Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 2009/2010 Pre Season Schedule

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Back to yours after!! I fancy the Wimbledon one too if you fancy it boss, it is the day I get back from Ibiza though so could be slightly jaded :drink:

Yeah good idea actually.

Can have a sleep over and everything innit.

May do AFC as well dude.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Depressing isn't the word.

Even leaving aside our own selfish desire to go somewhere half-decent - surely it's better for the team in pre-season to go away for a bit, sort a few things out in training, have a few laughs/drinks, bond as a group, and come back more unified. It might cost a bit more, but there must be a pay-off when the season starts in terms of results, and that's worth something.

Even the Longford disaster wasn't exactly bad for team morale.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Hiney, i was referring to the fact that in previous years we've still managed glamour games like reading, fulham, charlton and ipswich. Our glamour tie this year is a trip to torquay

Surely we should hold fire until we know if there will be a game on August 1st?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am suprised that more clubs do not organise a mini tour ie in our case PLymouth, Torquay and Exter with a week away in Devon for the players to bond or 3 games in Scotland or Wales, Wrexham, Newport and Swansea or Cardiff

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Surely the aim of Pre Season is to prepare the team in the best possible way for the new season. If Slade does not think playing against a team of postmen and carpet fitters is a good preperation then that is good enough for me.

Would you also take the view that we should avoid promotion next season as we might miss out on some nice easy to get to away games?

Looking at four of those fixtures, I would assume they are part-timers and have other jobs?

I think the ideal preparation using your logic would be to play five League 1 teams, but I don't think it is going to happen

Be good to get a big team on August 1st., but time will tell

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I am suprised that more clubs do not organise a mini tour ie in our case PLymouth, Torquay and Exter with a week away in Devon for the players to bond or 3 games in Scotland or Wales, Wrexham, Newport and Swansea or Cardiff

Spot on regarding Wales - lots of English clubs spend a week or so up there - mix a friendly with a league side and a couple against Welsh Prem, which is about Conference/Cnf South standard. Cheap, decent sides, and easy for fans to get to.

:thumbsup:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
where is there ground these days? Seems a bit of a MHISH for a Tuesday night, maybe we can go in the roflcopter?

ROFLcopter or LOLLERblades suits me. Dunno where the ground is but I have got 7 weeks off so could not care less if it is a week night :)

Torquay away is a fantastic fixture, tough L2 opposition who will be well up for it with their recent promotion back to the big time of league football. All only 40 miles down the road to boot.

:clap:

just hope the coach doesn't break down like it did last time

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Albion in decent schedule of good pre-season games designed to get them in good shape for the opening league fixture instead of playing meaningless games against unbelievably weak opposition just to keep people happy shocker

Indeed.

Care for HAVVERS, old chap?

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
I have always thought that Brighton were a little shambolic in their pre-season preparations and never really tested themselves against better class opposition. Hence we always started the season on the back foot (except for last season that is and what a false dawn that proved to be!). Yeovil, on the other hand, have always played tougher pre-season friendlies and started the stronger for it. Admittedly, Yeovil are a preferred choice for many teams 'warming up' with tournaments in the West Country, but I would prefer us to test ourselves pre-season. It is a shame that we aren't playing Worthing as I know many fans enjoy that fixture and its good PR. As a fan desperate to see football we were often drawn to Yeovil's pre-season friendlies and have seen in the past couple of seasons - Pompey, Plymouth, Bristol City, Everton and also Bobby playing for West Ham. If Russell is trying to replicate this then good luck to him - although we still have a long way to go.

wizo7

Man Met Massive
Dec 17, 2008
Bolney
Wimbledon will be a decent away that i shall be attending! looking forward to it also! not been to a pre-season away before and don't really no what to expect?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here