Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2024-25 Season]

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Oh, and the forecast according to my phone...

5284da94-d5d0-5f11.jpg
5284db9f-d5e0-cb13.jpg

Sent by the power of squirrel poo

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Bah, last night Netweather was saying 90%+ chance of snow today. This morning, nothing at all.

I would not bother with Netweather personally. I've found it to be wildly inaccurate and they base their forecasts on the GFS models which are usually less reliable than the ECM. To be fair 90% chance of snow also means 10% chance of no snow.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Bah, last night Netweather was saying 90%+ chance of snow today. This morning, nothing at all.

I would not bother with Netweather personally. I've found it to be wildly inaccurate and they base their forecasts on the GFS models which are usually less reliable than the ECM. To be fair 90% chance of snow also means 10% chance of no snow.

Netweather was showing 97% snow chance for 18:00 tonight onwards yesterday, that's now been pushed back to 00:00 tonight with 0% now up till then. So fingers crossed for a small amount when I wake up tomorrow.

But then again if Netweather are rubbish, it's probably best to ignore!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Any automated forecast that works directly from GFS (BBC, Netweather, Metcheck) are all prone to wild swings with the 4 times a day model output. Only what there is strong cross model support will these forecasts be worth trusting fully. At the moment, with snow being created by small troughs and other features they won't be able to keep up with the seemingly minor changes which change the likelihood of snow here.

The GFS ensemble is still showing a good chance of some light snow over the next 36 hours - but it will be light, if at all, so don't get too excited.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Whats the longer term looking like PL? Is this likely to be it or does there appear to be more on the horizon...

there was doom and gloom yesterday when all models seemed to point to a quick return to mild westerlies, with the Polar vortex heading back to Greenland across most models. Today's output is much more interesting with the ECM ensemble of 51 runs all showing High pressure to our West or NW, so that would suggest a potential N or NE flow after this week, but who know how long that would last?

This week looks very cold. Has anyone noticed how much colder it got as the cloud cleared away earlier? Here is dropped from 2C to 1.3C in about 1/2 hour. Tonight's going to be very very cold, even down here (until the cloud rolls in off the East coast again).

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Did the 12s show anything exiting?

Sent by the power of squirrel poo

Haven't started yet. GFS starts at 4ish, UKMO starts about 4.20ish and ECM starts about 6ish. We'll know what's happening with the all models about 7pm, that will allow time to see the GFS ensembles.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Haven't started yet. GFS starts at 4ish, UKMO starts about 4.20ish and ECM starts about 6ish. We'll know what's happening with the all models about 7pm, that will allow time to see the GFS ensembles.

Ah, the wonderful cycle of hope and despair.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Interestingly at 144Z (about as far as is even partially reliable) the big 3 all agree :)

12Z GFS http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1441.png

0Z ECM http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1441.gif

12Z UKMO http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rukm1441.gif

And they show high pressure building over Greenland and our local high ridging to join it. This is how a northerly develops, with the Greenland ridge allowing low pressure to drop down through Scandinavia. So, possibly good news.

Thr 12Z ECM will be key to seeing if it's really agreement or just coincidence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here