree that this is the best football we've seen from Brighton. If it's as successful as the Wardy era (the second-best football we've seen) then the next few years are going to be brilliant.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Technically maybe - but there was nothing quite like watching the flair and excitement of Ward, Mellor and Lawrenson.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Technically maybe - but there was nothing quite like watching the flair and excitement of Ward, Mellor and Lawrenson.

It is a tricky one. The current team would never have scored seven in the second half. After three we would have taken it easy, and maybe scored a couple more. In the 70's we would have been shouting "Attack, Attack, Attack-Attack-Attack" and the team would be attacking looking for goals. That really was exciting.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
True. I'll never forget that era and feel privileged to have seen it, and I'd never say the football was 'rubbish'. Comparisons between eras are always virtually meaningless (except as a source of argument) but you do get the feeling that the current squad has a bit more about. I guess it's the difference in coaching abilities (and upbringing) between Mullery and Poyet. Next season in the Championship should be interesting.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
It's really interesting to hear these comments about how the football is the 'best I've seen' from people who have supported the Albion for such a long time.

I started supporting Brighton in 1994. Had a fairly decent opening par of the season but quickly went downhill. The season that we went down to the bottom division and then before Gritt arrived in the next, the football was just...good god. It was dire.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Wardy and co brought immense excitement, that no side has matched since but i wonder how much of that was down to the packed out Goldstone and the atmosphere, maybe next season we will know.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'll look forward to this....I'll listen tonight.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I was surprised that neither John Vinicombe or Tony Millard mentioned Peter Ward when asked who they thought were the best players to have worn an Albion shirt.
From my point of view there are also some comparisons between Mullery's and Poyet's football methods. I remember an incident that was reported in the Argus (must be true then!) when Mullery was manager. Someone in the West Stand had a go at Mullery after a home defeat "Why don't you get them to put some long balls up to the forwards" to which an annoyed Mullery answered "Because we play possession football, that's why" (or words to that effect)
Sound familiar?
I enjoyed the football played by Mullery's team that got us from the 3rd to the 1st Div just as much as I am enjoying the way Gus has got the current team playing.

True. I'll never forget that era and feel privileged to have seen it, and I'd never say the football was 'rubbish'. Comparisons between eras are always virtually meaningless (except as a source of argument) but you do get the feeling that the current squad has a bit more about. I guess it's the difference in coaching abilities (and upbringing) between Mullery and Poyet. Next season in the Championship should be interesting.

Differences????

Both played for Tottenham Hotspur. Both captained their country.

Only difference so far is that Mullery won us 2 promotions and got us into the top flight. So far Poyet ahachieved nothing

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
It is a tricky one. The current team would never have scored seven in the second half. After three we would have taken it easy, and maybe scored a couple more. In the 70's we would have been shouting "Attack, Attack, Attack-Attack-Attack" and the team would be attacking looking for goals. That really was exciting.

Have to agree although the current team is probably technically better (except Lawrenson), it does not quite meet the excitement level of the Mullery team. Leaving the ground with 28000 fans disappointed that we only put 4 past the opposition. Peter Ward just had that special aura about him that made you glad to support the Albion.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I haven't yet felt the excitement of the new generation that I felt when Wardy,Mellor etc were in their prime. Going to Anfield and knocking top European team Liverpool out of the cup, the run to the FA Cup final and being a heartbeat away from winning the damn thing. I doubt I will ever experience that excitement ever again watching the Albion. Although the future is just over the horizon . :)

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK

Having seen them also I feel I am able and qualified to re-affirm the original postee's statement that this is the best ever. Also Glen Murray is now officially my favourite striker ever. There! Above Spider and BZ and Wardy? Yes! Love them all of course but GM is now there.

IMHO of course

TNBA

TTF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here