Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes - England v Australia - 4th Test, Old Trafford, July 19-23, 2023

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What is the point of Jimmy batting now

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Can't see why we're adding a few runs here. If we need to get 20-30 after the Aussie innings, that won't be a problem - it will take the same amount of time out of the game. What we need is their 10 wickets first - that has to be the priority, surely?
Will take an extra 2 overs, and we may as well use this last wicket. I think we're just trying to minimise the chances of us having to bat twice.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But why do we need to 'avoid' batting a second time? The key factor in this match now is to bowl them out.
Exactly - if we don't have enough time to take 10 wickets, nothing else matters.

Jul 20, 2003
What is the point of Jimmy batting now

In fairness the movement on the betting exchanges suggests this little bit is improving our chances of winning.

personally, I don't get it

EDIT

I certain!y don't get having a drinks break

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I mean, it's great fun to watch, but I still don't get the thinking.

The Aussies must be. bit confused by it all too.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Exactly - if we don't have enough time to take 10 wickets, nothing else matters.
Combo of stuff: It's easier (and risk-free) to score quick runs now against a disheartened bowling attack than it would be against a fresh one in the 4th innings with a new ball. Also, every over bowled makes the pitch a bit more worn, and an additional change of innings takes another 2 overs out of the game.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I mean, it's great fun to watch, but I still don't get the thinking.

The Aussies must be. bit confused by it all too.
I think they'll be quite pleased to be taking time out of the game. He could have run in there and made an attempt to catch it - but didn't bother.

250 lead now.

Jul 20, 2003
Perhaps the conditions are as batsman friendly as they will be and there's some sticky cloud due along in quarter of an hour or so?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here