Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The beginning of the end for Royal Mail ?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
The RM instead of rying to change the service might do better to run the existing one. The amount of revenue they must be losing by unfranked mail these days is staggering, I would estimate 50% of stamped mail gets through uncancelled. And nearly everyone i know regards an uncancelled stamp as "recyclable".

When stamps were introduced in 1840 the key concern of the GPO was to render all stamps un-reusable, hence "Maltese Cross" cancellations and other unremovable postmarks.

But what did the Victorians ever do for us...

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
until we left england i never realised just how over priced basic post is in the uk.

i can send a card, standard letter from here to the uk for $1.10, about 55p. from 8,000 miles away and it arrives in about 4 days. to send something within country here it is 25p standard and arrives the next day.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
This. I never saw the point. We have a few directories under the stairs and the internet is even more effective, so why would anyone use 118?

Very much this - why does anyone need a yellow pages etc. these days, I have no idea. I don't think I've taken the plastic wrapper off my YP or Phone book for a least 5 years, and have never one thought about calling a 118 number (even if the ads hadn't put me off)

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Bank Statements are delivered first class... as far as I am aware, thats how everyone gets them and everyone has got them.

I have a perfectly good letterbox on my door, the postie just decides to enter the building a dump the mail in easy access for everyone, during tradesmans hours anyone can enter the building, whats to stop them stealing my (and anyone elses in the block) bank statements?

After all, it would be my stupid fault if I didn't dispose of them correctly and they got nicked at the other end of the cycle.
Bank statements are NOT delivered 1st Class.
For a start they are sent Business Post 3 to 5 working days .
2nd thing is that most Business post is creamed off by TNT or UK Mail but get Royal Mail to beliver it the last mile for 2p.
3rd thing is to ring the delivery office and speak to the Delivery Office Manager who will dissapline the postman

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
3rd thing is to ring the delivery office and speak to the Delivery Office Manager who will dissapline the postman
And then promote him :lol:

keithbeaky

Dec 26, 2011
A postie tried to deliver me a brand new iphone 5 on Monday. After posting my letters through the letter box he knocked on the door. I answered after the second knock and he gave me the phone in the box after saying he was going to leave it in the porch. I looked at the name and address which was nothing like mine, nor was the address even close in name OR number. I told him it wasn't for me and he replied "oh is it in the wrong name" and I said "yes and the wrong address mate". He looked at me, shrugged his shoulders took it back out of my hands and walked off.

Id like to think most would have done the same but I've just given him about £500 haven't I?

A postie tried to deliver me a brand new iphone 5 on Monday. After posting my letters through the letter box he knocked on the door. I answered after the second knock and he gave me the phone in the box after saying he was going to leave it in the porch. I looked at the name and address which was nothing like mine, nor was the address even close in name OR number. I told him it wasn't for me and he replied "oh is it in the wrong name" and I said "yes and the wrong address mate". He looked at me, shrugged his shoulders took it back out of my hands and walked off.

Id like to think most would have done the same but I've just given him about £500 haven't I?

I have very little time for the way Royal Mail Wholesale goes about it's business and have been and will remain to be a huge critic of that side of the business, but I have yet to meet a run of the mill Postman who would steal.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was told by a postman that posting a letter in Haywards Heath made no difference whether it had a 1st class or 2nd class stamp on it as all mail leaves HH at 2pm every day to go to the sorting area. So if you post it to catch the last post at 5.15 as shown on the box it will go from the depot a 2.00pm next day. Hence I put 2nd class stamp on everything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here