Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 'Back from Hartlepool' Thread

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Also, without wishing to knock any of the 436, but do people THINK before they actually start some of the obscene chants we come out with? Is it really neccessary to sing 'Charlie, give us a wave' THREE times in the space of about a minute when he's clearly busy in the warm up laying the ball off to the attackers.

Oh, and '1-0 and you f***ed it up' when we had just got level? Jesus wept.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Also, without wishing to knock any of the 436, but do people THINK before they actually start some of the obscene chants we come out with? Is it really neccessary to sing 'Charlie, give us a wave' THREE times in the space of about a minute when he's clearly busy in the warm up laying the ball off to the attackers.

Oh, and '1-0 and you f***ed it up' when we had just got level? Jesus wept.

And the unfailingly tedious "you're just a small town in XXX", and "shit ground shit fans", and "sign on, sign on, with a pen, in your hand...", and "in your northern slums" (for a few moments yesterday, I thought I'd woken up in 1985, which was ironic as most of the people singing those songs were probably about three years old that year).

Best of all was "We're f***ing brilliant" before the game had even kicked off :facepalm: That's just tempting fate isn't it?

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
We pounced around for the first ten minutes playing our lovely passing game, and no doubt thinking we were on the way to repeating the Charlton and Peterborough walk overs. Then Harepool got the measure of us, and we couldn't respond, bar a 10 min spell around our goal (which was class, by the way). Hopefully we will now stop believing our own hype and start taking teams like Hartlepool seriously.
spot on jim passed the ball round lovely for the 1st 5/10 mins think we thought it was gonna be a lot easier than it was but credit to hartlepool they got stuck into us.loved the way gus went for it toi get us back in the game and there really only looked 1 winner in that little spell but they made a couple of changes and got the goal

i dont think the fans helped with the cockyness and hype at the start.....signing we are f...ing brilliant as we passed it around in the 1st 5 mins made us sound like a load of cocky southerners who thought they just had to turn upto win !! can we please wait until we get a lead before we sing such rubbish
then when it was 1 1 singing 1 0 and you f...ed it up haha if i was a hartlepool fan i'd have loved beating a bunch of cocky southerners can we please stop believing our own hype there is a bloody long way to go yet

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
And the unfailingly tedious "you're just a small town in XXX", and "shit ground shit fans", and "sign on, sign on, with a pen, in your hand...", and "in your northern slums" (for a few moments yesterday, I thought I'd woken up in 1985, which was ironic as most of the people singing those songs were probably about three years old that year).

Best of all was "We're f***ing brilliant" before the game had even kicked off :facepalm: That's just tempting fate isn't it?

Don't forget the Tom Hark 'Charlie Oatway, Charlie Oatway' for x amount of time, brief pause before some bright spark conjours up 'Lua Lua, Lua Lua'.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Moaning about the support. Class.

The performance wasn't bad, we weren't as quick in posession as we usually are, it was taking the players a second or so longer than usual to decide what to do with their pass, and that second is the difference between finding a player in space, and finding a player being closed down. We were guilty of that all over the pitch I thought, and I still think we're too negative and defensive when we don't have Sparrow in the midfield. Bridcutt, Kishishev and Dicker are all quite defensive minded and we are just lacking a bit of creativity there I think. And Bennett didn't get the ball at all, which meant we just weren't creating anything of note. Barnes and Murray rarely had the ball in attacking positions, and even when Barnes did get a chance he didn't realise it and hit a snapshot.

Would all have been different if we'd scored in that first minute though!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Apologies for not buying into the common misconception on here that we have the best support in England. Numbers, pretty good, quality of songs (recently, at least) horrendous.

I'm not saying we have the best support in England, obviously we don't. Not that it matters. The quality of song is poor, I'm not arguing that, but what's the point in slating people on here, and saying nothing at the time, or doing something about it?

I agree with Edna, singing "we're f***ing brilliant" before kick off was a poor decision, but it felt bloody good at the time. Would people have rathered it was quiet in the away end? What's more important, making noise singing (in your opinion) a stupid song, or just being quiet?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The whole build-up to the game reminded me in a way of Peterboro in reverse. Tano and various players talking about a victory and even Gus appearing confident. I could just see the Pool manager printing some of that out and pinning it to the dressing room door. He didn't need a motivating team talk. At least we didn't sing 'bring on the Champions'.

On the field we just seemed a little sluggish and over-confident. I wonder if we won't see too many changes for the Woking game as the players may need to get that out of their system sharpish.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I don't agree, Jim. We were unlucky with the first goal, the second goal we had a player lying injured on the floor and the third goal was great football against a team who had committed to attacking, that can happen to anyone, any game. I don't think they need to get it out of their systems, there's nothing to get rid of. It was a game we were beaten by the better team on the day in, that happens. I doubt the performances on saturday changed Gus' thinking for the team at Woking at all.

We lacked Matt Sparrow, that was my opinion. I would much rather Sparrow than Kishishev. Especially with Dicker and Bridcutt already in the side.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
I'm not saying we have the best support in England, obviously we don't. Not that it matters. The quality of song is poor, I'm not arguing that, but what's the point in slating people on here, and saying nothing at the time, or doing something about it?

I agree with Edna, singing "we're f***ing brilliant" before kick off was a poor decision, but it felt bloody good at the time. Would people have rathered it was quiet in the away end? What's more important, making noise singing (in your opinion) a stupid song, or just being quiet?

How do you know I didn't do anything at the time? Despite the fact I was further away from the centre where most of the 'singing' was originating, I still started chants with the people around me, and joined in with the ones that the people in the centre started (when they weren't ridiculous, of course).

As well as that, why should it be an ultimatum between two dire options? In answer to the question, I kept my mouth firmly shut when these songs were going on.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
How do you know I didn't do anything at the time? Despite the fact I was further away from the centre where most of the 'singing' was originating, I still started chants with the people around me, and joined in with the ones that the people in the centre started (when they weren't ridiculous, of course).

As well as that, why should it be an ultimatum between two dire options? In answer to the question, I kept my mouth firmly shut when these songs were going on.

I was at the other end, to the right of the goal in front of us, and I don't know you, so I don't pretend to know what you do at matches. Or care, really. I just think it's a bit harsh to start criticising the fans on here, retrospectively. I thought it was a good atmosphere for most of the match in our end. I enjoyed it, anyway, and considering the distance you travelled, I hope you did too.

I especially enjoyed all the banter with the goalkeeper aswell. :clap2: "IT'S COMING KEAN!".

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i dont think anyone is slating the support but as you have already admitted singing we are f***ing brilliant at thew start is just bloody stupid and all thats gonna do is help motivate the other team !
its a bit like when we started singing bring on the champions at southend before the season started all those years ago

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
i dont think anyone is slating the support but as you have already admitted singing we are f***ing brilliant at thew start is just bloody stupid and all thats gonna do is help motivate the other team !
its a bit like when we started singing bring on the champions at southend before the season started all those years ago

I'm quite glad the Hartlepool fans were a bit slow, otherwise they could have made us look a bit silly by chanting "we're f***ing brilliant" at 3-1 up. Happily, they didn't realise the chance for irony!

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton

It's what happens when, up until yesterday, you go on a run that Gus' army did. As stated earlier, there were some silly chants sung yesterday, but if you witnessed our performance against Peterborough a couple of weeks ago, the expectation (and arrogance) is going to be pretty high. This defeat might help bring those particular fans' perception of reality back down to earth.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
It's what happens when, up until yesterday, you go on a run that Gus' army did. As stated earlier, there were some silly chants sung yesterday, but if you witnessed our performance against Peterborough a couple of weeks ago, the expectation (and arrogance) is going to be pretty high. This defeat might help bring those particular fans' perception of reality back down to earth.
lets hope so because i think it was needed....think some thought we just had to turn upto win yesterday

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
For those that were doubting Hartlepool being nice, I took this piece of photography myself!

Attachments

• teeside.jpg
    teeside.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 89

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here