Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes - England v Australia - 4th Test, Old Trafford, July 19-23, 2023

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He was chatting about how he would go down to the County Ground and at lunch, the kids would jump over the ropes and have a knock about on the outfield. Just what I used to do down at Hove. You'd get frogmarched out for doing that now.
Not at all. There were kids playing on the outfield last week during the lunch intervals for the Derbyshire game. When my kids were little, we used to do the same thing - it was the best part of the day for them

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not at all. There were kids playing on the outfield last week during the lunch intervals for the Derbyshire game. When my kids were little, we used to do the same thing - it was the best part of the day for them
I suppose under the thirty year rule I can now reveal the time me and my little mates went on the outfield during tea and moved Sylvester Clarke's marker a pace to try and get him to bowl a no-ball after the interval.

Had to do our bit.

He took 6-70

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A heady mixture of excitement and "I've got a bad feeling about this".
The same. My fear is that they win their first toss and bat long.

I'm predicting a comfortable Aussie win here in the hope of being absurdly wrong.

How is the NSC cricket posse feeling ?

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Think rain will win unfortunately

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The same. My fear is that they win their first toss and bat long.

I'm predicting a comfortable Aussie win here in the hope of being absurdly wrong.

How is the NSC cricket posse feeling ?
Same here too. Weather looks ok for the first two days and mostly playable on day 3, with Saturday a washout and Sunday not great. The way we play 3 days could be enough either way

Jul 20, 2003
Looking at the weather forecast ... A draw seems likely ... Particularly if Australia bat first.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I think in terms of overs bowled the Headingley test only took 3 days.
If the pitch has some life in it and we show a bit of purpose with the over rate we should be able to get a result.
Without Lyon I don't think Australia are the better team in England.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Question:

What is your favourite Test ground aesthetically. home and abroad ? (you don't have to have been there)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Australia to bat first and guess that will happen whoever wins the toss.
Think we might be batting half an hour after tea.
Day 2 will be good for batting. 2-2 and on to the Oval.
We stopped them playing Murphy, after Headingley, so no danger of spinning us out on the dry spells at the weekend.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Question:

What is your favourite Test ground aesthetically. home and abroad ?
Abroad has to be the Adelaide Oval, absolute pearler and a damn shame the Aussies own it. It deserves better.

Home, pains me to say it but The Oval has a lot going for it.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Not sure about
Australia to bat first and guess that will happen whoever wins the toss.
Think we might be batting half an hour after tea.
Day 2 will be good for batting. 2-2 and on to the Oval.
We stopped them playing Murphy, after Headingley, so no danger of spinning us out on the dry spells at the weekend.
Hmm, not sure about decision to bat. Up here at EOT and weather pretty grim ATM and raining for most of the day so maybe a little juicy for a couple of hours in the morning.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Question:

What is your favourite Test ground aesthetically. home and abroad ? (you don't have to have been there)
In terms of grounds I've been to, Chester-Le-Street (assuming you're looking toward Lumley Castle).
I've got a lovely photo of a rainbow over Bramall Lane that I took on my walk to work one day when I lived in Sheffield. :lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not sure about

Hmm, not sure about decision to bat. Up here at EOT and weather pretty grim ATM and raining for most of the day so maybe a little juicy for a couple of hours in the morning.

Australia will bat first I feel after winning the toss.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Hmmm - from the BBC

1689717482410.png

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I really don't rate the BBC's cricket writing.
Without even thinking about it, in 2005 we were one wicket away from winning at Old Trafford (and had the better of that game all the way through).
It's a good cricket wicket that tends to favour whoever has the better team. Most of the time since the 80s we've either not been the better team or we've not played there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here