Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

* * * The Ashes - Official Thread * * *

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Almost certainly fixtures, but for those who missed it.

Swann's 4th video diary

[video]http://www.ecbtv.co.uk/video/20101202/swannys-ashes-diary-episode-4_2276252_2235153[/video]

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Almost certainly fixtures, but for those who missed it.

Swann's 4th video diary

[video]http://www.ecbtv.co.uk/video/20101202/swannys-ashes-diary-episode-4_2276252_2235153[/video]

not seen that, f***ing funny :lolol:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I say declare now, 300 lead let Swann rip and see what happens!

But I bet Strauss will want to bat until the Afternoon so a 450+ lead is probably what he's after, he's always been very cautious with declarations according to the Sky Sports guys.

Yup, he has always been very conservative - looking like he doesn't want to lose more than wanting to win. I seem to rememeber two occassions in the WI when he carried on batting when we had the potential to go for a win. I would say, weather permitting, he'll bat through the morning, maybe have 4 or 5 overs at them before lunch, but more than likely declare mid-afternoon. I would probably declare now though personally, even if they got 400, we could knock off the 80 or so quite comfortably.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I would expect that Strauss is simply going to see what the weather is up to just before the start of play and will take it form there. I'd go for the declaration now. Australia are looking rattled and there looked to be some rough for Swann to work with.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'd vote for checking the weather in the morning and then deciding which option to take. I'd favour having a quick thrash and putting on another 50-60 then putting them in.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If the weather is favourable I would tell KP and Ian Bell to go for the runs as quick as possible and then declare either with 30 mins to go to lunch or when a wicket falls which ever comes first. At the worst we are going to be left to chase about 100 even if the Aussies really excel.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Paperboy, Sussex fan and tour guide, has written on the Sussex message board that its still raining at 11-00 pm and the forecast for the morning is sunshine till lunchtime, then showers during the afternoon, downpour Tuesday all day.
Dosn't look promising..........Strauss has to declare before start of play and hope we can get into the.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
There's no need for strauss to be conservative with this declaration because we're only in the first innings. 2nd innings declaration always leaves a chance of losing whereas it's impossible for that to happen without batting again. If they go past our total we'll just knock off the runs in the 2nd innings.

I've got a bad feeling the rain is going to stitch us up here :nono:

That said, whatever the result we now have the convicts mentally beaten and that will count for alot for the rest of the series. We just need to kepp turning the screw and pummell their impotent attack at every opportunity. We must be ruthless, and I trust that this England side will be.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Time and rain may come to the Aussies rescue. We'll need to be 300 or so ahead if we want to force a win but need to get there quickly. Wickets in hand, so possible, but rain showers forecast for Day 4 & 5. Australian batting can't be as bad again (can it) so might leave us a day and a half to bowl them out and chase down any total set. Seems unlikely at the moment unless the pitch starts to turn. Very interesting and most enjoyable.

300 ahead - so declare overnight and see what Anderson and Swann can do. Got to go for the win from here, nothing to lose. Worst case they bat for a day and a half and we have to bat it out. Best case - lots of ways to win this. Come on England!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
The first hour tonight should be essential viewing if we bat on. The thought of KP with a double century already stashed and being told to just cut loose and swing the bat could be very, very entertaining.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Afternoons kip - Check
Choccie and crisps from Offy - Check
Ginger Beer - Check
Sky Sports - Disconnected but live feed found - Check
Read Aussie Papers - Check

All I need now is a start on time and not too much more rain, but i fear we may be scuppered by it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I can't bloody wait for the start tonight. Weather permitting, I'd like to see us bat for another hour or 2 in T20 style and rack up as many as we can in that time, then declare about half an hour before lunch.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Does anyone know how the weather is at this moment? I know its still over 3 hours to the start but would hate to get to midnight only to find its pissing down

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
An immediate declaration seems absolutely essential - according to the weather forecast there is certain to be further disruption... which means with six sessions left we are assured of at least a draw. The aussies will be off at the first sign of any bad light so get them in in the morning while the sun is shining.

Strauss simply HAS to declare and go for the win - they are on the ropes and if we have them four or five down by lunch then even the weather wont save them.

DECLARE!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here