Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes - England v Australia - 4th Test, Old Trafford, July 19-23, 2023

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just finished watching the faux-live recording. Still wow at the joys of being able to watch an event when why I want (as long as I don't look online).

I'd only want to bat once. With clouds around, moisture in a pitch that has done a few weird things already, England have to make this innings the last for them. So it's 60-4. Need to smash it in a single session tomorrow.

I've sent Ben the memo. Full permission to go total Baz.

Just unbelievable stuff. I have absolutely loved this Ashes, cricket is a sport which has really grown on me. I have always liked it, but this has got me so into it I want to play, sadly I just don’t have the time. IF England win this, big IF because I am still nervous, knowing Aus are the best test team atm…I am off to The Oval next week which I think could be very special, particularly as I am there on the 4th day.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Get as many as we can and hopefully just bat once must be the thinking. 220 ahead at lunch would be ideal.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I still think if Bairstow hadn't got dismissed the way he did in the 2nd test England would have won it.
I'm not so bothered. Broad came to the crease and put on a ton with Stokes. That stand may never have happened. Butterfly effect and all that.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Given the generally dire forecasts, I was pretty surprised how slowly we progressed post-tea. I’m sure it’s all part of a master plan, but Brook was unbelievably sedate…it was almost as if Bazball was consigned to the bin at tea and normal cricket resumed. Hopefully the ground staff at OT have all possible means of keeping the outfield dry over the next few days.
We had just lost two quick wickets and Stokes knows that England can only bat once in this Test. It was just a period of consolidation before a real go again ( weather permitting ) tomorrow. After all that superb foundation, we didn't want to be 6-7 down at the close, through chasing too hard.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Saturday will be a wash out but I think we will get a fair amount of play today and Sunday, conditions will be ripe for bowling as well, get another 100 quickly this morning then declare, we have to be ultra aggressive to force a result.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
That's the impression I got, but not sure why they couldn't have got started late afternoon today?
I can only think the thinking was not to lose anymore wickets before the end of play and to go again hard this morning

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Saturday will be a wash out but I think we will get a fair amount of play today and Sunday, conditions will be ripe for bowling as well, get another 100 quickly this morning then declare, we have to be ultra aggressive to force a result.
70% chance of rain all day Saturday and not much different Sunday, and looks like quite a bit of time likely to be lost today.

IMG_6260.jpg
IMG_6259.jpg

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
70% chance of rain all day Saturday and not much different Sunday, and looks like quite a bit of time likely to be lost today.

View attachment 163854View attachment 163855
It’s worth looking at the weather map.

Today should be mostly ok. Saturday they may as well stay in bed. Sunday is the key - it looks like we might be ok for some play but it depends how wet outfield is and so on. Unless we get 200 head by lunch and bowl them out in 2 sessions today of course. I honestly think the Ashes hinges on the weather for Sunday. Cummins looks knackered, Starc and Lyon injured, they are there for the taking…

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
BBC forecast is a bit rubbish, the Sunday rain will be more scattered showers than a significant band of consistent rain like Saturday.

I reckon there will be plenty of play today.
ANY forecast for Manchester is likely to be rubbish :laugh:

Big session this morning…..get c200 ahead and get ‘em in. Their body language yesterday was so poor - they’re properly rattled.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Awful position for Australia.
With just the Draw available to them, rain delays will be to our advantage.
Sunday will be an extended day, with ideal conditions for our bowlers.

We will want to have a decent total to attack.
Hopefully we can get to + 250 and have 4-5 sessions at them.
I don't think we will need it though.
The ball that dismissed Root when he was well set, gave me a lot of hope.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Need to really make hay today the weekend weather looks shithouse. Saturday will probably see no play at all.

England still in a great place

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
This radar map from the Met Office currently shows 3 small stops today 2 before lunch and one around 5pm.
Tomorrow is kaput.
Sunday looking hopefully especially the evening.
The map works better if you zoom in a little and swipe along the times at the bottom.
I can smell Aussie blood.

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This radar map from the Met Office currently shows 3 small stops today 2 before lunch and one around 5pm.
Tomorrow is kaput.
Monday looking hopefully especially the evening.
The map works better if you zoom in a little and swipe along the times at the bottom.
I can smell Aussie blood.

Monday ? Is there a rest day I didn't know about ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here