Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thatcher dead?

My point is not to do with the mines closing down, I agree that was inevitable.

HB&B rabbits on about hard working, proud , diligent Englishmen loving her and lords it over the fact that she crushed a community in order to crush the unions!! and the fact that coppers from all over the nation made a fortune. Making money on the back of other peoples misfortune, That is her legacy.

A later poster has stated she is like 'marmite' love her or hate her!! I totally agree with that, and as I have previously stated I will never celebrate in the death of anyone. However, I will equally refuse to accept that she put the 'Great in Britain' she put the 'Greed in Britain' that still exists to this very day!!

Thank you for quoting me!
I would disagree that she put the Greed in Britain. IMO she opened up opportunities for all. We had working classes becoming entrepreneurs, home owners for their first time, free university education & the deregulation of the City - that gave the UK the best part of a 20 year boom.
That some people became greedy was down to human nature. This is a sad reflection in all economies - even in communist regimes!
The best thing about Thatcher whichever side of the political coin you sit.
She made you feel proud to be British.
I cannot think of any PM since, who has made me feel proud to be British since.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
You need to get out more.

Not "only on NSC", but in every industrial community in the country.

Yeah but who really cares about the north?

I jest of course but I do find it funny that people still believe Thatcher is still to blame 21 years and 4 prime ministers after her departure. Especially when the majority of those 21 years were under a Labour government.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Top lady who lead the country as a true leader.

Yes a load of morons will not doubt be pleased when she dies however I suspect the majority will have forgotten how much they benefitted from her policies.

Fair point, losing my job as a milk monitor at the age of eight when she snatched the milk away kind of coloured my opinion of her, one that I never managed to change...leaving school in the mid 80's with the best part of 4m people on the dole...yeah, life was easy, we never had it so good.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Fair point, losing my job as a milk monitor at the age of eight when she snatched the milk away kind of coloured my opinion of her, one that I never managed to change...leaving school in the mid 80's with the best part of 4m people on the dole...yeah, life was easy, we never had it so good.

Left school when there was a recession and got a job wasn't hard.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Left school when there was a recession and got a job wasn't hard.

So did I as it happens, left school on the Friday and started work on the following Monday, but I was just trying to illustrate the point that for many people in the UK life was dreadful. I did have a couple of weeks at the start of the January with no work at all, had to sign-on which I found pretty humiliating, I took Norman Tebbit's advice and got on my bike to look for work...happy to say that I have been in almost continuous employment since then.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So did I as it happens, left school on the Friday and started work on the following Monday, but I was just trying to illustrate the point that for many people in the UK life was dreadful. I did have a couple of weeks at the start of the January with no work at all, had to sign-on which I found pretty humiliating, then took Norman Tebbit's advice and got on my bike to look for work...happy to say that I have been in almost continuous employment since then.

And for a large majority of others life was extremely good when Thatcher was in charge but it would appear years on everything is her fault.

I'll tell you when I will be smug is when Blair dies, he is the one who has f***ed up this country.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I hope that the penny drops and you realise that Thatcher sold everything Britain owned to offer short term tax breaks in order to stay in power. Her "legacy " is to watch our wages and profits siphoned out of the country while our jobs, services and infrastructures wither.

I've always been curious to see what people think she should have done? What would be the state of things now if she'd left things in the hands of successive governments?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Thatcher moved this country to the next level,yes we got shot of old fashion things like mining etc as that was the way forward.People are just bitter because of the many job losses,but lets face it,its a case of 1 step back and two steps forward.

Long live maggy:angel:

Thatcher moved this country to the next level,yes we got shot of old fashion things like mining etc as that was the way forward.People are just bitter because of the many job losses,but lets face it,its a case of 1 step back and two steps forward.

Long live maggy:angel:

That's not why I hate her.

I worked for a government industry (BR) and she fvcked it royally. Bitch x 10

Last edited:

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Personally I really profited under Maggie, but now looking back, especially with roots in the north it is a difficult question.
Firstly I never have, or will want anyone dead. secondly I worked in the city from 1982 to 1988 and they were great years. I was single, wealthy (To a point) and never had it so good.
However, when I used to go back to Liverpool I hid my wealth, left the company beemer at home and changed my attitude. I do know this. During the Maggie/Hatton years Liverpool as a city was left to rot. Much of the bad press the city gets as well as LFC to some extent was born from that period.
From the beginning of the century the city was buoyant, vibrant and as with all large cities coming to terms with the end of the empire and the new challenges. During the Thatcher years it was completely reduced, metaphorically speaking to a dust bowl. Its people tarnished as lazy, dirty, money grabbing thieves, which hard as it may seem to some of you they never were and aren't now.
The poverty and social degradation made me embarrassed to be British and my southern accent didn't always endear me to my northern family!
At the time, living in Sussex, buying my first home, flash car, money to burn I lived the tory dream. Now, as when I visited my Liverpool, I think perhaps that I had it all wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here