Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The Barbeque Thread

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'll throw my hat in the ring then.

Weber 57cm Kettle (x2 for some reason)
Masterbuilt ME130 electric smoker modified with an Inkbird ITC-310T temperature controller.
Masterbuilt ME130 electric smoker standard, which is somewhat redundant.
Weber Sprirt gas bbq.
Cypriot souvlaki rotisserie bbq.
Turkish Tokat Mangali wood fired stove.
Mini kettle BBQ for trips out.

20" ceramic egg.
Mini cermaic egg.

To be honest, I use the 20" ceramic egg for 75% of my cooks now, I love it, a game changer. As has been mentioned before there are plenty of gadgets available, for me the automatic electronic fan is brilliant. I can light the charcoal before bed, stick in a brisket or pork joint, and leave it cooking over night, the fan ensures the temperature is pretty much bang on 100C all night, and then you have a beautifully low n slow cooked meat joint the following day.

The weber kettle gets used for things like wings and when I have a crowd round, also the Cypriot one is brilliant for fuss free cooking when there are a few round, it takes 12 skewers at a time.

I don't have an issue with gas bbqs, it's not a cooker in the garden, when did you last grill steaks, chicken or burgers over a flame in the kitchen? It's perfect for when you just get home from work and fancy a quick grill, and if you use a smoke box you can get a superb smokey taste too.

It's a great hobby, I'm hankering after an offset smoker and also maybe one of those Ninja Woodfires. And so long as the food tastes great, it really doesn't matter what you cook it on.
My post on this thread was tongue-in-cheek, but I am seriously impressed with you (and others). I really never knew there was so much to it, given that I am literally still at the caveman level of basically just cooking over an open fire.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Now I know its not a BBQ but I bloomin' love my flat top grill. Nothing better for doing smash burgers, philly cheese steaks and the like.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
My post on this thread was tongue-in-cheek, but I am seriously impressed with you (and others). I really never knew there was so much to it, given that I am literally still at the caveman level of basically just cooking over an open fire.
You need to be looking at this chap then, www.firetofork.net he has some great tips for ultra basic cooking in the wild! I love him.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Living in a 1st floor flat, we cant have a BBQ unfortunately, even though I was bought a nice coal fired one that hangs on the balcony 😎, but my wife's brother BBQ's all year round, no matter the weather - even does a mean breakfast on it too!

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
all this bbq talks made me hungry so just been out to light up with Weber Kettle.
Nice whole chicken with a Home made spice rub, onion salt, garlic granules, hot smoke paprika, cumin and some dark soft brown sugar.
Briquettes ( i find they give a more steady heat than lump wood) and some cherry wood for the smoke.
Hour and a half at 400 f served with a nice chopped veg based salad.
And as a special treat, just one (🙄) glass wine - been in a bloody diet now for the last 3 weeks so only allow myself the choice one pint or one glass wine per week … it’s hard but i’ve lost 10 and half pounds in just under 4 weeks so it’s worthwhile.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
I’ve been buying chunks of wood rather than chips. Found it to smoke well and a great selection of woods, lumps tend to be small fist size. gwernyfedwood.co.uk
Agree. Chips burn too hot and fast even if soaked . Chunks is the way to go and remember meat will only take on the smoke in the 1st few hours on a long cook. Dont be tempted to add more hours in.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
It's still very hot and mid BBQ season here, but last night 😉

If you don't light it with one of those chimney things and don't use charcoal or briquettes it ain't a barbeque.

It's a kitchen utensil ???
BBQ is a way of life here. It can be anything from a few bricks with a grill on top to a pre mold concrete thing with a wood stove on the side but never gas or the other fancy bbq things.
I hated lighting bbqs until I got here. Here they simply wrap a few lengths of toilet roll around the four fingers and twist off the bottom to make a kind of cup. Place it into the top of the charcoal mound, pour some used cooking oil in and set light to it.
Works every time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And as a special treat, just one (🙄) glass wine - been in a bloody diet now for the last 3 weeks so only allow myself the choice one pint or one glass wine per week … it’s hard but i’ve lost 10 and half pounds in just under 4 weeks so it’s worthwhile.

Good job. I was thinking of suggesting you stay away from this thread while you diet, but protein is perfect for dieting. Tuck into your chicken guilt free (but don't go eating loads of carbs with it).

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
all this bbq talks made me hungry so just been out to light up with Weber Kettle.
Nice whole chicken with a Home made spice rub, onion salt, garlic granules, hot smoke paprika, cumin and some dark soft brown sugar.
Briquettes ( i find they give a more steady heat than lump wood) and some cherry wood for the smoke.
Hour and a half at 400 f served with a nice chopped veg based salad.
No no no... 🙂 don't use briquettes, lump wood is way way better. Get the commercial grade lump wood for long lasting charcoal. Otherwise tesco or whatever lump wood is fine for short bbqs.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
BBQ is a way of life here. It can be anything from a few bricks with a grill on top to a pre mold concrete thing with a wood stove on the side but never gas or the other fancy bbq things.
I hated lighting bbqs until I got here. Here they simply wrap a few lengths of toilet roll around the four fingers and twist off the bottom to make a kind of cup. Place it into the top of the charcoal mound, pour some used cooking oil in and set light to it.
Works every time.
Never heard of this way of lighting before, will keep it in mind. I always use a chimney starter with paper but this is an option if no paper around. No no no to lighter fuel as well.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
No no no... 🙂 don't use briquettes, lump wood is way way better. Get the commercial grade lump wood for long lasting charcoal. Otherwise tesco or whatever lump wood is fine for short bbqs.
why do you favour lump wood?

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Is this really your thread title? I though it was about French player we had lined up. Disappointed.

On a serious note, anyone got one of these? On sale at my local artisan food outlet. A bit pricey at £1,400, perhaps.

View attachment 185970
My mate who lives in the US has one and was saying what good value they were. When I showed him how much they cost to buy in the UK he couldn't believe it - at the time we were being charged double the US pay for them. Not sure they have got much cheaper in the last 18 months or so.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
why do you favour lump wood?
They give a better flavour to the meat imho. Also get hotter, if your doing fast cooking. I think they are easier to light as well although anything is easy in a chimney starter. Commercial lumpwood is really big lumps usually so will last long enough for slow cooks.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
They give a better flavour to the meat imho. Also get hotter, if your doing fast cooking. I think they are easier to light as well although anything is easy in a chimney starter. Commercial lumpwood is really big lumps usually so will last long enough for slow cooks.
the chimney starter is probably one of the best accessories anyone can get when starting out. Makes lighting a breeze.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Keep thinking of adding a pizza oven to the collection. Anyone have any experience of the Gozney wood fired oven?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Quick question for the experts, I use a chimney starter on my Weber kettle but living in an urban area in close proximity to others i’m conscious of the smoke that starts with the lighting process so only have bbq’s after 5pm, i would prefer afternoon bbq’s but don’t wish to upset anyone, any tips to reduces smoke, i started using screwed up newspaper and then tried natural fire lighters, i still can’t reduce that initial smoke from chimney, i use branded webber charcoal briquettes in case anyone asks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here