Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Beach Boys

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Phenominal gig. Absolutely superb age is but a number when it comes to that lot.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Phenominal gig. Absolutely superb age is but a number when it comes to that lot.

Agreed.. up there with one of the best gigs i've seen.

For those who are interested, the below is the set list:

1. Do It Again
2. Little Honda
3. Catch a Wave
4. Hawaii
5. Don't Back Down
6. Surfin' Safari
7. Surfer Girl
8. The Little Girl I Once Knew
9. This Whole World
10. Wendy
11. Getcha Back
12. Then I Kissed Her
13. Please Let Me Wonder
14. Marcella
15. You're So Good to Me
16. Kiss Me, Baby
17. Isn't It Time
18. Come Go with Me
19. Why Do Fools Fall in Love
20. When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)
21. Dance, Dance, Dance
22. Darlin'
23. Disney Girls
24. Good Timin'
25. It's OK
26. Cotton Fields
27. Be True to Your School
28. Ballad of Ole' Betsy
29. Still Cruisin'
30. Don't Worry Baby
31. Little Deuce Coupe
32. 409
33. Shut Down
34. I Get Around

Part 2:

35. Pet Sounds
36. Add Some Music to Your Day
37. Sail on, Sailor
38. Our Prayer
39. Heroes and Villains
40. I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
41. Summer's Gone
42. Let Him Run Wild
43. California Dreamin'
44. California Saga: California
45. In My Room
46. All This Is That
47. That's Why God Made the Radio
48. Forever
49. God Only Knows
50. Sloop John B
51. Wouldn't It Be Nice
52. Good Vibrations
53. California Girls
54. All Summer Long
55. Help Me, Rhonda
56. Rock and Roll Music
57. Do You Wanna Dance?
58. Surfin' U.S.A.

Encore:
59. Kokomo
60. Barbara Ann
61. Fun, Fun, Fun

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Dear God!

I struggled getting through four songs watching Later last night. They were at their best jamming Barbara Ann round the piano with Jools.

That said, they were an iconic band of their time and fair play for them cracking on into their 70s.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
To be fair, TV never represents the feel of live music

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Excellent gig but hate the Venue. Mind you the concourses reminded me of the Amex at half time.

We were really lucky because although we had seats we were dead centre and had a great bunch around us. TMLS's boss went to see them at the Albert Hall a few days ago and said they upped the Wembley Show by about 3 gears from the Albert Hall performance. I don't like huge areans for concerts but I think that's about as good as it gets for that kind of gig. Thank your lucky stars it wasn't at the O2 which rivals the Brighton Centre for being the worst live venue in the UK imho.

Performance-wise, there was a point where Jardine forgot the words, Johnston's voice as lead is a bit iffy but as backing is still great and there was one song, can't remember which one but Mike Love seemed to struggle with. I said this to my friends at the time but you can just sense with the way that the band were situated and the manner in which they conducted themselves onstage that Mike Love controls everything and it was a little bit unnerving to see that and of course, know the back history of the band.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
We were really lucky because although we had seats we were dead centre and had a great bunch around us. TMLS's boss went to see them at the Albert Hall a few days ago and said they upped the Wembley Show by about 3 gears from the Albert Hall performance. I don't like huge areans for concerts but I think that's about as good as it gets for that kind of gig. Thank your lucky stars it wasn't at the O2 which rivals the Brighton Centre for being the worst live venue in the UK imho.

Performance-wise, there was a point where Jardine forgot the words, Johnston's voice as lead is a bit iffy but as backing is still great and there was one song, can't remember which one but Mike Love seemed to struggle with. I said this to my friends at the time but you can just sense with the way that the band were situated and the manner in which they conducted themselves onstage that Mike Love controls everything and it was a little bit unnerving to see that and of course, know the back history of the band.

Yeah i'd agree with all that - though I thought the a capella 'recovery' from Al Jardine for the first line of Then I Kissed her was funny!

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
With my musical tastes, The Beach Boys are a band I should like but I still can't make the connection - even with 'Pet Sounds' which I keep going back to and still struggle to listen to all the way through. It's a strange 'un and no mistake. I'm like it with The Clash as well.

Golden Oldie

Feb 10, 2004
Last night was absolutely fantastic. I was worried that the whole "last ever performance" etc would be a let down, especially after seeing the Jools Holland' show, but the very good backing band covers up the shortfalls - let's be honest, the remaining Beach Boys are all well into their 60's/70's, so what do you expect? - and a sell out crowd (except for the miserable stony faced git behind me) was there for a sing song celebration. That's what they got and when Al Jardine messed up the first line of "When I kissed her", the crowd showed they knew the words even better than he did!
I've also done a few of their shows since the 60's, and this was the best ever.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
well to the tune of california girls

"i wish they all could be brighton n hove albion"
"BIRDS"

Sorry was bit pissed.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
With all due respect that is absolute bollocks. I went with [MENTION=2422]Tony Meolas Loan Spell[/MENTION] and a couple of others last night and we both agreed it was one of the best gigs we've ever been to (and we've seen one or two in our time). It was a phenomenal gig from start to finish and they were on top form, Brian Wilson was extremely with-it last night, laughing and joking, Jardine was just in his element, Marks and Johnston were effortlessly cool and Mike Love absolutely bossed it at centre stage.

I spoke with others who had seen the Beach Boys before and they said that this was up there with the best that they can remember.

Wish I'd been there!

Jul 20, 2003
Agreed.. up there with one of the best gigs i've seen.

For those who are interested, the below is the set list:

1. Do It Again
2. Little Honda
3. Catch a Wave
4. Hawaii
5. Don't Back Down
6. Surfin' Safari
7. Surfer Girl
8. The Little Girl I Once Knew
9. This Whole World
10. Wendy
11. Getcha Back
12. Then I Kissed Her
13. Please Let Me Wonder
14. Marcella
15. You're So Good to Me
16. Kiss Me, Baby
17. Isn't It Time
18. Come Go with Me
19. Why Do Fools Fall in Love
20. When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)
21. Dance, Dance, Dance
22. Darlin'
23. Disney Girls
24. Good Timin'
25. It's OK
26. Cotton Fields
27. Be True to Your School
28. Ballad of Ole' Betsy
29. Still Cruisin'
30. Don't Worry Baby
31. Little Deuce Coupe
32. 409
33. Shut Down
34. I Get Around

Part 2:

35. Pet Sounds
36. Add Some Music to Your Day
37. Sail on, Sailor
38. Our Prayer
39. Heroes and Villains
40. I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
41. Summer's Gone
42. Let Him Run Wild
43. California Dreamin'
44. California Saga: California
45. In My Room
46. All This Is That
47. That's Why God Made the Radio
48. Forever
49. God Only Knows
50. Sloop John B
51. Wouldn't It Be Nice
52. Good Vibrations
53. California Girls
54. All Summer Long
55. Help Me, Rhonda
56. Rock and Roll Music
57. Do You Wanna Dance?
58. Surfin' U.S.A.

Encore:
59. Kokomo
60. Barbara Ann
61. Fun, Fun, Fun

no 'I Know There's an Answer'? I'd have been GUTTED

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Intermission time (needed as the guys are about 70 ish)
Have to say not disappointed at all... If I've got this much energy and power and harmony in my voice at that age I'll be pleased! Top notch show so far...

My mate and I thought Al Jardine was excellent, and Wilson not bad considering what he's put himself through. I wasn't that impressed with Mike Love though - can only be what happened to the Wilsons that has enabled him to end up as band leader. Interesting to find out who hits all the high notes too - Jeff Foskett - I used to think it was one of the Wilsons. Going on what I saw, if Love is getting rid of Wilson and Jardine, then he's getting rid of the cream of the band.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I went and the concert was superb. Al Jardine's voice was still pretty intact but Brian Wilson's, Mike Love's and Bruce Johnson's voices are all pretty shot but it didn't matter because the superb Jeffrey Foskett was orchestrating the show and he, along with members of the Wondermints and other highly capable musicians and singers ensured superb renditions of all their songs. Also two very moving tributes to Dennis and Carl Wilson. All in all a fantastic experience and all the more poignant because, as others have suggested, I don't think we'll see them again.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
With all due respect that is absolute bollocks. I went with [MENTION=2422]Tony Meolas Loan Spell[/MENTION] and a couple of others last night and we both agreed it was one of the best gigs we've ever been to (and we've seen one or two in our time). It was a phenomenal gig from start to finish and they were on top form, Brian Wilson was extremely with-it last night, laughing and joking, Jardine was just in his element, Marks and Johnston were effortlessly cool and Mike Love absolutely bossed it at centre stage.

I spoke with others who had seen the Beach Boys before and they said that this was up there with the best that they can remember.

My experience of it wasn't 'bollocks' then was it, but simply different. I was in the front row, about two meters (maybe less) from him at the Television Awards. He was pretending to play the keyboard, everyone with me knew it too. It's not a gripe, he's a lot older than he was and has had a lot of health problems. Still, I'm glad you enjoyed the gig Buzzer, that's the main thing.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Interesting to find out who hits all the high notes too - Jeff Foskett - I used to think it was one of the Wilsons.

Initially it was Brian, then when he stopped touring Carl took over. Jeff comfortably and discretely covers them and without the big screens people not in the know would assume it was Brian again.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Interesting to find out who hits all the high notes too - Jeff Foskett - I used to think it was one of the Wilsons.

Initially it was Brian, then when he stopped touring Carl took over. Jeff comfortably and discretely covers them and without the big screens people not in the know would assume it was Brian again.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My experience of it wasn't 'bollocks' then was it, but simply different. I was in the front row, about two meters (maybe less) from him at the Television Awards. He was pretending to play the keyboard, everyone with me knew it too. It's not a gripe, he's a lot older than he was and has had a lot of health problems. Still, I'm glad you enjoyed the gig Buzzer, that's the main thing.

Apologies. That was a bit aggressive of me in my reply. I was questioning about it just being for the nostalgia value. I take your point though and yes, I did enjoy the gig immensely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here