Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The band/artist you never saw, never will, and regret the most because of it

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
That's the idea.

Regarding the poster above who saw Prefab Sprout live, often if you are unfamiliar with the music it has little impact. That's why the three occasions when I saw Elvis Costello live in the 70s were disappointing - most of the sets were of unreleased material for the next LP. Odd.

I'm still scratching my head to think if anyone tops Prefab Sprout. Steely Dan played two dates at the Rainbow in 74....and I liked them a lot, but they don't resonate with me like Prefab Sprout does. I was too young for The Doors (Morrison is my number one charismatic 'front man' - may have posted a thread on this recently) and Hendrix, and I didn't really like the Beatles or Stones much. Bowie at the Dome (my mate Roy was caned for bunking off school to buy tickets for that) and Bowie in Vancouver in 83 would have been nice, but I always preferred Peter Hammill to Bowie and all Bowie's live footage looks a bit naff to me. Seen Hammill loads of times. I remember an interviews Bowie did in the late 60s and in reply to 'where do you see yourself in 5 years' he said something along the lines of cabaret/family entertainment. I suspect had Hammill been asked the same question he would have just raised one eyebrow. I like Bowie, don't get me wrong, but I don't mind never having seen him live. Too 'show bizzy' for me.

One I did see that many on here would have loved to see was the original Lynyrd Skynyrd at the Dome. And the best version of Genesis (twice).

Hawkwind 77 you say. You didn't mention whether Stacia Blake, who I'm told was the inspiration for the Happy Monday's Bez, was with them at that gig :whistle:

I also saw Lynyrd Skynyrd at The Dome. They were supporting Golden Earring, right? 73 or 74

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I saw most of the punk/new wave/post punk bands.But I never saw the Sex Pistols and I wouldn't go and see them now,and I never got to see Generation X,I had a ticket but the bouncers didn't let me in because I was underage.I saw Lydon with Pil,but it was prettymuch a show band and I saw Matlock with the Rich Kids.

I was the same. Seen all the punk bands that I wanted to see (including Gen X at the Nashville in London, joined on stage by Johnny Thunders :love:) but never the Pistols, and like you I don't know anyone who did see them. Did they even really exist? I remember one the the Depression (Eric? the youngest one) cycling around Brighton from venue to venue because he'd heard a rumour they were playing that night, somewhere :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I also saw Lynyrd Skynyrd at The Dome. They were supporting Golden Earring, right? 73 or 74

That's right. And lots of people including me walked out on Golden Earring. Radar effing love :facepalm: :wink:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That's right. And lots of people including me walked out on Golden Earring. Radar effing love :facepalm: :wink:

I have only walked out of two concerts, Gary Numan (probably the catalyst in my HATING electronic music) and those Welsh head bangers Man

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Like others, Joy Division and Bob Marley both spring to mind.

Also sad I never saw the Go-Betweens in the classic line-up, with Lindy and Amanda. Saw a later incarnation twice, plus a Robert/Grant acoustic set, but the chance has definitely gone now.

:bowdown: Batchelor Kisses, Streets of Your Town :love:

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
I would have loved to see Flowered Up

Saw them play Stanmer Park. Pretty good but they brought their own crowd of mates / fans down from London who basically wanted a fight. Not a great surprise that the main two of the band (Maher brothers) both died of heroin overdoses.

“Weekender” though - what a tune!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think it's got to be David Bowie at Glastonbury in 2000. I'm not a big Bowie fan but it was the opportunity to see an absolute legend live. All my mates went. Me? I went to see Morcheeba.:facepalm:

I would have loved to have seen Nirvana live but Kurt died a few months before my 14th birthday so I wasn't quite old enough to get the opportunity. Other than that I'm gutted I never got to see peak Oasis. I got to see them several times but not in the peak 94-96 years.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Never saw the Stones of BOwie, or queen, I suppose I could have done, but not the way I'd have liked, ie a smaller venue, as opposed to a football stadium.

Agree with that. I was lucky enough to have seen Queen twice, at Birmingham NEC and Knebworth. The Knebworth one I really didn't particularly enjoy as there was over 100,000 there and I was about 100 miles from the stage. Much preferred the NEC gig.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
That's the idea.

Regarding the poster above who saw Prefab Sprout live, often if you are unfamiliar with the music it has little impact. That's why the three occasions when I saw Elvis Costello live in the 70s were disappointing - most of the sets were of unreleased material for the next LP. Odd.

I'm still scratching my head to think if anyone tops Prefab Sprout. Steely Dan played two dates at the Rainbow in 74....and I liked them a lot, but they don't resonate with me like Prefab Sprout does. I was too young for The Doors (Morrison is my number one charismatic 'front man' - may have posted a thread on this recently) and Hendrix, and I didn't really like the Beatles or Stones much. Bowie at the Dome (my mate Roy was caned for bunking off school to buy tickets for that) and Bowie in Vancouver in 83 would have been nice, but I always preferred Peter Hammill to Bowie and all Bowie's live footage looks a bit naff to me. Seen Hammill loads of times. I remember an interviews Bowie did in the late 60s and in reply to 'where do you see yourself in 5 years' he said something along the lines of cabaret/family entertainment. I suspect had Hammill been asked the same question he would have just raised one eyebrow. I like Bowie, don't get me wrong, but I don't mind never having seen him live. Too 'show bizzy' for me.

One I did see that many on here would have loved to see was the original Lynyrd Skynyrd at the Dome. And the best version of Genesis (twice).

Hawkwind 77 you say. You didn't mention whether Stacia Blake, who I'm told was the inspiration for the Happy Monday's Bez, was with them at that gig :whistle:

Retired, so never saw her wobbling her (considerable) bits - available on You Tube for those interested.

Jul 20, 2003
Also sad I never saw the Go-Betweens in the classic line-up, with Lindy and Amanda. Saw a later incarnation twice, plus a Robert/Grant acoustic set, but the chance has definitely gone now.

Same here.

Also XTC ... but I'm not to blame for that.

And would have gone to see Rush if I had actually listened to them properly in teens, twenties, thirties and indeed early forties rather than dismissing them as not my mind of thing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When I was at Uni in '78 The Clash were booked to play in the Student Union building but the Uni Film Society had the hall booked the same night and wouldn't give it up so the gig was cancelled. Every Film Soc poster that was put up over the next 2 years (and probably long after) had CLASH written across it in black marker pen. Oh, and my sister went to school with John Graham Mellor, a fact I rarely fail to tell people.

I’d have been armed with a marker as well if I went to your uni!

How was Mr Mellor as a kid? I meet him in Soho around 20-25 years ago. He came in with a girl and sat on the same table as me in the St Moritz Club. I struck up conversation and spent ages chatting to him, had a sip of the drink he was drinking (whisky I think) and he offered to buy a round. It got to the point where I felt I was intruding on his evening so I started to focus my talk more within my group of friends…..but he kept butting into our conversation so I gave up in the end. He was an absolute gent. Similarly, this is a fact I rarely fail to tell people :lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think it's got to be David Bowie at Glastonbury in 2000. I'm not a big Bowie fan but it was the opportunity to see an absolute legend live. All my mates went. Me? I went to see Morcheeba.:facepalm:

Winner :lolol: this has made me laugh, did you enjoy Morcheeba though?

I remember my friends going to see U2 when they played Jenkinsons in Brighton, I couldn’t be bothered because they weren’t really a favourite of mine at the time. Feel like I should have gone seeing as they went on to be massive.

Leosayer

Aug 25, 2011
Kent
Talk talk
David Bowie - gave my ticket away when I should have gone
The Clash
Lucky enough to see the final Jam gig in London, same with the Smiths

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Winner :lolol: this has made me laugh, did you enjoy Morcheeba though?

I remember my friends going to see U2 when they played Jenkinsons in Brighton, I couldn’t be bothered because they weren’t really a favourite of mine at the time. Feel like I should have gone seeing as they went on to be massive.

Yeah, they were ok...

I really didn't think I was missing anything at the time. He was just some old guy well past his prime who'd written a few half decent tunes 25-30 years previously.

Turns out it was a seminal performance and those half decent tunes are all time classics that have inspired generations of people and bands:lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yeah, they were ok...

I really didn't think I was missing anything at the time. He was just some old guy well past his prime who'd written a few half decent tunes 25-30 years previously.

Turns out it was a seminal performance and those half decent tunes are all time classics that have inspired generations of people and bands:lolol:

A good funny story to tell :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I have a similar story. In my first year at uni there were two gigs over the weekend in the 100-200 capacity union building. I only had enough money for one, and having heard the excellent Info Freako track elected to go to see Jesus Jones. Whilst they were good fun… I missed out on Stone Roses.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Pink Floyd, saw most of the proggies and rock bands in the 70's and 80's, never got around to the Floyd.

Later on wished I had seen Joy Division, since they were only up the road being a Northern Monkey in Cheshire should have done so.

Happily I latched onto the other Factory GIANTS Durutti Column instead (yes this is a joke) and saw them several times. Vini really shouldn't have done so much weed but hey ho..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here