Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 71/72 promotion chase continues....

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Albion's chase for promotion was back on track following the 2-1 defeat of leaders Aston Villa.

March 31st was good Friday and a chance to close the gap on Bournemouth with one of our games in hand, and what an opportunity, at home to bottom of the table Torquay.

Nearly 28,000 turned up, on a sunny day, to see what should have been an easy day but Albion were strangly jaded. Maybe it was the tension, the effort of beating Villa or the heat. Maybe it was because no-hopers Torquay were free to relax and play some football because it was Torquay who stunned the Goldstone crowd when taking the lead before half time.

The packed North Stand were doing their best and there was even a bugler who kept playing the 'charge' just like in the old Westerns and it was a bit like that as Albion laid seige to the south goal.

But the spark was missing and frustration was turning to dispair as we entered the last 10 mins and still losing. Then , with just eight mins to go, a lifeline, penalty!

You could cut the tension with a knife and then the huge wave of relief as Bert Murray levelled the score. The noise and the passion was back but the game was not over yet. Albion scored 2 more, through Kenny Beamish & Bertie Lutton so the record books show a respectable score hiding the tale of a real nail-biter.

Albion had closed the gap on Bournemouth to just 1 point and we had a game in hand. And coming up the next day was the eagerly awaited trip to Bournemouth for a sold-out all ticket encounter.

A little, personal, footnote to the Torquay game. My long suffering mother had to put up with my many moods depending on the Albion scores, and i was pretty stroppy when we lost too! She was not into football but took up following Albion so she'd know what mood i'd be coming home in.

When I got home from the match and started to tell her about it she stunned me by saying "yes i know, I was there" I think that may have been the only time she went but I'm so glad she did and she became quite knowledgable over the years and I miss not being able to chat about Albion's fortunes with her now. It makes me smile to think about her, no doubt with shopping bag on arm, standing on the crowed terraces of the Goldstone!

Last edited:

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
I remember the the players and crowd appealed for that penalty. Their full back had handled a shot from Sully but neither the ref or linesman actually saw it.

The referee then asked the Torquay defender whther he had handled the ball and he admitted it.

Can see that happening now can't you...yeah right!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I remember the the players and crowd appealed for that penalty. Their full back had handled a shot from Sully but neither the ref or linesman actually saw it.

The referee then asked the Torquay defender whther he had handled the ball and he admitted it.

Can see that happening now can't you...yeah right!

I didn't realise that.

Luck was on our side that day.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Question: Did Albion continue to wear those blue shorts with the white piping after the Villa game? Cheers.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Yes they did, and into the next season with a slightly modified shirt (white coller/cuffs)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Great, thanks for the answer. The quest to illustrate all the Albion kits of the 1970s and 1980s goes on... any idea of the away kit for 1971/72? I see it was red and black stripes the following season....

I didn't realise that.

Luck was on our side that day.

Maybe someone could find out who this defender was, and give him a mention on here. If we had not got that goal, we may not have got the momentum to go on and get both points.
I remember this match well, standing in front of a barrier for the penalty in anticipation of the crowd surge in the North Stand. Is this the season when there were a number of winners in the last few minutes at the GG?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Albion played ina an Arsenal style away kit and pretty smart it was too, remember, the blue shirts & white sleeves was the home shirt just a couple of years before. They also wore white shorts and red socks.

It was the season when we scored a whole lot of late goals, both home & away.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I bought a Mullery's Marvels Albion scarf in an Oxfam shop yesterday, with quite bright Red-White-Blue stripes and thought it had a tinge of the colours worn by our South East London Derby opponents :ohmy:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Did it just have mullery's marvels on it? Might have been a palace scarf from 1980s!

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Did it just have mullery's marvels on it? Might have been a palace scarf from 1980s!

It does have a pic of seagulls and B+HA on each end, but with the colours, they might have printed them on afterwards on an unsold P*lace scarf!

:albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here