Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion's best ever goal. FACT

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Anyone was was at Brentford that day would acknowledge it as FACT.

They just would.

Incidentally, the reports say he beat five players. I'm convinced it was closer to 26.

On a parr with Ryan Giggs v Arsenal would you not agree LO..............hang on , miles better 'cos everyone went ape and we were part of it!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
On a parr with Ryan Giggs v Arsenal would you not agree LO..............hang on , miles better 'cos everyone went ape and we were part of it!

I lost my glasses in the ensuing melee. They got knocked off and went flying down the terrace - a terrace with a major surge going on. This was going to cause quite some consternation as it was supposed to be me doing the driving home later, and I can't see a thing without them. I eventually found them about three minutes later, on the terrace about 20 feet from where I was originally standing.

In one piece, without a scratch.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Sorry link doesnt work.... get somethign called Skimlinks instead.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I lost my glasses in the ensuing melee. They got knocked off and went flying down the terrace - a terrace with a major surge going on. This was going to cause quite some consternation as it was supposed to be me doing the driving home later, and I can't see a thing without them. I eventually found them about three minutes later, on the terrace about 20 feet from where I was originally standing.

In one piece, without a scratch.

I was there as well TLO and it is the best ever. If I remember correctly we had the whole of one end and part of the side (which had a roof). I was standing on the side and had a perfect view of his mazy run. The excitement building as he went passed defender after defender, then his left foot thunderbolt which was so quick that when it hit the net time seemed to stand still...it made you take a large intake of breath.....and then absolute bedlam as utter joy poured out from the terraces.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I was there as well TLO and it is the best ever. If I remember correctly we had the whole of one end and part of the side (which had a roof). I was standing on the side and had a perfect view of his mazy run. The excitement building as he went passed defender after defender, then his left foot thunderbolt which was so quick that when it hit the net time seemed to stand still...it made you take a large intake of breath.....and then absolute bedlam as utter joy poured out from the terraces.

That's where I was standing when my glasses went AWOL.

Weird thing is, like you, I can remember each moment and each emotion in that moment - from the picking up the ball, the dribble, the moment he got through all those tackles, the brief moment between that and him hitting the ball, the shot itself and finally the net bursting. Then the carnage as we'd realised what had actually happened.

All in five seconds, and each memory now covered in honey for eternity.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I won't deny the 'fact' it is the best goal you guys have seen, but my 'fact' is that Lawrenson's (who never played for us) is the best and what we need is someone that saw them both really.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
nelson.jpg

Same player different goal

Gary Nelson Vs Arsenal at The Goldstone.

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
I was there with Simster, I think, and it was definitely a hands to the head "OMG did we really just witness that?!".

Up there with this was Bobby's at Withdean where he volleyed it from over his shoulder, thanks to an assist from Chris Wilder playing for the oppo (Halifax, I believe).

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Brentford away to me will only ever mean one thing - that strike by Garry Nelson in the FA Cup for us in 1987. Ask any of the 2,000 Brighton fans that were there that day and they'll wax lyrical about it.

Anyway, I went down the library this week to research that goal and found some great stuff from the Argus. I also interviewed Garry Nelson today about his memories of the goal.

So before you head of to London village tonight, fill your boots with some old Albion clippings and these fantastic memories. Albion gold?

My Favourite Ever Goal

Enjoy!

OMG!! I was only telling my Son about that goal on Saturday. I can't believe that you posted this today. Thanks very much. Reading that, my son knows I wasn't exaggerating what a great goal it was.

Half Man Half Biscuit

Oct 10, 2003
Hove
OMG!! I was only telling my Son about that goal on Saturday. I can't believe that you posted this today. Thanks very much. Reading that, my son knows I wasn't exaggerating what a great goal it was.

Heh heh. That's why I left it to John Vinicombe and Garry Nelson himself. Like other fans on this thread, if it had of been left to me I would have talked it up even more.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
i agree was there that day and THAT goal was something special

thought we had more than 2000 though well seemed that way

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Such a shame there is no TV footage!
Tried years to go to see if there was any footage anywhere - even to the extent of contacting the guy who ran the Brentford supporters club, but no there doesn't seem to be anything. As one of the other posters commented, you'd have thought the goals would have been on the regional news.

For what's it's worth, the best Albion goal I saw was Mark Lawrenson's v Wolves in the FA Cup, January 79, when he ran with the ball from one penalty area to the other skillfully beating every challenge that came his way before calmly shooting home. No footage of that one either sadly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here