Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 2nd Test, Lords, June 28 - July 02, 2023

Ashes- 2nd Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
With Leach out for the series we definitely have to rethink. Mooen is an attacking spinner rather than an end container. And his spin finger’s f***ed.

Maybe just get Robinson to bowl even slower for half his spell, double his overs bowled, halve his average and shut up the likes of Hayden and Clarke who can’t read bowling stats properly
Hayden needs to work out how to stop talking total nonsense before he considers learning how to read bowling stats.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
If it was me selecting an England side for the second test:

- I'd be finding a way to give someone other than Bairstow the gloves. If Bairstow is seen as an essential part of the batting line up, fine, but you need a better 'keeper. Either try Pope, or find a way to bring in Foakes (drop Moeen and rely on Root's spin? Drop an opener and shift the batting line up around?).

- Spin. Don't think a rusty Moeen with a dodgy spinners finger is the answer.

- Pace attack. OK, it's a match on, and they've all got some overs behind them now. But I still think the attack lacks diversity and has an over-abundance of potential fitness issues if Australia bat long. They need to bring in someone who adds a little something different.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Mistake not picking Woakes as said earlier, I'm not really convinced Tongue is good enough. Although if they've purely picked him for the double entendres involving Tongue and Head then I'm here for that.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Amazing that a long standing investigation into racism and discrimination needs to be released the day before an Ashes test on home soil.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Amazing that a long standing investigation into racism and discrimination needs to be released the day before an Ashes test on home soil.

Really?

Should the ECB have sat on the finished report until the Ashes are over at the end of July?

The findings of the investigation are staggering and far more important to English cricket than the result of tomorrow's test

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Really?

Should the ECB have sat on the finished report until the Ashes are over at the end of July?

The findings of the investigation are staggering and far more important to English cricket than the result of tomorrow's test
What do you think are the chances that it was only ready for release exactly today and not say 2 or 3 days or even weeks ago?

Far from waiting until the end of July, I suspect they have had these results and sat on them to release them today.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
What do you think are the chances that it was only ready for release exactly today and not say 2 or 3 days or even weeks ago?

Far from waiting until the end of July, I suspect they have had these results and sat on them to release them today.

Apologies - I think I've misinterpreted your post...

I hope they're not trying to sweep it under the rug, but knowing the ECB it probably is a cynical move.

I'm sure it'll be discussed on Sky and TMS before play starts tomorrow - hopefully that isn't the extent of it

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If it was me selecting an England side for the second test:

- I'd be finding a way to give someone other than Bairstow the gloves. If Bairstow is seen as an essential part of the batting line up, fine, but you need a better 'keeper. Either try Pope, or find a way to bring in Foakes (drop Moeen and rely on Root's spin? Drop an opener and shift the batting line up around?).

- Spin. Don't think a rusty Moeen with a dodgy spinners finger is the answer.

- Pace attack. OK, it's a match on, and they've all got some overs behind them now. But I still think the attack lacks diversity and has an over-abundance of potential fitness issues if Australia bat long. They need to bring in someone who adds a little something different.
The "something different" should be genuine pace - unfortunately we don't produce many real pace bowlers and those we do produce seem to all be very injury prone

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

It may have a haircut tomorrow, but at the moment it's looking like they've prepared it for a snooker match.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am writing this, knowing it will sound horribly complacent, but I’ve played cricket for 45 years, in the Brighton League, in the Lancashire Leagues, University cricket, social cricket in rural Sussex, and now league cricket in Hampshire, and I really don’t recognise the findings of this report at all.

i‘ve not witnessed any form of discrimination against any teammate, or opponent.

No side we face is made up of the 11 privately educated white men, the report and the media reaction to it would have you expect. Every week we face a mix of players of varied backgrounds. The only racially homogeneous sides we ever face are complete teams of Indian or Pakistani players, or the West Indian lads who gave us a shoeing two weeks back. We’ve played against women in some games, and players from age 14 up to late 60s. As for elitism - our side includes a handyman and a consultant surgeon, and all things in between, and nobody is ever on a less than equal footing, save for some organic hierarchy of time served and cricketing merit.

I’ll be at our club on Friday night, as one of the volunteers looking after hordes of junior players, AllStars kids and their parents, etc. The last two weeks have seen in excess of 150 people there. There are people putting massive unpaid effort into making stuff like this happen, at clubs up and down the country every week, and the shade thrown by this report seems terribly unfair on them.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I am writing this, knowing it will sound horribly complacent, but I’ve played cricket for 45 years, in the Brighton League, in the Lancashire Leagues, University cricket, social cricket in rural Sussex, and now league cricket in Hampshire, and I really don’t recognise the findings of this report at all.

i‘ve not witnessed any form of discrimination against any teammate, or opponent.

No side we face is made up of the 11 privately educated white men, the report and the media reaction to it would have you expect. Every week we face a mix of players of varied backgrounds. The only racially homogeneous sides we ever face are complete teams of Indian or Pakistani players, or the West Indian lads who gave us a shoeing two weeks back. We’ve played against women in some games, and players from age 14 up to late 60s. As for elitism - our side includes a handyman and a consultant surgeon, and all things in between, and nobody is ever on a less than equal footing, save for some organic hierarchy of time served and cricketing merit.

I’ll be at our club on Friday night, as one of the volunteers looking after hordes of junior players, AllStars kids and their parents, etc. The last two weeks have seen in excess of 150 people there. There are people putting massive unpaid effort into making stuff like this happen, at clubs up and down the country every week, and the shade thrown by this report seems terribly unfair on them.
The problem for me is that we seem to live in an age of a liberal puritanism. Highly judgmental and only dealing in absolutes.

We saw this at Yorkshire when the staff were condemned as soon as things emerged. Anyone who raises an objection is somehow complicit. I find it a little distressing at times as it seems reason, context and intent have been lost. As if there are no longer two sides to a story. But if you question, again, you are complicit.

We all know each other well enough on these threads to be aware that discrimination and various other isms are what we don't want to see. But as with the Yorkshire affair, something doesn't seem right here. And no-one is allowed to object.

I don't know, I seem to have taken this report personally. But it's a game I'm still in love with.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I voted for an England victory, probably because I feel they NEED it. The Aussies and in particular Smith and labuschagne as others have mentioned, won without even playing to their best…

Lords is a special place and I’d probably rather be there than at the Amex, or Amex, or American Express stadium if I’m honest 😬

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Pitch at lords looking very green, under overcast and windy conditions.

Looks like a nailed on win the toss and bowl, the thing is normally a green wicket helps us but with the pace attack the Aussies have I’m not entirely convinced this time it will.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Pitch at lords looking very green, under overcast and windy conditions.

Looks like a nailed on win the toss and bowl, the thing is normally a green wicket helps us but with the pace attack the Aussies have I’m not entirely convinced this time it will.
Boland is going to love that wicket.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Boland is going to love that wicket.
Think all our bowlers will also love it. But as will Boland, Cummins, Hazlewood, Starc etc and they will be doing it at a far whack faster than our bowlers.

My concern with this type of pitch and the ‘*** ball’ style (sorry I refuse to say that term it’s so annoying) is that we could be in first and get skittled for a very low score at some point, if that happens today it’s basically series over.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Think all our bowlers will also love it. But as will Boland, Cummins, Hazlewood, Starc etc and they will be doing it at a far whack faster than our bowlers.

My concern with this type of pitch and the ‘*** ball’ style (sorry I refuse to say that term it’s so annoying) is that we could be in first and get skittled for a very low score at some point, if that happens today it’s basically series over.
We tried matching them in a 'normal way' many times in recent times, that went well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here