Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Amex "atmosphere"

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Has to be the worst season to date. What's happened? The football hasn't been incredible granted but still !!

Used to be fun and noisy. Now all a bit "meh".

For a 12.30 kick off the atmosphere was great but then im in the standing bit in the North - thought everyone made an effort until they scored and then everyone - inc team - went very quiet -

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I genuinely don't understand how people can't connect what's going on on the pitch to the atmosphere in the stands. If we started playing confidently at home and won some games, the crowd would follow suit. Currently, it's a cauldron of nervousness that consistently creeps into despair. That starts on the pitch.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
For a 12.30 kick off the atmosphere was great but then im in the standing bit in the North - thought everyone made an effort until they scored and then everyone - inc team - went very quiet -

Thought it was as good as it's been this season first half with the West Stand in full voice too. Got nervy second half when it started to seem inevitable that with that many chances missed the opposition would score. Even after that, thought the North made vaillant effort to get something going after our collective guts had just been ripped out and placed in a bucket for us to take home.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I’m guessing it’s an acoustic thing as the North Stand yesterday was noisy throughout and we only really heard Palarse after the goal.

Funny thing is didn't TB get an expert in to ensure the acoustics were taken into account in the building of the stadium.

Maybe he also got an expect in to have a blue roof at the Amex which would stay blue.

Do you see a trend creeping in which the appointment of experts ....................

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Funny thing is didn't TB get an expert in to ensure the acoustics were taken into account in the building of the stadium.

Maybe he also got an expect in to have a blue roof at the Amex which would stay blue.

Do you see a trend creeping in which the appointment of experts ....................

IIRC I think the primary concern regarding the acoustics was to ensure that the noise pollution for the NIMBYS was minimised so it didn't give them something else to bleat about. I'm not sure that there was much work done on the internal acoustics within the stadium.

I could well be wrong (it was a long time ago now) but there was certainly a thread on here that dealt with the acoustics issues.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I genuinely don't understand how people can't connect what's going on on the pitch to the atmosphere in the stands. If we started playing confidently at home and won some games, the crowd would follow suit. Currently, it's a cauldron of nervousness that consistently creeps into despair. That starts on the pitch.

This totally...its not rocket science.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought the atmosphere was brilliant at the start of the game then gradually the nerves ramped up and Palace took over once they scored.

Distinct lack of groaning around me until we went a goal down

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shirley the thread starting police are gonna be all over this one.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Always seems half hearted to me, almost a polite atmosphere.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Too many middle clsss fans = shit atmosphere. Fulham, Reading, Bournemouth, Norwich, Brighton. It applies to all of them.

It’s most obvious away games. You see teams like Leeds bring 3000 pissed up blokes aged 16-45 who have probably been sniffing coke and drinking Stella since 7am. Our away fans are families and old people who drove up in their hybrid Prius and eat couscous at half time. Sadly the Prem attracts more of these fans And pushes more working class fans away. It is what it is.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
pissed up blokes aged 16-45 who have probably been sniffing coke and drinking Stella since 7am.

To be fair, we've got a few of those. The only difference is ours are generally in the match day squad.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Nothing wrong with the atmosphere. Palace rarely heard until they scored. We have bigger problems than the atmosphere

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Atmosphere was good, even after they scored the North continues to get behind the team even though we knew there was little chance of scoring.

Some areas of the ground are more middle class than others and they barely get behind the team. We are missing out on a lot of young working class fans, and they are generally the ones who make a proper atmosphere. Obviously the price is a factor, that’s just the ways it is, but there is no specific area to get it going and the club don’t seemed bothered about doing it, which is strange, almost as if they like the middle class lot more...but I’m just paranoid, apparently.

I think the sound in the ground is directed towards the pitch, that’s what Martin Perry said, so it’s probably louder to the players than it is to us.

Feels like a lot of people need to ‘learn how to sing” though. The looks you get for trying to get behind the team in some parts of the ground is unbelievable. It should be the other way round, **** some middle class **** trying to me feel bad because I don’t wanna see my ****ing team lose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here