Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Best 0-0 draw I ever saw was....

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Coventry away at Highfield Road under Steve Coppell

a proper end to end game and I've got no idea how it ended 0-0. Zamora hit the bar and it was one of Sidwell's last appearances (possibly the last?) before Reading signed him.

Alexis Mac Allisters dad, Gary, was playing for Coventry
I think it was their last season at Highfield Road, I couldn’t believe that they were leaving that ground. It was a cracking stadium and still in good repair as far as I could see.

We battered them that day, just couldn’t stick it in the net.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

a proper end to end game and I've got no idea how it ended 0-0. Zamora hit the bar and it was one of Sidwell's last appearances (possibly the last?) before Reading signed him.

Yes, remember that being a good game - good atmosphere too, shame they left Highfield Road.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Barnet away FA Cup 1982.

First visit to Underhill, the romance of the cup, minnow against giant, the slope, an almost unplayable pitch due to the mud, how can you fail to enjoy that.

OK I've woken up now, another vote for the away draw at Spurs

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
At White Hart Lane in 1978.

At the time it was the biggest crowd I'd been in, and a terrific atmosphere.

Fabulous display by The Albion which was not just a rearguard action against a Spurs team who still thought they were in the First Division.

Absolutely this one.
Had everything both on & off the pitch - getting home was reminiscent of a scene from 'The Warriors'.
Met a couple of Spurs fans during my many years here in Sydney who both attended that game too and who also have great memories of that day.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A proper backs against the wall 0-0 away at Leicester in Jan 2009. Just before Micky Adams left but it was a moment I thought we might not get relegated. As it happens we needed spade to save us but shortly into the following season the Gus Bus rolled into town and we were off. At the times leics were top and we were either in or close to league 1 relegation zone. Big point.

Yep - this one gets my vote, too. Outstanding display from John Sullivan in the Albion goal. One of the best I've seen from an Albion keeper in the 40 years of watching.

One tip over the bar, from a (Matty Fryatt?) close range header, is still fresh in my mind now.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Reading away when we won the title ahead of them in 2002. We packed out the away end (as we always did in those days). We played very well that day and were denied a winning goal by a dubious refereeing decision.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I think it was their last season at Highfield Road, I couldn’t believe that they were leaving that ground. It was a cracking stadium and still in good repair as far as I could see.

We battered them that day, just couldn’t stick it in the net.

I thought it was their last season as well, but when I looked it up it closed in 2005 and this game would have been in the 2002-03 season

Thinking about it I do remember us playing there again on our return to the second tier (we lost I think)

But you're right- the stadium was in perfectly fine condition having been fairly recently renovated and was big enough for Coventry- bizarre decision to leave

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Several Cov fans spoke to us on the way back to the car. They more or less said, there was only one team in that game and they were relieved to get a point. It certainly wasn't boring.
As others have said, a real shame they left Highfield Road.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Was at WHL too

What I liked about it was the 48k crowd turned up to watch because Spurs were playing Brighton
That was our 1st big time game IMO

Halifax 1975 an evening game
Must look up the Halifax keeper,he had a blinder and received a deserved round of applause from the South Stand

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Several Cov fans spoke to us on the way back to the car. They more or less said, there was only one team in that game and they were relieved to get a point. It certainly wasn't boring.
As others have said, a real shame they left Highfield Road.

I was at that game and did not see an incident that I have since heard about from people involved. My mate was close to Cov first team at the time (he wasn’t my mate then) and he was kicking the ball about at half time on the pitch. One of the other ressies pinged the ball on purpose at the club mascot and smacked him on the head. I am told there was An incident in the tunnel when they walked off the pitch.

We battered them that day.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Was at WHL too

What I liked about it was the 48k crowd turned up to watch because Spurs were playing Brighton
That was our 1st big time game IMO

Halifax 1975 an evening game
Must look up the Halifax keeper,he had a blinder and received a deserved round of applause from the South Stand

From what I remember there was a good Albion following there

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
From what I remember there was a good Albion following there

There was,can't remember how many though
Just dug out the programme and the game prior to that at WHL was against Burnley in front of 30k
Their biggest gate before our game was 35k against Coventry in the league cup

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Albion 0-0 Bristol Rovers 26/09/1970 My first ever Brighton Game.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I thought it was their last season as well, but when I looked it up it closed in 2005 and this game would have been in the 2002-03 season

Thinking about it I do remember us playing there again on our return to the second tier (we lost I think)

But you're right- the stadium was in perfectly fine condition having been fairly recently renovated and was big enough for Coventry- bizarre decision to leave

The 0-0 we wore red.

We then lost 2-1, Virgo scored and we wore the Palokaville kit. They scored a penalty and another right at the end.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Rushden and Diamonds at Withdean...

Went with a ocuple of mates and we were having some back and forth with Billy Turley (the R&D 'keeper) before the game.

I think they had conceded 5 or 6 the week before so a light hearted back and forth about how many he would concede that afternoon was followed by a 0-0 and we couldn't help but chuckle whenever he pulled off a save. very unlikely that he cared what we had said but it felt like he had a look over a smile at the final whistle.

As an aside - he seemed like a decent bloke so is a bit of a cult hero in our little circle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here