Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Ashes Explained, Please

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
i'm not much of a cricket fan but, like most, i've got well into this years' ashes. but i still haven't fully understood the rules. as i understand it, this is the final day and as i type england are 258-7. does this mean, that during the course of the rest of the day, australia have to get three more wickets and a score to beat ours (after 1st innings considered)? this seems a task to difficult to complete. when will the final test then be decided?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Tesco in Disguise said:
i'm not much of a cricket fan but, like most, i've got well into this years' ashes. but i still haven't fully understood the rules. as i understand it, this is the final day and as i type england are 258-7. does this mean, that during the course of the rest of the day, australia have to get three more wickets and a score to beat ours (after 1st innings considered)? this seems a task to difficult to complete. when will the final test then be decided?
There are 40 ish overs max that can be bowled today - during which the Aussies have to bowl us out and top the aggregate score over two innings.

We lead by 6 runs after the first innings, and it is looking likely that by the time we are dismissed (if we ever are) the Aussies won't have the time to get the runs.

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
does that then mean that the game is over when the light runs out and there's no time left? doesn't seem to be a very dramatic end to what has been an incredible sporting event.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
There is a set amount of overs that can be bowled in a day (90 i think) but if any time is lost it can be made up on following days weather and light permitting.

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
so if the light runs out before the overs, australia get a chance to bat tomorrow?

no.

The game will end today regardless.

If England keep batting and don't lose more than 3 more wickets then Australia cannot bat again, the match is drawn and we regain the Ashes

If England lose all ten of their wickets before the close of play then Australia will bat again and to win , will have to score enough runs to surpass England's combined total fromn their first and second innings. If England lost their last three wickets NOW and their second innings closed at 272 than Australia would require a further 279 to win

f they did that then they would retain the Ashes (they already hold them). They would have to score those runs in the remaining amount of overs that would be avialble (calculating how many overs would remain is where it becomes trcky!!)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
brighton rock said:
minus 2 overs for change of innins if england were bouled out

:lol:

boule.jpg

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
why don't we declare now then try to get them all out in the remaining overs?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Tesco in Disguise said:
why don't we declare now then try to get them all out in the remaining overs?

Because there's a risk they might instead get the runs, and we'd therefore lose. (In practice, their chances are miniscule, but why give them a mathematical possibility).

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
We don't NEED to WIN....we can just DRAW to regain the Ashes.

Australia HAVE to win.

D

Drips

What an anti climax.
I feel cricket needs a bloke with a whistle or something so ya know when its over.
I think the way they do it now is a bit confusing:jester:

Dont think I'll ever get the hang of it:nono:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Australia needed snookers to win, but couldn't get them. So in the end we won 2 and 1, with 1 hole left to play.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
We scored 2 home runs to their 1? Wohoooo.

That'll teach them. I want one of them stick-cams. They look neat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here