Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2024-25 Season]

Midfield Minton

Dec 18, 2013
I left for work this morning at 4:40am and there where some massive snow flacks falling mixed with hail in the Lewes road area but only lasted about 5 minutes

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Two meterological websites I've checked show ZERO snow forecast for the Brighton-Lewes-Burgess Hill part of Sussex for the forseeable future, with the coldest daytime max in any day in that entire period +4C.

Papa Lazarou - what's your take on this at the moment, please?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Seems to me that the Beeb only pin their hat on marginal events when the confidence levels from the model outputs converge. Looking forward to seeing how this one pans out. Bring it.

I've had a chance to peruse the latest model output from this morning.

There is certainly a good chance we'll see snow in the next ten days or so. However there is also a possibility that we will get cold rain as there just isn't enough cold air in the right places when the precipitation arrives (Europe isn't particularly cold, so any continental flow won't be the help it usually is).

The latest GFS ensemble for Sussex shows lots of potential.

Screenshot_2015-01-15-07-17-49.png

With low temperatures forecast and reasonable snow chances. The period 21-22nd has the highest cumulative likelihood with 35-45%. However until we get closer these are really only a guide.

Closer view of snow percentages

Screenshot_2015-01-15-07-17-26.png

I've flicked through the ensemble members and most give a favourable setup at some point, but they don't all agree on the specific timing, so as long as the cold spell remains we should see these forecast percentages increase as closer agreement is reached.

More output is needed ;-)

Last Summer

well f*ck a duck!
Jun 12, 2008
The Hill
A tad chilly in Burgess Hill today according to Netweather!

bh.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here