Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Academy.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Baz, what's your logic, why 5-8 years ?

What is holding us back for say the next 3 years and why the optimism in say 6 years, I dont get it !!

Sorry i should have explained my train of thought on this, this is by getting in a 9/10 year old and bringing them through the academy and therefore giving us quality players at youth level and after, a
after the said years i put.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sorry i should have explained my train of thought on this, this is by getting in a 9/10 year old and bringing them through the academy and therefore giving us quality players at youth level and after, a
after the said years i put.

Ahhh ok, as long as the coaches are skilled enough of course, I recall when the kids went through, Chappers, Bromage, Byrne and then on to Wilkins, I cant help thinking our current crop of coaches might not be quite so good, better qualified perhaps but still not as good.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think Garcia may have scored a hat trick in one game (going by his Twitter), but not sure what position he actually plays.

If it's anything like our senior team, he must play Central Defence.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Phat Baznd therefore giving us quality players at youth level and after said:
I wasnt talking specifically about the FA Youth Cup run which saw them reach the quarter final, however that feat should not be underestimated and those players at that point had come through the Centre of Excellence so it was a great achievement.

I can recall Tommy Elphick, Tommy Fraser and Wes Fogden playing, each have had differing careers, but nothing to be sniffed at in my opinion.

If you accept that those coaches ( Dean Wilkins, Russell Bromage, Ian Chapman and John Byrne ) might be better than what we have now then it is bound to effect the young players development and no amount of cat 1 status or shiny new buildings will change it.

I am not actually having a go at the set up and I do not know how the current coaches might compare to those mentioned, but its something worth considering when blindly expecting players to come off this impending mythical conveyer belt of talent.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Are you sure Elphick, Fraser and Fogden all played in that cup run. I thought Elphick was in the first team squad then and possibly Fraser but I could well be wrong.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Seems so:

Albion Youth (4-4-2): Sullivan; Hinshelwood, T. Elphick, Fraser, Cobbs; Fogden, Taylor, Chamberlain, Jarvis; Gatting, Leach. Subs: Skinner for Taylor (withdrawn 87), Gargan, Winterton, Skinner, Martin, Bryant.

Worth noting that Bridcutt, Bertrand, Cork and Sinclair featured for Chelsea.

Oct 25, 2003
Seems so:

Albion Youth (4-4-2): Sullivan; Hinshelwood, T. Elphick, Fraser, Cobbs; Fogden, Taylor, Chamberlain, Jarvis; Gatting, Leach. Subs: Skinner for Taylor (withdrawn 87), Gargan, Winterton, Skinner, Martin, Bryant.

Worth noting that Bridcutt, Bertrand, Cork and Sinclair featured for Chelsea.

Joel lynch Also played a bit in the cup run but was also starting to play for the first team by the time the Chelsea game came around so missed it.

We went out to Newcastle on penalties with Tim Krul making the crucial saves in that game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here