Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] *** The 26th Man is Ben White ***

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Ah which thread is the one.

So happy for Ben. Richly deserved. Have to admit, even so, I’m slightly surprised Southgate made the call.

Ben looks the absolute nuts at international level already. Oozes class. I think the way we (Albion) play also gives him an edge over other defenders in the squad. He’s just so comfortable on the ball, playing it short, bringing it out.

We will do very well to keep him now. I expect there will be serious enquiries from big clubs over the summer.

Such great news for us as a club and for Tony’s vision as well. Hopefully we’ll have many more Ben Whites in the coming years.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Delighted that Ben White is in the England squad.

Must admit I thought JWP was a cert after his performance yesterday. He coudn't have done any more and would've given us an extra weapon from set-pieces.

But it's clear that Southgate both values White and that there are still question marks over Maguire's fitness and the existing centre-back combination.

Either way, it's a very proud day for White and the Albion. Arguably the biggest since Steve Foster was included in England's 1982 World Cup squad.

Really pleased for White - but you're right, JWP should also be in the squad.

Mings is a liability - dreadful player - White should be in there instead of him - leaving a place for JWP

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Great achievement but I would have gone for Ward-Prowse.
In tight games, deep in extra time, free kick 25-30 out, no one better in the country. Congrats to Ben but its Southgate's natural defensiveness to the fore again.

Now White is in, get JWP in for Mings (who shouldn't be near the pitch in the Euros) or Maguire (who looks unlikely to make it onto the pitch).

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Fantastic news!

After this weeks various performances he must be in with a decent shout of actually starting. Surely Southgate has realised that Mings isn't very good and Coady is out of form.

It's testament to White as a player and a person how he has taken every step up in his stride and never looked flustered. League 2, league one, the championship, premier league and now England, one season after the other.

Well done the club too, showing just what is possible with the right pathway. In the last two years the club has brought through and turned into first team players and full internationals White, Sanchez, Alzate and Connolly. Tony Bloom and the club must be incredibly proud.

What players do we have at the Euros now? White, Sanchez, Trossard, Veltman, Moder. Any others?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Don't understand all the calls for JWP to be included at all.

1: Aside from set pieces, he's not that good;
2: He's a little ****;
3: Yes he might be good at set pieces but what use are they anyway if he's sat on the bench as he won't be starting ahead of Rice, Bellingham, Phillips, Henderson and Mount.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Don't understand all the calls for JWP to be included at all.

1: Aside from set pieces, he's not that good;
2: He's a little ****;
3: Yes he might be good at set pieces but what use are they anyway if he's sat on the bench as he won't be starting ahead of Rice, Bellingham, Phillips, Henderson and Mount.

Unless he's getting Zaha sent off :thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
After Mings performance yesterday, I would imagine that is who White is providing cover for, never mind the injured players.

Thanks to Newport for their support in his development. Clearly learnt a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
After Mings performance yesterday, I would imagine that is who White is providing cover for, never mind the injured players.

Thanks to Newport for their support in his development. Clearly learnt a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite, it was what he learnt at Newport that saw him through the tough transitional year at Leeds.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Well done to Ben White it is thoroughly deserved based on his two appearances so far. I would have found room also for JW P , his accuracy with free kicks can win games and that is a skill we have not had since the days of Beckham.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Well deserved but I can't get my head around Southgates continuing love affair with Mings .

Got nothing against the bloke but if Southgate thinks he's a starter then something isn't right with the blokes ultimate strategy to win a game of football.

If I can find a bet that has goal conceded due to a error by Mings I'll be all over it , it is inevitable.

Try to put away the blue and white specs for a moment who would you pick in your team Mings or Dunk ? No bloody contest .

I honestly think the silly sending off v Wolves swayed Southgates mind to leave Dunky out , and he chose to forget the previous 30 games where Dunk was outstanding .

The Mings inclusion is frankly laughable but I doubt there will be many smiling when the shit hits the fan , and it will if he starts v anyone .

I'm not saying White should start but if I had to choose a CB pairing one is injured the other hasn't even been selected , not ideal really is it .

So Maguire won't be fit for the Croatia game that now a certainty, I would say it would take 3 games to get back up to full match fitness , by that time we could already be on the plane home , we've got previous for picking injured players in major tournaments, seems England haven't learned their lesson , dumping Maguire would seem the obvious thing to do , but , This is England .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here