Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The 2024-25 1st-year scholars and U-18s match thread

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
@AZ Gull - another thanks for all your detailed research, and for putting it out on NSC.

Now, can I ask a question for those of us - well me, actually - who don't know (but probably should). Could you tell us the link between first year scholars and the age group? Are they U17s, having turned 16, or are they in the U18 year group (I know they might play in the U18s, or even the U21s if they're exceptionally talented, but what age group are 1st. and 2nd. year scholars actually in?)

'Scuse the ignorance, but would really appreciate your answer.
Any level up to and including U-16 are typically referred to as schoolboys as ... well, they are still in full-time education.

If a club wants to retain a player beyond that they offer them a scholarship, which typically lasts for two seasons (so covers their U-17 and U-18 seasons).
So, a 1st-year scholar is in his U-17 season, a 2nd-year scholar is in his U-18 season. U-17s and U-18s are full-time footballers (for the first time in their nascent careers).

From U-9s to U-16s teams will play their counterparts of the same age group, but U-17s and U-18s collectively play for the "youth team", generally referred to as the U-18s (as in the title of this thread).

Hope that helps.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Any level up to and including U-16 are typically referred to as schoolboys as ... well, they are still in full-time education.

If a club wants to retain a player beyond that they offer them a scholarship, which typically lasts for two seasons (so covers their U-17 and U-18 seasons).
So, a 1st-year scholar is in his U-17 season, a 2nd-year scholar is in his U-18 season. U-17s and U-18s are full-time footballers (for the first time in their nascent careers).

From U-9s to U-16s teams will play their counterparts of the same age group, but U-17s and U-18s collectively play for the "youth team", generally referred to as the U-18s (as in the title of this thread).

Hope that helps.
It certainly does! Many thanks mate. :thumbsup:

Do they have another assessment (aka a clear-out) between 1st. year and 2nd. year, or do they generally go through the full two years?

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It certainly does! Many thanks mate. :thumbsup:

Do they have another assessment (aka a clear-out) between 1st. year and 2nd. year, or do they generally go through the full two years?
Nope, if you've got a scholarship you are contracted for those two years. A team can offer a player a professional contract from his seventeenth birthday onwards; some clubs (such as Chelsea) tend to offer virtually every scholar a pro contract on his seventeenth birthday, other clubs will tend to wait until the end of the scholarship and then offer a pro deal (or release the player, obviously).

Some of these players will already have been offered a pro contract by Albion as part of their deal (I'm pretty certain Harry Howell, Freddie Simmonds and Tyler Silsby have an overall deal that is at least three years in total, ie 1-year scholar plus two years pro or similar).

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Nope, if you've got a scholarship you are contracted for those two years. A team can offer a player a professional contract from his seventeenth birthday onwards; some clubs (such as Chelsea) tend to offer virtually every scholar a pro contract on his seventeenth birthday, other clubs will tend to wait until the end of the scholarship and then offer a pro deal (or release the player, obviously).

Some of these players will already have been offered a pro contract by Albion as part of their deal (I'm pretty certain Harry Howell, Freddie Simmonds and Tyler Silsby have an overall deal that is at least three years in total, ie 1-year scholar plus two years pro or similar).
Thanks again. I'm sure many others will have appreciated the answer too. No more questions, m'lud!

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
A handful of observations after the first couple of friendlies for the U-18s:-

We have seen some game time for all of the new 1st-year scholars except for:-

Darius Lane - we know he is currently training with the US Men's Olympic squad in France
Harry Howell and Freddie Simmonds - I am presuming they are now with the U-21 group (and maybe so from this point forward)

We have also seen all the 2nd-years except for:-

Layth Gulzar - possibly also with the U-21 group, as he supposedly scored against Worthing in their friendly ten days ago
Jacob Vickers - presumably either injured or also with the U-21s
Josh Lewis - no sign of Lewis so far, and I am intrigued that he is also the only 2nd-year who no longer features on the official club website's U-18 squad page. Could just be coincidence, but something to keep an eye on

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Josh Lewis - no sign of Lewis so far, and I am intrigued that he is also the only 2nd-year who no longer features on the official club website's U-18 squad page. Could just be coincidence, but something to keep an eye on
Well, there we have it - has transferred to Ipswich Town:-

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Fantastic 5-2 win for the U-18s at Chelsea today to kick off their U-18 Premier League South campaign.

Five different goalscorers in Joe Belmont, Tyler Silsby, Aidan West, Shane Nti and Ronnie Gorman.

U-18 debuts for Tate Ferdinand and Darius Lane (who both started) and, off the bench, Theo Outen, Isaiah Alakiu, Billy Cullinane and Jesse Middleton.

I'm sure former Albion academy youngster Tayo Subuloye, in the heart of Chelsea's defence, had a fun day meeting up with his former teammates Jesse Middleton and Isaiah Alakiu :thumbsup:

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
Late to the party but thank you @AZ Gull, terrific knowledge and a great read.

Simmonds and Howells seem to be the most talked about, but great that the talented is spread across so many. Would love to see Simmonds step up and ultimately take over from Dunky as and when!

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Fantastic 5-2 win for the U-18s at Chelsea today to kick off their U-18 Premier League South campaign.

Five different goalscorers in Joe Belmont, Tyler Silsby, Aidan West, Shane Nti and Ronnie Gorman.

U-18 debuts for Tate Ferdinand and Darius Lane (who both started) and, off the bench, Theo Outen, Isaiah Alakiu, Billy Cullinane and Jesse Middleton.

I'm sure former Albion academy youngster Tayo Subuloye, in the heart of Chelsea's defence, had a fun day meeting up with his former teammates Jesse Middleton and Isaiah
Tate Ferdinand joining his brother Lorenz at the academy?

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Tate Ferdinand joining his brother Lorenz at the academy?
Well, Tate has been in the academy for a number of years (I believe he left at one point but then returned) so he isn't new but yes, they are both currently on Albion's books.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Albion have been drawn in Group A of the U-18 Premier League Cup alongside Derby County, Manchester City and Norwich City.

Albion host Derby tomorrow in the first group match.
Well, what a crazy game that turned out to be.

Albion lost 6-5 to Derby. Tyler Silsby was sent off for a second caution on 36 minutes.

Nehemiah Oriola scored a hat-trick. Joe Belmont scored for the third match running. Ronnie Gorman netted the other.

Derby also had a man sent off for a second caution (in the 80th minute). Justin Oguntolu scored four for the Rams.

And Kemy Agustien's son Demiane was playing for Derby (and had an assist).

Goalkeeper Finley Taylor made his U-18s debut, as did U-16 left-back Cristiano Anah (who was subbed at half-time). They won't be forgetting their first appearances in a hurry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here