Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] The Azores..

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Looks like we are edging towards a week in the Azores including whale/dolphin watching excursions in September time. Looking for any advice/suggestions from anyone thats been, anything to be aware of or avoid, or must see things etc. Usual holiday tips/tricks would be welcome. Thanks.

Any Whale puns and i'll be blubbering..

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
What would i need to get a 10!

Maybe stopping there in the middle of a yacht delivery from St Lucia to Devon, like I did. 4 of us in a wooden 18 footer for 5 weeks!
Can't remember our island off hand it was about 4 hours to walk around the perimeter. Beautiful and wonderful to touch land. the harbour bar was open 24 hours and never seemed to not be full of merry local drinkers. even at breakfast time. Spent a happy 3 days there.
Volcanoes, blue sky, clear air, hydrangeas and beer are my memories. A quiet Channel Island vibe away from the Bar.

DudsFarm

Oct 2, 2020
Cheltenham
Was there about 20 years ago, visited 4 islands, one of the best holidays, whale watching was superb, lots of great walks, no beaches (a good thing), swim off the lava. Weather can be unpredictable, pouring tropical rain and hot sun on the same day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Maybe stopping there in the middle of a yacht delivery from St Lucia to Devon, like I did. 4 of us in a wooden 18 footer for 5 weeks!
Can't remember our island off hand it was about 4 hours to walk around the perimeter. Beautiful and wonderful to touch land. the harbour bar was open 24 hours and never seemed to not be full of merry local drinkers. even at breakfast time. Spent a happy 3 days there.
Volcanoes, blue sky, clear air, hydrangeas and beer are my memories. A quiet Channel Island vibe away from the Bar.
Burgh Island? Glorious!

But were it me I'd probably have stayed in St Lucia :shrug:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
We went to The Azores in February 2020 which obviously turned out to be a lucky time to get a holiday in! We stayed in Ponta Delgado, the captial city on the biggest island (Sao Miguel). It's a nice little city with narrow streets and good options for restaurants and cafes.

If you want spectacular views, it's worth a trip to one of the lookouts over the volcano lakes. I think we went to Miradouro da Boca do Inferno to take in the views. It's the money shot for The Azores.

We also did a trip to Furnas. They have lots of geysers to see and some good little hikes. You can also stop at Parque Terra Nostra and swim in the volcanically heated pools.

We also did a day trip to one of the other islands - Terceira. Lots of nice countryside and interesting little towns and villages.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Loved the place, but its not the place for sun worshipers or beaches. Its not the Canaries.

Great for walks, hot springs and wild swimming places. Great place to see Whales and Dolphins

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here