Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The 2024 US Election - Trump v Harris

Who will win the 2024 Presidential Election?

• President Joe Biden - Democrat

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Donald Trump - Republican

Votes: 114 37.5%
  • Vice President, Kamala Harris - Democrat

Votes: 170 55.9%
  • Other Democratic candidate tbc

Votes: 19 6.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Trump makes a hilarious push pack to criticism that it is a sign he is losing his mental faculties when he goes off script:

I do the weave. You know what the weave is? I’ll talk about, like, nine different things that they all come back brilliantly together. And it’s like friends of mine that are like English professors, they say: ‘It’s the most brilliant thing I’ve ever seen …”

“I do the weave” ffs 😂

The Guardian covers this brilliantly

It’s so pathetic.

Apparently he’s incapable of picking up a golf club without having the world’s leading professional golfers declare him “the most amazing player the world has ever seen”.

A routine medical check-up results in Nobel Prize-winning physicians flying in from all corners of the globe just to marvel at the greatest human specimen there’s ever been.

A rambling spew of nonsense has university professors hastily rewriting their life’s work on linguistics to incorporate his incredible mental acuity.

And so on.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Untruthful without doubt.

Putin knows his endorsement loses the candidate votes.

So he endorses the one he doesn't want to win.

Trump is Putin's last throw of the dice in his disastrous war.

If Trump loses the election I expect Putin to fold soon-ish. He'll have to get his propaganda machine to sell it as some kind of "win" to his own people, of course. Something about completing the "de-natizification" or similar.

If Trump wins then Putin gets him to force an abysmal stop-gap deal on Ukraine which is in reality just a pause to re-arm.
Agree with the first bit, and wish you're right about the last throw of the dice, but can't see it. I'm not following the war closely, but Russia continues to push the Ukrainian lines back, they've had a good year on the military front. Their economy has held up much better than was predicted. Why stop now?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
TL;DR

(I think most people on this forum will testify that I don’t resort to personal insults and swearing at people when we have differing POVs and communicate my own POVs intelligently and very effectively and at great length without such behaviour )
Edited for accuracy. (only joking😁)

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Not dangerous at all, you think appeasement is the answer to a genocidal fascists insatiable appetite?

With greatest respect, whats really dangerous imho is "escalation management" people who voice similar opinions like yours and who offer no solutions at all, to a genocidal fascist who is all in and won't stop until he is either stopped or wins and global stability accelerates not recedes.

The price to stop Putin will keep going up and he's not going to stop, nor is Ukraine going to hand over 5m of its citizens, its territory or just airbrush out the atrocities for your comfort.

Putin isn't going to nuke anyone, he's absolutely terrified of death and those around him including wealthy oligarchs are criminals who love luxury, they are not jihadists. Every bluff had been called and we must go all in to see his defeat.

He is far more likely to withdraw, beg for mercy or be deposed than nuke and the price of not defeating him as he supplies Iran with nuclear technology, makes global nuclear risks higher than his defeat.

He is a crazy genocidal fascist who went nuts in lockdown and has invaded another country, you cannot wish it away.
Excellent post.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
The tariff thing under Trump first time round screwed a lot of Americans to. I worked for a company that increased its products 30% overnight (and almost all our competitors) as they passed on the tariff increases.

Overtime we kept manufacturing in China but got round the tariffs by ‘assembling’ in Taiwan - but never really took back the 30% increase that was originally applied
This. Tariffs are paid for by American consumers. And it's regressive. It hits the worst off the hardest. I can bare a 30% increase in the cost of a 6 pack of socks. Not everybody can.

Biden had been far harder on China. The CHIPS act is potentially hugely damaging, longterm to Chinese high-tech manufacturing. Because of the CHIPS act we are building a truly massive (1,000 acre) semiconductor fab right here in Ohio and there is another one being built in, I think, Arizona. This will do more to reduce Chinese imports than tariffs. And it's a major national security issue. China won't be able to cut off our chip supply.

There is simply no point slapping tariffs on Chinese imports of there are few or no US suppliers to fill the gap. And even if there are US suppliers, it's still going to cost consumers more.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
You have to admit it is priceless and very funny Trump though as are 99% of the other posts about Trump’s behaviour on this thread.

Just trying to lighten the mood a bit 🙂

ps I think he was likening his friends to English Professors not that he actually has friends that are.

That kind of confirms what I posted.
No, it doesn't. It directly contradicts what you posted
With regards to "he would encourage Russia to do 'whatever the hell it wanted' , you said "he did not say that" but the video shows him saying those exact words.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That kind of confirms what I posted.

No it doesn't.

The accusation was that Trump said that he would encourage Russia to do 'whatever the hell it wanted' to European countries that did not do what he wanted: spend more on defence,"

You replied

That is not what Trump said

@Zeberdi has proven that you're wrong, and that Trump did say that.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
While new members don't start with loads of respect, they do at least have the benefit of doubt. Tyrone lost the benefit of doubt.

We may be getting another new member here soon.
i seem to remember him posting a lot of sometimes amusing, la la stuff on multivarious topics, not obsessing about one particular reprobate. so he binned off tb to gain some self-perceived gravitas to prostrate himself at the alter of a wrongun that lives on another continent. this internet thingy is not entirely benign, how can these types be saved from themselves?

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
No, it doesn't. It directly contradicts what you posted
With regards to "he would encourage Russia to do 'whatever the hell it wanted' , you said "he did not say that" but the video shows him saying those exact words.
I dont know how to post multiple quotes so anyhow. I said,

"That is not what Trump said, he said when asked what would the US do if European countries don't pay their way he said I hope Russia invades them which is a Trumpian joke/middle finger."

You took that out of context,

" Trump said that a president said if we don't pay and Russia attacks us will you defend us? Trump said, you didn't pay you are delinquent and the other guy says yes. Trump said I wouldn't protect you and would encourage Russia do do what the hell it wanted, you gotta pay."

This is trump responding to a free loading issue not a political NATO issue, I may be wrong but then the issue is why are countries publicly reneging on their agreements to contribute a certain amount to NATO defence?

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
No it doesn't.

The accusation was that Trump said that he would encourage Russia to do 'whatever the hell it wanted' to European countries that did not do what he wanted: spend more on defence,"

You replied

@Zeberdi has proven that you're wrong, and that Trump did say that.
See my reply above.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Has he reached a new low? Trumps's latest rally claim is that - and Im quoting him - little Jimmy is being waved off to school, yet returns home several days later having undergone a horrible transgender operation.

He is literally claiming schools are performing gender reassignment surgery on kids without parental knowledge or consent.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I dont know how to post multiple quotes so anyhow. I said,

"That is not what Trump said, he said when asked what would the US do if European countries don't pay their way he said I hope Russia invades them which is a Trumpian joke/middle finger."

You took that out of context,

" Trump said that a president said if we don't pay and Russia attacks us will you defend us? Trump said, you didn't pay you are delinquent and the other guy says yes. Trump said I wouldn't protect you and would encourage Russia do do what the hell it wanted, you gotta pay."

This is trump responding to a free loading issue not a political NATO issue, I may be wrong but then the issue is why are countries publicly reneging on their agreements to contribute a certain amount to NATO defence?

You claimed that he didn't say something which he actually did say :shrug: It doesn't matter what question lead to him saying it, he said it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Has he reached a new low? Trumps's latest rally claim is that - and Im quoting him - little Jimmy is being waved off to school, yet returns home several days later having undergone a horrible transgender operation.

He is literally claiming schools are performing gender reassignment surgery on kids without parental knowledge or consent.

Yeah we saw that one a few days back. It's all madness.

Mothers murdering (from an actual legal point of view, not some 'abortion is murder' point of view) babies, and schools operating on kids in their special operating theatres behind the canteen, without parents knowledge. It's full on bat shit crazy.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe I should of posted "What he was trying to say" or He didn't mean that? Is that helpful?

Yeah you could definitely argue what you thought he meant.

The main problem you have is that you're trying to defend him, and he's constantly coming out with total nonsense. It's like being a barrister trying to get Jimmy Saville off a child rape charge while Saville watches his rape victims from the dock with his tongue out and hand down his pants.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here