Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ashes,your reflections.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
To close matched sides,Flintoff aura,Swann gave us an option,middle order still has to answer. I take the win,however with the Aussies watching from the balconey. I live in fear,they will re-group and under Ponting (i don't think that they will dump him) WILL BE WAITING FOR US IN AUSTRAILIA !! :fishing:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Panesar and Anderson batting for a draw in the 1st test ,unlikely but they managed it and knocked the stuffing out of the aussies

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Thinking 'oh shit' they could do this here - when they just needed 220 odd and were 5 down. Then a bundle of wickets coming, and waiting for the final wicket to be taken.

Freddy was picked ONLY because it was his last, and that run out must have been so very sweet indeed.

Stumpy Tim

All this Flintoff nonsense is annoying. He had a poor series apart from one good bowling performance. Strauss is the true hero of this team... the only player who performed consistently throughout the series.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It wasn't quite as gripping as last time. I think that it was partly down to the quality of the cricket, partly down to the fact that it was second-time around and partly due to the fact that most of us couldn't watch it on TV. But it was still a pretty good series, won by England because they pulled the stops out when it mattered.

The best batsmen and the best bowlers in the series were all Australian but I think Ponting was right: when Australia did badly in a session, they did really badly. They lost two tests because of a single bad session in each of them - but they were really bad sessions. Australia were also unlucky with the weather, without rain interruptions, they'd have won the first test for sure and would probably have won the third - although that was a closer call.

England however lost their best batsman for most of the series and their iconic all-rounder for one game and regrouped well. The selectors did well too; resisting pressure to drop Broad, bringing back Bell - who delivered two 50s - and, most of all, picking Trott. Contrast that with the Aussie selectors who didn't pick a spinner for a wicket where the ball was turning on the first afternoon and who came to England with a newbie opening batsman and no replacement.

I think we'll lose the Ashes again in 18 months time - but not 5-0 this time - but I'll savour the moment for now.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It wasn't quite as gripping as last time. I think that it was partly down to the quality of the cricket, partly down to the fact that it was second-time around and partly due to the fact that most of us couldn't watch it on TV..

I agree.

The ashes should be one of the "crown jewels" oF sports and should always be on free to view tv.

I get the feeling people are not as bothered this time as they couldnt watch it

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
A travesty that it's not on terrestial television for the masses to see. Relatively speaking not many people really knew or cared.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake

The best batsmen and the best bowlers in the series were all Australian .

Agree entirely with the Aussies having the best batsmen but over the series I think their bowlers were very poor. Our bowlers weren't much better but they WERE better.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Agree entirely with the Aussies having the best batsmen but over the series I think their bowlers were very poor. Our bowlers weren't much better but they WERE better.

Top three wicket takers in the series : Ben Hilfenhaus has finished as the leading wicket-taker in the series - 22 at an average of 27.45. The only two other bowlers to have claimed 20 wickets in the series are: Peter Siddle (20 at 30.80) and Mitchell Johnson (20 at 32.55).

They all look suspiciously like Aussies to me.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Top three wicket takers in the series : Ben Hilfenhaus has finished as the leading wicket-taker in the series - 22 at an average of 27.45. The only two other bowlers to have claimed 20 wickets in the series are: Peter Siddle (20 at 30.80) and Mitchell Johnson (20 at 32.55).

They all look suspiciously like Aussies to me.

That doesn't mean those three bowled especially well, so much that they had very little competition amongst their team-mates for those wickets. Conversly, Flintoff, Broad, Anderson, Swann, Harmison and Onions ALL took 4 or more wickets in an innings...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That doesn't mean those three bowled especially well, so much that they had very little competition amongst their team-mates for those wickets. Conversly, Flintoff, Broad, Anderson, Swann, Harmison and Onions ALL took 4 or more wickets in an innings...

Which is partly the point. Hilfenhaus and Siddle bowled well throughout the series (Johnson less so) while the England bowlers had one or two good innings and failed to keep it up. Broad, Anderson, Swann played in all the games, Flintoff and Onions played in four of them - all of them took at least four wickets in an innings once (or more) and still none of them could take 20 in the series.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here