Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus has gone too far this time

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oh I'm sure Not Andy Naylor isn't the sort to have tickets on himself anyway. But it was quite funny :)

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
:lolol: to be fair I didn't look at who'd actually started the thread, nor did I read the full opening post.

I'd kind of read the whole "why do they do this" as a basic "why do media write in this way?" and OFF I WENT.

I now realise, reading it back, and in the context of who the OP is, just how moronic that was. :lolol:

Always READ the question. I must remember. Always READ.

It never hurts anyone to be reminded of the basics!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Oh, lots of reporters can't spell, have a limited grasp of the English language and think a comma is some kind of van.
Once upon a time, when there was a relatively thriving newspaper industry, a bunch of people called sub-editors fixed that.
Very few left, sadly. Now the poor hack has to write it, photograph it, video it, design it and probably sell half the ads too for all I know.
*disappears, muttering, into the half-light*

Which highlights my point - 'very few left' reads as if there are still plenty of sub-editors out there!!

I will now take my rightful place in Pedants Corner!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This intro on page two today: "Brighton and Hove was today expecting to discover details of one of the most controversial transport schemes in years."

They put the location at the beginning. Most disappointing.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Today's Argus page 19:

"Team wins a student grant

"A football team has been congratulated after winning a grant to improve its stadium.

"Whitehawk FC, which is based in the east of Brighton, has been awarded £99,882 from the Football Stadia Improvement Fund ...."

You what? 'A football team'? Explaining where Whitehawk FC play in a local paper? In what way is this a 'student' grant? What has the FSI fund got to do with students?

The Argus - a new journalistic low every day.

Today's Argus page 19:

"Team wins a student grant

"A football team has been congratulated after winning a grant to improve its stadium.

"Whitehawk FC, which is based in the east of Brighton, has been awarded £99,882 from the Football Stadia Improvement Fund ...."

You what? 'A football team'? Explaining where Whitehawk FC play in a local paper? In what way is this a 'student' grant? What has the FSI fund got to do with students?

The Argus - a new journalistic low every day.
The least I'd expect from a story like this is the phrase "High flying Hawks ..."

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I wrote to the Argus yesterday highlighting some glaring errors in an online article about the London Bridge rail problems ...

"Your online piece today about the train delays on Tuesday evening is a truly shoddy piece of journalism.

Firstly, the photo accompanying the article shows a rail line with overhead wires. Hopefully you are aware that all rail lines between London and Sussex have third rail electrification? Surely you could have found an appropriate picture?

Secondly, your headline "London to Brighton commuters in nine-hour train delay chaos" is completely erroneous. There were no nine hour delays. The first line of the accompanying piece talks of "nine hours of disruption" which may be correct, but nine hours of disruption is very different from nine hour delays.

Surely a newspaper of your size can do better than this?"

To their credit I received a reply the same day ...

"Apologies for the errors online. Our journalists do their best to update the website as often as possible with breaking news and updates. Stories often change as they progress so what officials tell us one minute may change the next.

We have a stock of pictures which we use online. I will let the web editor know that this picture is incorrect and try and use an appropriate one in the future."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here