Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Harry Potter 4

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Now, I have seen all 3 big films over the last few weeks. Have you seen all 3, 2, 1 or none. If you have seen all 3 which was the best ?.

I saw King Kong yesterday and here is the verdict.

Arrived at 2.50 pm, the 3pm was already sold out so prebooked the 4pm. The auditorium was 95% full as we all settled down for the film.

This film is a real popcorn movie. I have heard some people sayb they did not rate it that much and someone wrote it was terrible. What a joke. Now, this is not Shakespeare and I laugh when people go and watch an action film and complain that it was not Hamlet ot MacBeth. For me this film did exactly what it said on the tin.

I was a 3 hour romp of a high order and I enjoyed it very much. I must admit I was getting a bit impatient for the big man to make his appearance after 70 minutes but when he does I was not dissapointed. The first 70 minutes develops the story as it was and the characters and went by quite merrily without anything earth shattereing happening. When the crash into the Island it kicks off. The next hour is a romp on the Island will all manner of beasts and bugs. Particularly impressive was when King Kong saw off 3 T Rex's whilst defending and protecting his new girl. Kong is one hell of a beast. But, heres the rub, it is not really a beast at all but a big softy who likes to sit on a ledge with his girl and look out into the sunset.

Some of the effects were not great , mainly off the dinosaurs with the characters obviously transposed onto the film. Certainly the action in the Jurassic Park films were more realistic. However in a way this added to the charm of the film.

The final 50 minutes was Kong in New York and does he trash the place ?. Times Square took a bit of a beasting, no pun intended and the final battle on the top of the Empire State was superb and very moving.

For me the best and most touching moments were not the big battles but with Kong sitting on the ledge quietly, holding out his hand as his girl was leaving on the boats and a wonderful , moving scene whilst sliding on the frozen lake in Central Park with his girl. The final scene even had an old cynic like me moved and hoping the hanky was not needed.

It was an 8.2 out of 10 for me, Narnia just edged it with an 8.6, as my previous thread said, this is magnificent but Kong was certainly superior to Harry Potter which got a 6.4.

Which is the best ?.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Only seen the trailer but Kong and the dinosaurs look too cartoony for my liking.

Sinbad, now there was a series of films with some great special effects.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Kong himself is very realistic , its the dinosaurs and the action scenes with them that did not quite cut it. It was still a jolly good romp though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
garry nelsons left foot said:
Only seen the trailer but Kong and the dinosaurs look too cartoony for my liking.

Sinbad, now there was a series of films with some great special effects.

As opposed to using real dinosaurs, :lolol:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Its only a small niggle, anyone who goes and sees this film and comes out moaning about it is an old miserable git imho.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
garry nelsons left foot said:
What?

I know that people say that you should never act with kids or animals but surely a director of Peter Jackson's quality could get around any problems.:angry: :jester:

That is a fair point, he should have filmed it in Jurrasic Park. :lolol:
The man knows nothing.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Other things that struck me

My god isn't Naomi Watts simply gorgeous, a wonderful speicment on Womanhood and a pretty good actress as well.

Adrian Brody is a great actor and a good looking man but his nose is almost bigger than King Kong isn't it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Kong does exactly what it says on the tin.

I thought it was a marvellous slab of entertainment - the stampede scene on its own was worth the entrance fee. Weighing in at over 3 hours, I thought maybe 20 minutes of the first hour could've been sacrificed without losing much in the way of plot/character development, as it DOES seem to take a while to get going. But once they're on the island, its a case of strapping yerself in and enjoying the ride. Without wanting to give too much away, I thought the battle scene with the t-rex's was superbly done, with a really original twist as they battled in amongst the vines. The climax on the Empire State Building is spectacularly done as well.

Overall I'd give it 9.2. Got my moneys worth and left feeling thoroughly entertained.

3 hours for a film not really going to attract families with young kids?

Would love to see otherwise.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The film is really a comment on Man's inhumanity to his fellow beasts, just seeing a meal ticket with Kong. As he lay dead on the ground the copper said " He knew nothing he was only a dumb animal " but on closer inspection the only " dumb animals " were the ones that took him off the Island into New York, The girl knew the real Kong and the developement of the bond between Kong and the Girl was very touching and well done. The big guy just wanted to be left alone with his girl looking at the sunset and contempltating the fact he was the last of his breed.

Jul 20, 2003
only seen King Kong (New Years day - to make sure I stayed out of the pub for a few hours)

Thoroughly enjoyable but overlong. A bit of pruning would have helped. I can just about accept a three hour running time for a film like JFK but for a pumped up b-movie I think it indicatesthat the makers are more interested in playing with their toys and showing off rather than croviding the tight thrill ride that ultimately should be the goal for this kind of flick. - I think they could have done without all the creepy crawley stuff in the chasm for a start - just looked like an excuse to showcase the CGI talents and added nothing to the story.

Jul 20, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
..................... contempltating the fact he was the last of his breed.

........... until the direct to dvd sequel

I've read that the box-office takings have been a bit disappointing so we should be spared the absurditity that would be a 4hr b-movie sequel

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Kong does exactly what it says on the tin.

I thought it was a marvellous slab of entertainment - the stampede scene on its own was worth the entrance fee. Weighing in at over 3 hours, I thought maybe 20 minutes of the first hour could've been sacrificed without losing much in the way of plot/character development, as it DOES seem to take a while to get going. But once they're on the island, its a case of strapping yerself in and enjoying the ride. Without wanting to give too much away, I thought the battle scene with the t-rex's was superbly done, with a really original twist as they battled in amongst the vines. The climax on the Empire State Building is spectacularly done as well.

Overall I'd give it 9.2. Got my moneys worth and left feeling thoroughly entertained.

Lovely parody.

:)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
:jester:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
0446696498.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
There was no bible bashing in the film at all.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
USA/Canada Box Office

Narnia $ 225 000 000 - 4 weeks
King Kong $ 174 000 000 - 3 weeks
Potter $ 277 000 000 - 8 weeks

UK

Narnia £ 25 000 000 - 3 weeks
King Kong £ 13 000 000 - 2 weeks
Potter £ 44 000 000 - 8 weeks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports