Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The 2024 US Election - Trump v Harris

Who will win the 2024 Presidential Election?

• President Joe Biden - Democrat

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Donald Trump - Republican

Votes: 114 37.5%
  • Vice President, Kamala Harris - Democrat

Votes: 170 55.9%
  • Other Democratic candidate tbc

Votes: 19 6.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
So what are they meant to do? Ignore the crimes that he is alleged to have committed, as suggested after spending months gathering evidence? Just drop all the charges because they think him going to jail will win him more votes? That's MENTA... Oh – It's America, that explains it.

I'm not massively into US politics, but the objective impression I get is that Biden is doing OK. Yes, of course the opposition is going to shout the loudest and say that he is old (as Trumpo will be if he gets in), but the rest of the schtick about him being senile or that he 'can't walk or talk' is just a cheap shot. It's all playground stuff, which – to be fair – Trump excels at.
You missed my point - it’s not me saying Biden is not fit/able to walk talk etc - when I say it’s a ‘winnable point’ it is - for both Democrats and Republican who think Biden is too old - it’s an objectively winnable point based on the percentage of Democrats that would not back Biden if another viable Democrat was a contender. In repeated polls since the midterms only a minority of Democrats think he should have another term and increasingly believing his age is a liability- this is true especially with younger voters and among the rest of the electorate, 71% of independent voters ( who’s support will be crucial in swing States like Florida etc) ‘have doubts about Biden’s mental fitness.’

However, in a Trump v Biden race, the majority of Dems believe Biden is currently the only potential candidate at the moment that could beat Trump and that’s the rub. “The next generation of Democrats need to step up before he can step down’ (Sarah Baxter, newstatesman.com)

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/most-democrats-dont-want-biden-to-seek-a-2nd-term-poll-says

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/...e-biden-age-old-run-president-again-democrats

Trump is not much younger but plays the ‘health card‘ much better and appears to be mentally and physically stronger

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/is-biden-too-old-to-be-president-is-trump/

However way you look at it, no one can deny that from a campaign perspective and election perspective, the reality is (as polls suggest) that a significant proportion of democratic voters think that Biden’s age and mental acuity could be an electoral Achilles heal.

Edit - I should add that the American side of my family have already applied for British citizenship and will almost certainly move to the UK if Trump wins in ‘24 - and I don’t blame them - it would be an unmitigated disaster globally too.

Last edited:

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Trump is not much younger but plays the ‘health card‘ much better and appears to be mentally and physically stronger
That is absolute nonsense. It's clear to anybody paying attention that Biden is fitter and more mentally sound than Trump ever was. You are just buying into right wing talking points.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
That is absolute nonsense. It's clear to anybody paying attention that Biden is fitter and more mentally sound than Trump ever was. You are just buying into right wing talking points.
it’s all the Republicans have got, they’ve become hostage to a personality cult and can’t escape.

The fact is Biden is actually doing a pretty decent job, US economy doing well too

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
215lb?! They must have asked him his weight, not weighed him. I reckon he's taken at least three stone off that.
He self-certified 6ft3inches, 215 lbs. They didn't weigh him or measure his height. He's shorter than Obama, who's 6ft 1.5inches, and he's most definitely near 300lbs, if not over.
Stormy Daniels agrees

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
The whataboutism is strong with this one.

I feel pretty save in guessing that no NSC members are justices of the Supreme Court of the United States of America.

Nor do most of us have billionaire "friends" giving us gifts to make rulings that affect an entire country.

Uh huh, and we all know that since lasvegan cited a conservative media story that said Justice Clarence Thomas did NOTHIN' wrong you know there is nothing to see about improprieties at the US Supreme Court. NOTHIN' at all. Yeah, right!

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
There are also a sizeable number of preppers and survivalist nut jobs in the states who are getting hard at the idea of civil unrest.

Redneck militias with swastika tattoos chanting about totalitarianism.

The revolting irony.
Redneck militias chanting about totalitarianism. Go on, I dare you - get one of them to try and spell it! :lolol:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
71% of independent voters ( who’s support will be crucial in swing States like Florida etc) ‘have doubts about Biden’s mental fitness.’
With the proper media exploitation, this can be driven higher still.
Independent voters are rarely 'independent' so much as fogbound.
People who hate politics, but vote out of a sense of civic duty.
People who's personal brand is to be 'above all that'.

They believe whatever the last person they talked to believed.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Did anybody in America actually inject themselves with disinfectant after the Covid press conference ?

Accidental Poisonings Increased After President Trump's Disinfectant Comments
President Trump gives a press briefing on COVID-19, at the White House on April 23, 2020. That was the day he erroneously suggested that an “injection inside” the human body of a disinfectant like bleach could fight the virus that causes the disease. (Mandel Ngan—AFP/Getty Images)
President Trump gives a press briefing on COVID-19, at the White House on April 23, 2020. That was the day he erroneously suggested that an “injection inside” the human body of a disinfectant like bleach could fight the virus that causes the disease.

Mandel Ngan—AFP/Getty Images
BY JEFFREY KLUGER
MAY 12, 2020 8:00 AM EDT
President Trump’s April 23 musing that injections of disinfectant could help defeat the coronavirus did not do much for his reputation as a reliable arbiter of public health. What’s harder to determine is how many people—if any—took his advice and in some way ingested the toxic chemicals. The most recent bulletin from the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC), which aggregates data from its state counterparts, does offer some clues, however.

Even before Trump’s comments, accidental poisonings from bleach and other disinfectants were on the rise from Jan. 1 to March 31 of this year, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, with people sanitizing surfaces, groceries, smartphones and more as a defense against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Most of the poisonings were the result of inhalation of fumes, but there were ingestion cases as well, typically among children who got their hands on chemicals left out in the open.
What’s key is what happened in the weeks that followed Trump’s controversial and widely debunked comments—and there does appear to have been a rise in accidental poisonings thereafter.

In January, February and March of 2020, accidental poisonings with household disinfectants were up 5%, 17% and 93% respectively over the same months in 2019. In April, which includes an eight day period from the 23rd of the month to the 30th, following Trump’s comments, the increase was 121% compared to April of 2019. In the first ten days of May, things settled down some, with poisonings up 69% over the same 10-day period in 2019.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
The only thing that gives me a glimmer of hope about all this is:

a) the GOP/Republican base wasn’t big enough to get Trump elected last time.

and

b) if 70% of the GOP/Republican base are still behind Trump now, that actually suggests that there’s a smaller pool of potential Trump voters than at the last election.

My fear is that for the last election America sensed a visceral need to get Trump out of the White House, Biden has been no more than a (much needed) steadying hand.

If Biden doesn’t amass the same level of support this time around (always harder second time around) then it could still risk letting Trump in. Especially given that Trump’s side is proven to be willing to lie, cheat and steal at every opportunity.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Trump 9/4 for 2024 huh? Imagine if he wins it!
As a Cat A+ Tory hater I didn't think I'd ever say this but if someone said I could have either a US Democrat or a UK Labour win next year I'd take the former.

If Trump wins the US becomes a failed State and we're all in big trouble.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
As a Cat A+ Tory hater I didn't think I'd ever say this but if someone said I could have either a US Democrat or a UK Labour win next year I'd take the former.

If Trump wins the US becomes a failed State and we're all in big trouble.
Plus Putin's in Kyiv within a fortnight

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The only thing that gives me a glimmer of hope about all this is:

a) the GOP/Republican base wasn’t big enough to get Trump elected last time.

and

b) if 70% of the GOP/Republican base are still behind Trump now, that actually suggests that there’s a smaller pool of potential Trump voters than at the last election.

My fear is that for the last election America sensed a visceral need to get Trump out of the White House, Biden has been no more than a (much needed) steadying hand.

If Biden doesn’t amass the same level of support this time around (always harder second time around) then it could still risk letting Trump in. Especially given that Trump’s side is proven to be willing to lie, cheat and steal at every opportunity.
As much as I can't stand Trump, I would have a chuckle if he got elected – especially if he went to jail too.

It'll be a car crash – again – purely because the guy is more interested in being called president, rather than doing the job of a president.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Accidental Poisonings Increased After President Trump's Disinfectant Comments
President Trump gives a press briefing on COVID-19, at the White House on April 23, 2020. That was the day he erroneously suggested that an “injection inside” the human body of a disinfectant like bleach could fight the virus that causes the disease. (Mandel Ngan—AFP/Getty Images)
President Trump gives a press briefing on COVID-19, at the White House on April 23, 2020. That was the day he erroneously suggested that an “injection inside” the human body of a disinfectant like bleach could fight the virus that causes the disease.

Mandel Ngan—AFP/Getty Images
BY JEFFREY KLUGER
MAY 12, 2020 8:00 AM EDT
President Trump’s April 23 musing that injections of disinfectant could help defeat the coronavirus did not do much for his reputation as a reliable arbiter of public health. What’s harder to determine is how many people—if any—took his advice and in some way ingested the toxic chemicals. The most recent bulletin from the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC), which aggregates data from its state counterparts, does offer some clues, however.

Even before Trump’s comments, accidental poisonings from bleach and other disinfectants were on the rise from Jan. 1 to March 31 of this year, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, with people sanitizing surfaces, groceries, smartphones and more as a defense against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Most of the poisonings were the result of inhalation of fumes, but there were ingestion cases as well, typically among children who got their hands on chemicals left out in the open.
What’s key is what happened in the weeks that followed Trump’s controversial and widely debunked comments—and there does appear to have been a rise in accidental poisonings thereafter.

In January, February and March of 2020, accidental poisonings with household disinfectants were up 5%, 17% and 93% respectively over the same months in 2019. In April, which includes an eight day period from the 23rd of the month to the 30th, following Trump’s comments, the increase was 121% compared to April of 2019. In the first ten days of May, things settled down some, with poisonings up 69% over the same 10-day period in 2019.
I loved watching this press briefing. A highlight of lockdown for me.

All of the bull he spouted about how intelligent he was and he destroys himself in a few minutes.

And the looks on his medical advisers faces when he rambles on digging himself deeper and deeper.

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
As much as I can't stand Trump, I would have a chuckle if he got elected – especially if he went to jail too.

It'll be a car crash – again – purely because the guy is more interested in being called president, rather than doing the job of a president.
The sad fact is America has to work that out for itself.

Nobody can tell America, these are the growing pain equivalents of the British Civil War. They will learn, but it can be a long, painful process causing multiple lifelong scars.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The sad fact is America has to work that out for itself.

Nobody can tell America, these are the growing pain equivalents of the British Civil War. They will learn, but it can be a long, painful process causing multiple lifelong scars.
The obsession with the guy is really weird. He was, let's face it, not exactly great at the job, lasted only one term and left under a mob-shaped cloud. If that was a Democrat, his supporters would be fuming. And yet, to millions (apparently) he can do no wrong and they are only too keen to give him money to help his 'fight'.

Meanwhile, something about a laptop, some emails, a tan suit and WOKE beer. FFS! Twats.

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
The obsession with the guy is really weird. He was, let's face it, not exactly great at the job, lasted only one term and left under a mob-shaped cloud. If that was a Democrat, his supporters would be fuming. And yet, to millions (apparently) he can do no wrong and they are only too keen to give him money to help his 'fight'.

Meanwhile, something about a laptop, some emails, a tan suit and WOKE beer. FFS! Twats.

This is what the American right are superb at. They’ve taken the tricks of a basic conjurer, misdirection and sleight of hand, and they’ve applied them to one of the largest “democracies” on Earth.

The US and the UK are highly flawed democracies that generate a highly polarised electorate with no incentive to work collegiately. However, many seem wedded to the existing system rather than encouraging a system that would force a less abrasive/aggressive approach, with greater emphasis on what’s best for the country issue by issue rather than political grandstanding.

The American right are also willing to tell/perpetuate outright lies, which is a departure for a mainstream political party that the Conservative Party has unfortunately followed.

The future looks bleak unless the world’s right regains some sense of moral compass, or the left and centre organise against them. Tactical voting, not running against each other, we will need every tool in the toolbox to defeat this. It’s organised and incredibly well funded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here