Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Bank of England's Mervyn King says....

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Whoever wins this election could after all the spending cuts and financial rough riide end up unelectable for a generation.

He should concentrate on the Darts.

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
The last prime minister coming in to sort out Labour inspired economic train wreck was Maggie Thatcher. She didn't do so bad.

Not sure that DC is made of the same stuff though

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I think he is absolutely right henceforth the Lib Dems are being given a fair run at it so that the other two can turn around & blame them therefore being able to continue their double act forever more.
The liberals were in power once, when the country had a major issue neither of the big 2 wanted to touch which was giving Ireland independence.
Whoever gains power will have to make this country take some very unpopular medicine so I think mervyn has got it right.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The last time the Liberals were in power, they declared war on Germany and the Austro-Hungarian Empire. That might be a bit of an over-reaction come next week.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The last time the Liberals were in power, they declared war on Germany and the Austro-Hungarian Empire. That might be a bit of an over-reaction come next week.

You never know, a week is a long time in politics. Gordon might call them all bigots or something.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
"She didn't do so bad."Quoted by an uninformed idiot

No she just wrecked British society and all moral values for future generations.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I find it amazing that Cameron wants to get Britain back manufacturing seeing that it was Thatcher and the conservatives did so much to close it down and force it abroad not so long ago.

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
"She didn't do so bad."Quoted by an uninformed idiot

No she just wrecked British society and all moral values for future generations.

This uninformed idiot clearly has a much better memory than you sir.

She saved British Society from the grip of the unions - remember the winter of discontent by any chance? Clearly not. Such high moral values existed before she came to power.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
Teenage gangs did not obtain firearms prior to Thatcher destroying the social glue of British Society.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The last prime minister coming in to sort out Labour inspired economic train wreck was Maggie Thatcher. She didn't do so bad.

hahahah she f***ed it up you clown and we are still paying for some of that now.

Labour sorted out a hell of a lot of the tory shite, we don't know how good we have it until that lot get back in

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
Teenage gangs did not obtain firearms prior to Thatcher destroying the social glue of British Society.

:lol::lol:

....and that bloody volcano in Iceland was all her fault as well.

Incredible

Do you actually have any knowledge or experience of life or do you just like coming up with random statements that you think sound clever?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
by turning a booming economy into th worst recession in living memory. Great.

Sorry I'm with the others I remember leaving school with Thatcher in power and having no chance of a job. As they say she laid the foundations for the decline of morales and social awareness in this country.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
This uninformed idiot clearly has a much better memory than you sir.

She saved British Society from the grip of the unions - remember the winter of discontent by any chance? Clearly not. Such high moral values existed before she came to power.

I remember the three day week under the tories also. And we had discontent under the tories then too.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
by turning a booming economy into th worst recession in living memory. Great.

I'm no New Labour fan but can you explain how Brown has turned Britains booming economy into a recession that somehow affected other countries such as USA, Germany, Dubai (UAE) and Spain & Greece.

It should be simple for you to explain how Britain and Brown caused those economies to fail at the same time?

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
I'm no New Labour fan but can you explain how Brown has turned Britains booming economy into a recession that somehow affected other countries such as USA, Germany, Dubai (UAE) and Spain & Greece.

It should be simple for you to explain how Britain and Brown caused those economies to fail at the same time?

Sorry, I am not sure where I said that Brown caused all those economies to fail at the same time. He was only responsible for the UK recession. As Chancellor of the Exchequer and then Prime Mininster over the last 13 years (of what is still one of the major economies of the world), I am not sure how anyone can attempt to distance him from it.

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
Sorry, I am not sure where I said that Brown caused all those economies to fail at the same time. He was only responsible for the UK recession. As Chancellor of the Exchequer and then Prime Mininster over the last 13 years (of what is still one of the major economies of the world), I am not sure how anyone can attempt to distance him from it.

What he is saying is that it was a global crisis and although we could have been more prepared to deal with it, it wasn't solely caused by this government. Only Tory backers would place the entire blame on Brown which is quite frankly ludicrous.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire

I think your lamps have gone down with this dim comment.Were you even alive when Thatcher was tearing up the fabric of Britain ?

I think your lamps have gone down with this dim comment.Were you even alive when Thatcher was tearing up the fabric of Britain ?

Boohoo...the bitch snatched my milk....boohoo....

Sigh...yet another one who never seems to post about anything other than the beastly Tories. They haven't been in power for 13 years. Stop whinging and get over it. She'll be dead soon anyway.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Boohoo...the bitch snatched my milk....boohoo....

Sigh...yet another one who never seems to post about anything other than the beastly Tories. They haven't been in power for 13 years. Stop whinging and get over it. She'll be dead soon anyway.

They did leave a legacy that was irremovable which Labour had to continue with otherwise cause meltdown. What the Tories did was leave a political infrastructure that could not be dismantled & the real power in this country remains with them at all times through Quangoes & such like. I know I'll be shot down for this but it is true. It would take a long time to make real changes so whoever gets in needs plenty of time to make much difference because there is a minefield of issues that need to be negotiated that includes lots of stuff the Tories actually began last time they were in power & the effects are still being felt today. The EU is not something that Labour are entirely responsible for because the Tories brought us a lot closer to Europe too.

Having watched some of the Party Political broadcasts I think UKIP may actually be a viable answer!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here