Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion radio commentary recently has been excellent

Tomnorthi

Jan 2, 2010
BN15
Do you have a copy of that too? Upload it! :D

Generally don't hear the commentary as I'm there but the commentary at Yeovil was good.

Yesterdays game deserves youtube highlights of all the goals with commentary :p

I could but risk all the copyright crap from the BBC. I could also do all the goals but again copyright is an issue :(

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I agree, I think he's very good.

And with all due respect to Hinsh and Aspinall etc, it is a lot lot better when Jonny Byrne is alongside him.

I concur, John Byrne IS the best ex Albion co-commentator...Aspinal is an arse and Hinshelwood always sounds like a snotty schoolboy.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sorry folks, but I preferred Andrew Hawes.

Sometimes, johnny Cantor's style is like he's sitting chatting to a mate and the football's on in the background. There's been times I haven't realised the game had kicked off and conversely that the ref has blown for half time.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The role of the radio commentator is to verbally explain and describe what he sees in an articulate, interesting and where applicable, passionate manner.

Of course, if you're listening in with a vested interest in one of the teams, you want as full a description as possible - who's where, who's doing what, how well they're doing and so on.

What I found, for instance, in the Yeovil game last Tuesday was someone whose commentary was weaving in and out of describing the action, chatting to his co-commentator, reeling off some statistics, all in a manner of someone reading a menu in a late night takeaway. His describing the action on its own (e.g. Greer, to Dicker, over to Bridcutt etc) does not give an indication of those required aspects of the match. I appreciate that doing this, while trying to identify who's who, takes a hell of a lot of skill and concentration. However, I don't feel Johnny Cantor does this to the fullest possible extent.

For me, he still has a way to go to really paint the picture in words that the listener needs.

Having said that, the description for the Bridcutt goal was excellent.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
What narks me is the lack of decent after-match summaries, phone-in, interviews etc after evening games on BBC Sussex. Other local radio stations, including Radio Solent, have at least an extra half-hour after night games. We pay the same licence fee as the hampshire yokels, for a poorer service.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here