That Word "SPASTIC"

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Hungry Joe said:
I stuck this on the other thread but I think it's probably more at home here;

It's difficult to judge context on a messageboard isn't it? NMH defended his posts on NSP by saying they were an experimental wind-up. I don't believe him but that doesn't mean it's not true. The term Spastic was once just a descriptive term for a medical condition but then, like so many other terms, became associated with name-calling out of context abuse. I don't find the term offensive but I can see why other people might. I saw the League of Gentlemen live show recently and they used a bit of the Charity Shop ladies sketch that had the lines "have we got any gold stars dear?"..."no dear, we gave them all to the Spastics" and the whole of the Brighton Centre wet themselves laughing. I guess it was funny to most people because the context is seen as a black comedy swipe at political correctness. I guess Richie being called a Spastic is funny to some people for similar reasons. At least Harris had the decency to apologise and BAG the decency to admit that her taking offense depends on who says it and how.

:thumbsup:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
bhaexpress said:
Yes, not a throw away word is it ? Quite uncalled for.

Always was banned, even before PC became fashionable.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
BarrelofFun said:
I'm not brave. It could be far worse. I could be blind, missing a leg, horrifically burnt, wheelchair bound. Those are the brave ones, when life is massively affected by their condition.

That's exactly how i feel about my fingers

Oct 25, 2003
Re: Re: That Word "SPASTIC"

Oceanic said:
I don't see nothing wrong with the word Spastic. Don't find anything wrong with, fat, Paki, Jew, ******, Coon, White milk shake etc.

FFS, it's only a word, if people find it offensive then get a grip, it's only a word.

I can imagine people on here, you’re in a pub and get called fatty, you'd run of crying shouting 'He called me fatty'

This country has to much politely correctness.

you are actually a fascist cab driver aren't you?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
ben andrews' girlfriend said:
That's exactly how i feel about my fingers

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound patronising (whatever your dada says BAG !) I do have a whole lot of admiration for the pair of you and that was what I was trying to say.

I don't care for the 'S' word being misused and that's one reason why I have no time for NSP.

Oct 25, 2003
the thing is though, as people who actually have the illness aren't called "spastic" anymore, surely the word has no real meaning and therefore can't really be offensive?

1066gull

Damanclay called me a spastic the other day for those of you who care.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Once again, there is a vast difference between disagreeing with someone's point of view and being personally insulting.

Why can't we have arguments on here and disagree with each other without getting personal?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yorkie said:
Why can't we have arguments on here and disagree with each other without getting personal?

Because some people find it very easy to be personally offensive (usually as they are behind a keyboard)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: That Word "SPASTIC"

Race said:
Hey you've got one of those as well! Great arent they?!! Thing is though once they get to eighteen they will be going on eight!! :rolleyes:

:lolol:

How right you are Race, mine are 15, 17, and 18. but might as well be 5, 7, and 8. :lolol:

Only jokin' kids, wouldn't be without them. :)

1066gull

Ain't it funny how Kinky tries to weave his way out of everything.

Remember to clean your Keyboard before you type Kinky.

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here