Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Artist - have you/will you go and see it?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Winner of 2 Golden Globes last night including Best Musical or Comedy and Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy.

The Duke of Yorks crowd seem to be lapping it up, however I went to see it at the Odeon, where a couple walked out after about half an hour (obviously struggling - possibly with the fact that there's virtually no dialogue, just a soundtrack, or maybe that it's in black and white).

I loved it - what do the folk of NSC think who've seen it, or are planning to see it. Will anyone be giving it a wide berth?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Went to see it last Friday at the Marina. Thoroughly enjoyed it, as did my other half. Very clever. The leading lady is very easy on the eye too.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I thought it was super tops, but there again I'm a pretentious bellend who shits my pants at black and white foreign films.

If you go and see it at the Duke get there early...we got there ten minutes before the start and couldn't get seats together.

The couple in front of me walked out after about 20 minutes, but they'd been getting a bit steamy during the ads so I reckon they were off for jazz times. The audience applauded at the end. Bit nauseating.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to see it at the marina a week and a bit ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Went to see another film before that and overheard the ushers talking about someone complaining at the lack of sound in their showing of the artist. You could hear the music, but not the dialogue!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Fantastic film, real homage to black and white/ silent film, set a real standard for films already this year, 10 out of 10.

If you like Harold Lloyd you would probbaly like this film.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I got the impression that they pretty much nailed this genre around a hundred years ago. Can't see the point in revisiting it myself, but I suppose it's a welcome change to the 'beginning, explosion, middle, sex, explosion, sex explosion, end' formula that Hollywood are currently using.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I take it it's not a grainy, monochrome version of a live Prince concert (with the sound turned down)?

A shame if it isn't, as I'm daft enough to go & see it if it was.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Yep - definitely planning to see it. In a similar vein but with speaking and even with 'orrible 3D, 'Hugo' is one of the best flicks I've seen in recent years.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I thought it was super tops, but there again I'm a pretentious bellend who shits my pants at black and white foreign films.

If you go and see it at the Duke get there early...we got there ten minutes before the start and couldn't get seats together.

The couple in front of me walked out after about 20 minutes, but they'd been getting a bit steamy during the ads so I reckon they were off for jazz times. The audience applauded at the end. Bit nauseating.

I stood up and cheered at the end.

No, of course I didn't, I'm not a weirdo (despite paying to see a black and white silent movie and enjoying it). However, there was a ripple of applause at my screening too.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Seeing this on Wednesday, hope it is as good as the praise it's been receiving.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Saw it at the Ritzy in Brixton last Friday and really enjoyed it - would have been brilliant with a live orchestra. As for why do it - why not? There are so many pointless remakes and shit 'original' films coming out at the moment, why not make a homage to film heritage, if it's done well?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Oh yes, looking forward to it

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Thought it was very good.

Groundbreaking? No. As so often happens, the overhype bandwagon has got a little out of hand. It isn't the greatest film of the century by any stretch of the imagination, but it is highly enjoyable, and makes a refreshing change from big bangs, CGI robots and vacuous storylines.

Anyone who is put off by the thought of it being in B&W and silent should perhaps stick to Transformers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here