Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The best American band EVER!!!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
tinx said:
Indeed it is and Redders watch MTV2 on Saturday night at 10pm. There's a Beastie boys live set on for an hour. If your out tape it cos its bound to totally rock.

Yer already seen it mate if its the one where they open with Sure Shot, but I'll try and get it on tape this time,

cheers :)

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Because you can't, you won't and you don't stop!

NSP always rock the sure shot!

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
D'Angelo Saxon said:
Because you can't, you won't and you don't stop!

NSP always rock the sure shot!

:lolol: Nice one Benjy

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
not a big fan of the yank bands ,the only 3 Ii can think of that Ii really like is

Aerosmith
Greenday
The strokes

Alice Coopers OK though

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Doors.
Guns and Roses.
Lynyrd Skynyrd (almost saw them at the Dome,but they cancelled.)

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
They are all shit.

I only have respect for three american groups:

- Bob Dylan.
- Jimi Hendrix.
- The Supremes.

Oh, and Burt Bacharach.

How anyone can mention Blink 182 on this thread is beyond me and beyond taste. The rest, I can see why some people would like them and its up to them what they listen to..but Blink 182..bloody hell.

Last edited:

Jul 20, 2003
For me, for the last half hour, it's been Sly and the Family Stone

however it could easily have been any of:

Lift to The Experience
Flaming Lips
Husker Du
Pavement
Guided By Voices
Bongwater
Pixies
Throwing Muses
Ultra Vivid Scene
Spain
Big Star
Galaxie 500
Red House Painters
American Music Club
Public Enemy
Shudder to Think
Byrds
Beach Boys
Ramones
Prince and The Revolution
Talking Heads
Grandaddy
Mercury Rev
Johnathan Richman and the Modern Lovers
Velvet Underground
Yo La Tengo
Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five
Sun Kil Moon
Todd Rundgren and Utopia
Aerosmith
Bob Dylan and The Band
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
The Stooges
Sonic Youth
Sebadoh
Cowboy Junkies
Grand Funk Railroad
Isley Brothers
Sugar
Breeders
Circle Jerks
Opal
Camper Van Beethoven
Mazzy Star
Hugo Largo
Beastie Boys
Thinking Fellers Union 151
Tad
Paw
Mudhoney
Love
Nirvana
REM
Fugees
Violent Femmes
Idaho
Dead Kennedys
Blondie
Sugarhill Gang
Funkadelic
Parliament
Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy
Lambchop
Grant Lee Bufallo
Silver Jews
Flying Buritto Brothers
Dinosaur Jr

Sinatra, Nina Simone, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Simon and Garfunkel, DJ Shadow, Candi Staton, Curtis Mayfield, Stevie Wonder, Leonard Cohen, Maxine Brown, Tim & Jeff Buckley, Al Green, Otis, Cash, Woodie Guthrie, Robert Johnson

etc. etc. etc.

Many to choose from, but the categories are also legion. Take Barry Goldberg's band, which included Harvey Mandel and Charley Musselwhite - or the Butterfield Blues Band !! Awesome.
Then there are the originals - Muddy Waters Band - outstanding, and included Little Walter Jimmy Rogers, Otis Spann....wow.

The Eagles - perhaps the standard bearers, for American country making it to a rock plateau. They surely rule that genre. The Byrds indeed, though somewhat less prolific. The Band - worthy of mention, Doors, Creedence too.

Steely Dan are in a league of their own really, several quality albums, jazzy blues rock...is that what it is? Whatever it is, they did it well.

I hate to mention the Beach Boys because they have really come out with some embarrassing rubbish - but then there was some good stuff too.

Alice Cooper had his moments, especially Killer and Schools Out. The Stooges lead the punk revolution for me, the MC5 might have become something more, I never liked The Velvet Underground but they are said to have influenced many.

I just don't like Aerosmith or Van Halen, but they were at the top of their respective pile.

The Supremes, Isley Brothers, (Stevie Wonder for solo artist) Temptations and Four Tops, Drifters.

Talking Heads. Too good to be left out here, the rhythm section of Tina Weymouth and her drumming hubby were stellar.
Parliament/Funkadelic - always on the edge of getting it on! Funny and tripping the funky fantastic.

Blondie, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Cars, X.

Dig, Pixies, White Stripes, Vibrators, Reverend Horton Heat, Helio Sequence,
Chrome (sniggers at own joke, but I still like to mention them), Residents, Tuxedomoon.

I categorically and deliberately refuse to place 'the grateful dead' anywhere in this except to say that they draw huge crowds of fanatic folllowers. They are, however, total shit, and cannot be taken seriously as best at anything, except playing bad music slowly. They fall somewhere far beneath the Monkees in any list.

So, after careful thought and weighing of the possibilities, I will select as greatest ever American group (drum roll.....)........

The Banana Splits.

lalala, la la la-la,
lalala, la-la la laaa

:clap:

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
In more or less chronological order:

The Beach Boys
Love
The Doors
New York Dolls
Television
The Ramones
Sonic Youth
REM
The White Stripes

Some of the newer bands have potential (the Strokes, The Rapture, The Killers), but it's too early to judge their staying power yet...

If I had to pick one, then either Sonic Youth or the Ramones.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Queens of the Stone Age, altogether now;

Nicotine, Valium, Vicodin, Marijuana, Ectasy and Alcohol

C-c-c-c-c-cocaine
C-c-c-c-c-cocaine
C-c-cocaine
C-c-c-c-c-cocaine

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
THROWING MUSES (and all their offshoots: Belly, Breeders, Kristin Hersh, Lakuna, 50ft Wave, Tanya Donelly)
GALAXIE 500 (and all their offshoots: Luna, Dean Wareham & Britta Phillips, Cagnee & Lacey, Damon & Naomi, Pierre Etoile.)

13 for the price of 2.

I could then start doing a long list not dissimilar to Pevenseagull's (esp Mazzy Star), but I'll leave it at that.

Jul 20, 2003
bhafc99 said:

GALAXIE 500 (and all their offshoots: Luna, Dean Wareham & Britta Phillips, Cagnee & Lacey, Damon & Naomi, Pierre Etoile.)

you forgot 'Magic Hour'

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
swiss tony said:
Seeing as their seems to be so many committed and knowledgeable musos on this board (plus a few twazzocks who have absolutely no idea), I thought perhaps a discussion of the best Yank band might be in order.

I reckon we should allow solo artists too otherwise you have to exclude perhaps two of the WORLD's all time greatest: Dylan and Neil Young.

My top 3 would be as follows:

1. Bob Dylan (& The Band) - beyond reproach.
2. Neil Young - cool as.
3. The Pixies - gutted I missed their recent reunion tour due to living in the depths of Central America.

Keep on Rocking in the Free World!!!

Feel I have to agree 66% with Swiss Tony
1. Bob Dylan and the Band
2. Neil Young and Crazy Horse
and .... 3. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Richie Morris said:
They are all shit.

I only have respect for three american groups:

- Bob Dylan.
- Jimi Hendrix.
- The Supremes.

Oh, and Burt Bacharach.

3 out of your 4 are not groups at all!

and your "all shit" statement is rubbish coming from the champion of the ordinary boys and ocean bloody colour scene!

best 3:

neil young & crazy horse
uncle tupelo
the byrds

awesome!

Willow

Jul 6, 2003
Didcot
Not a fan of contemporary american music at all, but I really enjoy the music of...

The Pixes
The Beach Boys
Hank Williams

I enjoy a lot of the old hillbilly and bluegrass stuff too, for which, rather disappointingly, most people think I'm plain weird :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here