Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2024-25 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
GFS Ensemble 6Z 20-11-13.png

As this shows there is both little precipitation forecast after the next 12 hours, and also very little chance of any snow down here.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Chance of snow on 7th-8th December I believe. Especially in the West and North. May not make here though.

Mr Hankey

May 21, 2013
The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2013-14 season]

I'm waiting for a brown Christmas

Flex Your Head

The Met Office offer this for 2nd - 11th Dec:

"Temperatures should be around normal for the time of year in the south, but it is set to turn colder from the north. Later in this period, there is a chance that the colder conditions may spread south across the UK, with more wintry weather..."

Are we likely to see any snow this side of Christmas? I'm sure we have for each of the last 4 or 5 years.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Met Office offer this for 2nd - 11th Dec:

"Temperatures should be around normal for the time of year in the south, but it is set to turn colder from the north. Later in this period, there is a chance that the colder conditions may spread south across the UK, with more wintry weather..."

Are we likely to see any snow this side of Christmas? I'm sure we have for each of the last 4 or 5 years.

I'd say we've got a decent chance. The Polar Vortex that controls the weather at our latitude is fragmenting, allowing blocking to occur, and the model output is throwing up regular cold scenarios. Often once you get a change in pattern it takes a couple of attempts to get a proper cold spell.

The latest GFS and ECM both show this latest cold spell (later next week) but neither has it solidly enough for much action down here. the GFS Op run (published version) WOULD give us snow as part of a 5 to 6 day cold spell, but sadly it's a total outlier.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2013-14 season]

"The polar vortex"?

That sounds AMAZING :ohmy:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
November snow memory.

I only once remember it snowing this early - in 1969. Tomorrow's my birthday and I remember waking up with snow all around - my only white birthday. I was bit miffed as I was looking forward to going to the football on my birthday for the first time and the match was called off. I was even more miffed when I discovered the match hadn't been called off after all and there'd been an exciting 2-2 with Torquay - still don't know how that happened.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The weather is exactly as it should be at the end of November, dreary and 9C.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
"The polar vortex"?

That sounds AMAZING :ohmy:

I'm not going to read PL's link and just assume this is some kind of mystical portal to another universe, I must be close to the mark.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
According to The Express a few weeks ago we should be nuts deep in white stuff and in the middle of a huge freeze....so far just a couple of mild frosts. Any sign of an apology from The Express on the horizon ? nah, course not. Here I am sat with 5 years supply of porridge oats for nothing.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
According to The Express a few weeks ago we should be nuts deep in white stuff and in the middle of a huge freeze....so far just a couple of mild frosts. Any sign of an apology from The Express on the horizon ? nah, course not. Here I am sat with 5 years supply of porridge oats for nothing.

We should all be under a " blanket of snow " by now, the WHOLE country. It seems that they got it wrong.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I caught sight of the Mails front page headline to day quoting the met office re cold blast lasting until the new year....cant see anything on the mets site suggesting anything of the sort

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here