Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The 2024 US Election - Trump v Harris

Who will win the 2024 Presidential Election?

• President Joe Biden - Democrat

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Donald Trump - Republican

Votes: 114 37.5%
  • Vice President, Kamala Harris - Democrat

Votes: 170 55.9%
  • Other Democratic candidate tbc

Votes: 19 6.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Absolutely incredible performance from Kamala - the prosecutor in her was strong last night and made her case incredibly clearly. She is positive, passionate and hopeful for the future. What a president she will be - it's all over bar the voting and hopefully the electorate will deliver Democratic majorities in the Senate and the House of Representatives as well to make sure she's as impactful as president as possible.
I know that and you know that, but unfortunately it’s the US electorate that decides and they have chosen poorly before …

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The problem is that although many of us always thought Trump was so weird only a lunatic could take him seriously, others were and remain fully signed up to him.

So to the latter it doesn't matter about the debate (which Trump won). That's how it works for them.

Hopefully some swing voters in the US may have been moved appropriately. Hard to predict.
I'd like to agree but I just can't begin to get my head round how anyone who might have watched that debate has only just figured out Trump is a basket case.

I get that the vast majority are already decided and there will be a significant number of the rest that simply won't bother or don't want either.

What I don't get is why anyone can be undecided, particularly when Trump is such a polarising character. What are they waiting for?

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
I know that and you know that, but unfortunately it’s the US electorate that decides and they have chosen poorly before …
Big time, and there are still almost 2 months until election day. Anything can happen before then - but it feels like there's real momentum behind Kamala and the campaign is building such a strong coalition.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Just seen it. And there's still people who will vote for Trump ?

Incredible, just incredible 😲
He could have done a poo on the studio floor and 90% of current Trump voters would still intend on voting for him. All Harris needs from this debate and subsequent campaign is to change the minds of a small proportion of the remaining 10% - it's probably as little as a few thousand voters in key states.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Why does the compare/judge/adjudicator/whatever keep referring to him as 'president Trump'?

Is that a title they keep forever?
Yes they do, once they're President they're referred to as "President X / Mr President" for the rest of time. I believe the same applies to Vice President but I'm less confident of that.

Feb 9, 2012
perth
The problem is that although many of us always thought Trump was so weird only a lunatic could take him seriously, others were and remain fully signed up to him.

So to the latter it doesn't matter about the debate (which Trump won). That's how it works for them.

Hopefully some swing voters in the US may have been moved appropriately. Hard to predict.
Agreed...apparently still "independents" to be won over though what else there is to know is beyond me.. what will decide it and isn't highlighted nearly enough imo is turnout which polling never measures. Democrats by all accounts have the stronger ground game and hopefully days like today help motivate decent people to make the effort

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Trump is being coached by Tulsi Gabbard who ripped Harris apart in the primaries. Gabbard and a muted mike will make it hard for harris to go into lawyer mode and given her rambling word salads on open mike she will be toast imo.

:facepalm::lolol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
U

Clearly Swift is about to eat that cat!!

The MSM do not report such things.
There's nothing wrong with eating a bit of pussy .... nor duck for that matter. I do draw the line at dog though.

Withdean South Stand

Mar 2, 2014
Why does the compare/judge/adjudicator/whatever keep referring to him as 'president Trump'?

Is that a title they keep forever?
It is a sign of respect. People are referred to with the title of the highest honour they've held for the rest of their careers. I don't know if you're familiar with Pete Buttigieg, but during his presidential campaign he was known at Mayor Pete as he'd been Mayor of South Bend. Now he's Transportation Secretary, so he's known as Secretary Pete now as that's a higher post. He'll be a high ranking Secretary under president Harris and likely a future President himself (I also spent some time there trying to remember were the capital P is required in president and where it is a lower case p!).

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It is a sign of respect. People are referred to with the title of the highest honour they've held for the rest of their careers. I don't know if you're familiar with Pete Buttigieg, but during his presidential campaign he was known at Mayor Pete as he'd been Mayor of South Bend. Now he's Transportation Secretary, so he's known as Secretary Pete now as that's a higher post. He'll be a high ranking Secretary under president Harris and likely a future President himself (I also spent some time there trying to remember were the capital P is required in president and where it is a lower case p!).
I shall hensforth be known as (acting) shift assistant supervisor BadFish.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I read an interesting piece about Trump supporters who know his personality but they are unconcerned as their big picture is that the US is failing (for them at least) and he is one person who shares that view.

I was chatting with a friend the other day and he felt as a white, middle-aged, successful man he had a target on his back and was part of the most victimised group in society. It’s all there.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes they do, once they're President they're referred to as "President X / Mr President" for the rest of time. I believe the same applies to Vice President but I'm less confident of that.
Kamala Harris is Vice President.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Space Karen is taking it well

He can impregnate a 60 year old woman? 😮
Or worse, suggesting trafficking.

No doubt, he’s probably very proud of his wit and intellect, so pleased with himself. Not one of his acolytes will have the guts to shame him.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I was talking to my girlfriend this morning about his supporters and trying to work out why he's so beloved.

In a roundabout way I can kind of understand why white Christian males would follow him.

He's promising to make sure they have all the power and the money and that they won't have to feel shame about having all the power and the money. He's plugging into that fear and anger so brilliantly satirised by Bo Burnham in his song Straight White Man:

We used to have all the money and land, And we still do, but it's not as fun now

So I get why that demographic would follow a demagogue like Trump.

But what about everyone else? What about everyone of his supporters who isn't a straight white man? Why? Perhaps his female support is happy with having less control of their own bodies. Perhaps his LGBTQ support is happy with the idea of their entire existence being criminalised.

It's baffling. Absolutely baffling.
I was watching the build up to the debate on the bbc news channel last night. There was a republican strategist on the panel with a couple of Democrat equivalents. She clearly couldn't stand Trump, particularly with regard to his attitude to women, but kept spouting nonsense about Harris (at one point likening her coup over Biden to the 6th Jan uprising!??)

They seem a lot more partisan over there, if you're republican you vote for whoever is on the ticket however distasteful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here