Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus 65p from Monday

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Baaaaaaaaastaaards hehehe

One4the.road

Jan 10, 2011
I remember the days of the evening Argus worth waiting for sometimes . Was no north stand chat Internet etc only other way to get Albion info was the seagull line 8049 was the number

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I used to buy it everyday. But since that atrocious piece of 'journalism' regarding some of our players (and I'm not judging that incident), I stopped.
I don't miss it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The pricing strategy leaves open the option to migrate to a daily online edition and produce a physical copy once or twice a week. In Lincolnshire the local dailies under the (Evening) Telegraph banner have seen the Scunthorpe and Lincoln variants go weekly , the Grimsby version could be going the same way.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I'd pay it just for the newsagent boards

YoudonotfuckwithBrightonseagulls.jpg

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
The Argus is a shit paper, made in Southampton.

Give you an example. I had a car accident a few weeks ago. Kid ran out in front of me at a crossing.
Argus got ALL of the facts completely f***ing wrong.

I wouldn't EVER buy the Argus because it's shit!

One4the.road

Jan 10, 2011
Brighton-based daily The Argus has become the second Newsquest-owned title to unveil a sharp increase in cover price to cover the cost of lost advertising.

Yesterday HTFP revealed that the weekly Oxford Times is to go up in price from 85p to £1.30 as part of a relaunch to mark its 150th anniversary.

A similar strategy has now been unveiled by Argus editor Michael Beard in an email to staff which has been seen by HoldtheFrontPage.

It is to increase its Monday-Friday cover price from 45p to 65p from Monday, while its Saturday edition will rise from 60p to 85p.

The change will also be accompanied by a raft of changes including up to 50 pages of extra pagination per week.

They include a new 12-page Monday sports supplement, a dedicated charities page, more business pages and a new feature called In Your Street looking in depth at a local community.

Other changes will see two pages of letters three times a week and a new eight-page Youth in Action supplement to be carried on Wednesdays.

The Saturday paper will see a four-page puzzle pull-out as well as an in-depth interview with a prominent figure in the week’s news.

Like the changes being introduced by the Oxford Times, the relaunch follows a series of focus groups or ‘reader panels’ held during the summer.

In his email, Michael said:* “Much has been written and spoken about the decline of local newspapers in terms of circulation. The thing that struck me and the other staff who attended the panels was the loyalty people felt for the paper and also how important it was to their lives.”

He went on:* “Through the week we expect overall pagination to increase by more than 50 pages. It is obvious that this comes at a cost.

“With some advertising sectors suffering in the recession, if we are to maintain our standards for high quality and comprehensive coverage then we must charge a fair price.”

The Argus saw a 10.2pc decline in circulation in the period January to June 2012 compared to the same period in 2011.

According to last week’s ABC figures its average daily sale now stands at 22,399.

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
Brighton-based daily The Argus has become the second Newsquest-owned title to unveil a sharp increase in cover price to cover the cost of lost advertising.

Yesterday HTFP revealed that the weekly Oxford Times is to go up in price from 85p to £1.30 as part of a relaunch to mark its 150th anniversary.

A similar strategy has now been unveiled by Argus editor Michael Beard in an email to staff which has been seen by HoldtheFrontPage.

It is to increase its Monday-Friday cover price from 45p to 65p from Monday, while its Saturday edition will rise from 60p to 85p.

The change will also be accompanied by a raft of changes including up to 50 pages of extra pagination per week.

They include a new 12-page Monday sports supplement, a dedicated charities page, more business pages and a new feature called In Your Street looking in depth at a local community.

Other changes will see two pages of letters three times a week and a new eight-page Youth in Action supplement to be carried on Wednesdays.

The Saturday paper will see a four-page puzzle pull-out as well as an in-depth interview with a prominent figure in the week’s news.

Like the changes being introduced by the Oxford Times, the relaunch follows a series of focus groups or ‘reader panels’ held during the summer.

In his email, Michael said:* “Much has been written and spoken about the decline of local newspapers in terms of circulation. The thing that struck me and the other staff who attended the panels was the loyalty people felt for the paper and also how important it was to their lives.”

He went on:* “Through the week we expect overall pagination to increase by more than 50 pages. It is obvious that this comes at a cost.

“With some advertising sectors suffering in the recession, if we are to maintain our standards for high quality and comprehensive coverage then we must charge a fair price.”

The Argus saw a 10.2pc decline in circulation in the period January to June 2012 compared to the same period in 2011.

According to last week’s ABC figures its average daily sale now stands at 22,399.

Because it's SHIT!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see the sales at under 10,000 within 12 months.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see the sales at under 10,000 within 12 months.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The Argus is a shit paper, made in Southampton.

Give you an example. I had a car accident a few weeks ago. Kid ran out in front of me at a crossing.
Argus got ALL of the facts completely f***ing wrong.

I wouldn't EVER buy the Argus because it's shit!

It's printed and subbed in Southampton but the journalists still work from Sussex.

As for your specific situation - yes its deeply upsetting and annoying. They would have taken in many cases a news feed from the police or a comment from a member of the public. They should then check the accuracy - although in many cases now they don't.

Did you contact them and ask them to explain? Did they contact you ahead of publishing?

On this last point, I know someone who was contacted just as they were going to a public meeting and were due to speak. They said could they repond later and were told that the journalist would be finished by then so to send it across. After sending, they received a curt response saying 'we dont normally accept written statements but will make an exception on this occasion'. The next day it was published that they initially refused to comment and then sent a written statement.

That, sadly, is how the paper now works. Poor, underpaid, under experienced writers, learning their trade but not in a safe environment

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I read the sports pages in whatever newsagent I'm in, but almost never buy it. If they'd put it behind the counter so you couldn't read it I'd probably buy it on a Monday at least to get the Albion match report, although at 65p....

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Again - it's the principle of the increase that bothers me. I bought my last copy today and won't buy it again at that price for mostly parochial nothing type stories. I like many people I know have now started buying the 'I' which is brilliant value and actually has some news in it (unlike the Argus). Yes I will miss the coverage of the Albion to a degree but in principle I'm not willing to pay for a poor product rising by 40 odd percent in one go. Another lost customer here. Will the last purchaser of an Argus please turn out the lights.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here