Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The anniversary NSC forgot? 18/8/79 -"Brighton's baptism of fire"

Hello everyone, I've had a complete break from NSC over the summer, got disillusioned by a couple of people plus I needed to clear a mountain of domestic tasks that had built up over the preceding months.
Anyway, I started off on the current page, working my way back to page 20
(16th August) then realised I hadn't come across the anniversary thread for the Albion's first ever match in the top flight. So I went over them all again in the opposite direction, but nothing. Spent nearly an hour doing this, so I don't want to hear any criticism for any possible fixturing!
Although aged 21 and sober at the time, I remember virtually nothing about the game apart from the score. I do have a vivid memory though of the North Stand singing "Tell me why; I don't like Arsenal" when the recent Boomtown Rats No.1 hit was played. However, the long defunct Football Handbook comes to the rescue, giving over six pages to the event plus a picture of Nobby on the front cover. This weekly pocket sized mag produced by Boondoggle Ltd ran for just 63 issues, the last one being published on 14 November 1979. Picture Credits are: Colorsport, Ray Green, Alan Johnson, Mark Leech, Popperfoto, Duncan Raban, Sportapics, Sporting Pictures (UK), Syndication International, Bob Thomas and Paul Willatts.

Attachments

• FHCvr.GIF
    FHCvr.GIF
    713.4 KB · Views: 418
  • untitled1.GIF
    untitled1.GIF
    593.1 KB · Views: 400
  • untitled2.GIF
    untitled2.GIF
    580.5 KB · Views: 395
  • untitled3.GIF
    untitled3.GIF
    790 KB · Views: 410
  • untitled4.GIF
    untitled4.GIF
    731.8 KB · Views: 419

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Do you know that's the first time I've read a report on that game? Due to some INCREDIBLY bad planning I was on holiday and it was the first match I missed in about four years; I had to ring home on the Saturday night to find out the score. I'd been expecting us to eke out a 0-0!

Mullery out!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Do you know that's the first time I've read a report on that game? Due to some INCREDIBLY bad planning I was on holiday and it was the first match I missed in about four years; I had to ring home on the Saturday night to find out the score. I'd been expecting us to eke out a 0-0!

Mullery out!

Not as bad planning as a mate of mine who chose to get married on that day. We did make it to the reception and he wasn't too displeased to have missed it (and as he and his missus are still together, the marriage last longer than the Albion's first division adventure).

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The only game whilst in the top flight where the gates where closed before kick-off, and that was a mistake if I am not very much mistaken as there were still spaces to be had.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I was very much aware of the 30th anniversary, just didn't want to mention a 4-0 drubbing on the night of our 7-1 thrashing....

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Great stuff I was 9 at the time and just remember Arsenal giving us a real footballing lesson that day. I think we should demand the old bukta kit back it was simply the best looking kit we've ever had

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Ha Ha, I can see myself in the photo of Frank Stapelton scoring, the one with the number 1668 at the bottom of the page. I had bought a 'standing' season ticket and was in the South Stand just to the left of goal as you face it, I was wearing a black leather bomber jacket with my (very wide!) shirt collar on the outside, very 70's! I remember Bang Bang by BA Robertson being played before the game, The North Stand changing the chorus to "Bang Bang the Arsenal fall" and being totally gutted as each of Arsenals goals went in. Still, what a time to be an Albion fan.

[yt]QWrnt7xv1lA[/yt]

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Great stuff! :bowdown::bowdown:
:thumbsup:

What a great match report! Thanks for bringing it to the attention of NSC.

Is it OK if I put this on Seagulls TV?
Here, I've straightened the pages up...

Any chance you could rescan page 1665? Part of it is missing!

Attachments

• arsenal1.jpg
    arsenal1.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 227
  • arsenal2.jpg
    arsenal2.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 241
  • arsenal3.jpg
    arsenal3.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 226
  • arsenal4.jpg
    arsenal4.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 229

skintmanblues

Feb 7, 2004
Orsham
thats me in the picture

lol just spotted myself in the picture on the east terrace bottom right of the old granny blue white top blond hair i was 15 at the time

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If only the Albion match programme had as much substantial content as Football Handbook....

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough
i was 14 at the time and in the east stand that day,i can remember an arsenal fan who stood about a foot taller than anyone else , and in true 80's stlyle brighton fans gettin their combes out and singing 'no hair, no hair, no, hair' what!?

also after the game my dad wanted to walk back to my nan's house in sackville rd through the arsenal fans......... needless to say i got nutted by some pissed up gooner and remember my dad then 'offering him out' and a big circle forming around us. luckily he was too pissed to do anything and we carried on our way. welcome to division one!!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Day of ulimate dissapointment.

The build up was as tense as any palace match and, as it was not all ticket, there was the fear of not getting in so having to go to the game early. In the end, that, along with the real & common threat of football violence, put many off and the crowd was under 30,000.

We started well and ran the game, but it was all false because as soon as Arsenal wanted to, they just went forward & scored. They were a class above and it was a hard lesson, both on & off the pitch, as we had had our own way for a few years.

Still, lessons were learned. We started with 3 defeats but, aclimatised and within 3 months took a long unbeaten record from the European Champions (or were they just league champs?)

Boom Town Rats are one band who's sound has dated badly but 'I Don't Like Mondays' takes me right back to that Arsenal game.

I was there!!! 8 years old with my Dad and my first proper season ticket as i used to sneak under the turnstyles while my Dad paid!

Liam Brady was my hero at the time (as he seemed to be the only person with the same name as me). We were totally outplayed, but massive crowd.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Which reminds me, today (1 September) is the 30th anniversary of our first ever win in the top flight, 3-1 v Bolton. Where have all the videos of the 1979/80 season home games gone? :(

Great stuff! :bowdown::bowdown:
:thumbsup:

What a great match report! Thanks for bringing it to the attention of NSC.

Is it OK if I put this on Seagulls TV?
Here, I've straightened the pages up...

Any chance you could rescan page 1665? Part of it is missing!

I'll do that at the weekend. But why are you asking me if it's OK to put it on Seagulls TV; I don't own the rights! Speaking of which, I forgot to credit Paul Buckle for that wonderful diagram of Stapleton's goal!
Maybe it would be wise to reproduce those credits on STV; I'll scan the relavant page as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here