Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

the art of coffee

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Normal Rob said:
spot on - better and cheaper by far than the machines.

Paying £300+ plus for one of those machines is just pretentious. More interested in what they think looks good in the kitchen than the actual coffee.

and it's a classic design too. Not bad for a tenner.

Last edited:

in fact the continentals who know more about coffee that we do, use a twilly thing to stir their coffee.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Normal Rob said:

Paying £300+ plus for one of those machines is just pretentious. More interested in what they think looks good in the kitchen than the actual coffee.

I disagree actually, but I can see where you're coming from. We have both, a bloody expensive machine at home in the kitchen (as per picture above), and a boil on the hob one for in our race camper...To be honest the one in the kitchen is fantastic and worth every penny, the coffee is brilliant....The boil on the hob one in the camper is pretty good, but has a habit of burning the coffee - yuk!

Anyhow - coffee is something I love and its my way of starting a day properly - so spending money within reason was a given....

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Man of Harveys said:
It's not boring at all, sadly - what's the difference between these different grinders? How do they look?
Blade grinders have a horizontally rotating blade that normally operates in a clear plastic dome at the top of the machine.

Professionals criticise them because the blade revolves far too rapidly, chopping and overheating the beans in the process, and eliminating essential coffee oils. Burr grinders use more slowly rotating, interlocking metallic burrs, which crush rather than slice the beans, at cooler temperatures, retaining the coffee oils in the ground product. So they produce a far better flavour.

Only trouble is, they typically cost £60 and upwards.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
This is probably not the right thread to talk about hot chocolate?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Normal Rob said:

My Italian mother-in-law had one of those stove-top Mocha machines. While they're cheap and will always produce strong coffee, the problem is that they work by forcing boiling water through the ground coffee. And that means the coffee, though strong, always tastes slightly burnt.

Great if you're out camping though. And a zillion times better than instant!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I put just enough water in with the coffee to cover it, swill it round a couple of times, then fill the pot up and put the lid on, allow it to stand for a couple of minutes, depress the plunger and enjoy.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Never stir the Coffee. It is much bette to just let it fuse and the plunger does the rest anyhow;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here