Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That was f***ing EMBARRASSING

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
This is quite a common thing this season, player gets the ball in his half, runs the length of the pitch , no one tackles him just runs with him ,he gets inside the box ,Bang goal , why do our players at least hold him up ?

We are pushing for a goal,l and over committing players trying to get it and are being undone on the counter attack, what would you prefer, a McGhee era tactic of shutting up shop and hanging on for a 1 - 0 defeat?

At least we are trying, and pushing for a positive result, (as the fans demand)

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Yep, BBC Sport match stats says TWO shots on target, Withdean Wanderer, you should be ashamed!

Ha. Too right!

VIRGO drilled one at the keeper from the edge of the area when the game was lost.
FLEETWOOD fluffed a sitter at 0-0.
Whing SHANKED one 10 yards wide from outside the box.
FORSTER put one wide from outside the box.

Fleetwood's is the only PROPER chance, the other 3 half chances. I think i'm pretty justified in what i'm saying.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Name how many chances Leeds created up until we had to start pushing for the game, thus living the game open for them. Go on.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Ha. Too right!

VIRGO drilled one at the keeper from the edge of the area when the game was lost.
FLEETWOOD fluffed a sitter at 0-0.
Whing SHANKED one 10 yards wide from outside the box.
FORSTER put one wide from outside the box.

Fleetwood's is the only PROPER chance, the other 3 half chances. I think i'm pretty justified in what i'm saying.

we had 51% possession, We had 5 shots, 2 on target, they had 7 shots, 4 on target, and both teams had 7 corners each - hardly sounds like we were overrun and completely out played and outclassed does it?

They only got a second becasue we were caught on the break looking for an equaliser, and at no point during the match we were ander any sustained pressure by Leeds

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
we had 51% possession, We had 5 shots, 2 on target, they had 7 shots, 4 on target, and both teams had 7 corners each - hardly sounds like we were overrun and completely out played and outclassed does it?

They only got a second becasue we were caught on the break looking for an equaliser, and at no point during the match we were ander any sustained pressure by Leeds

Oh we were outclassed, they had much more quality out there.

Reminded of watching an FA Cup match between a lower division team and a higher one. Never really looked like winning.

Catching a team on the break is a standard technique for scoring a goal I would have thought.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that the display by Virgo and Whing was the best display by a pair of full backs for us this season. They wre both a revelation and showed that they are both capable of playing in those particular positions. Our problems were Birchall who tired through lack of match fitness and McLeod who looks just overweight and unfit.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Seens Withdean Wanderer hasnt replied to my post is anyone else going to enlighten those who didnt go to the game how many chances Leeds created before we were forced into chasing the game?

I certainly don't remember them having any better chances than Fleetwood's, other than the penatly which came from a set piece anyway.

By the reaction some people are giving you'd have thought we got slaughtered 5-0 when in actual fact up until Leeds scored it was a fairly even match.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Seens Withdean Wanderer hasnt replied to my post is anyone else going to enlighten those who didnt go to the game how many chances Leeds created before we were forced into chasing the game?

I certainly don't remember them having any better chances than Fleetwood's, other than the penatly which came from a set piece anyway.

By the reaction some people are giving you'd have thought we got slaughtered 5-0 when in actual fact up until Leeds scored it was a fairly even match.

But we lost again to a team (by your own admission) didn't create many chances.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Leeds were indeed pretty poor. Johnson proved why he'd be no good to us, their other winger wasn't that special, the long haired midfielder reminded me of Hammond (pretty anonymous), Delph however looked capable and had clever movement but even he struggled to really open us up - for most of the first half and some of the second Fraser and El-Abd dealt with him.

Their two centrebacks looked anything but reliable; in particular the white lad whose touch/distribution was worse than Elphick's. He in general looked very vulnerable.

As you say, they will struggle unless Grayson does a lot of work.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I agree with that, apart from I think the black centre-back looked good. The left-back on loan from Stoke was shocking. He barely played a pass all afternoon that found one of his own men. In midfield they were predictable apart from the excellent Delph, and upfront Becchio works hard and gets involved but doesn't look like he's got natural talent to me. As you say, Grayson needs to either transform the way they play or sign several new players if they're to be top 6 this season.

Over the course of the whole match I don't actually think we deserved to lose. I'm annoyed at how shit we were/are and there is obviously a lot of moaning going on on here tonight, but Leeds were no better and had we defended properly for Trundle's goal I think it would have been a 0-0.

And notice how quiet the criticism of Elphick is. Turned far too easily by Trundle, if the same thing happend to Hawkins/Virgo/Richards/El-Abd/Lynch people would be going bonkers over it.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Interesting point. Are you SURE it was Elphick? I ask that because at the time I went ballistic at how shoddy that defending was, but I just didn't see who it was. I suspected Hinshelwood, so I'd like to know for definite because that's a big black mark against someone's name in my opinion.

Your first sentence ("and notice how quiet the criticism of Elphick is") is absolutely spot on. I'm not saying Elphick's a bad player, but he's not the defensive lynchpin and galvanising leader that the majority of this board seems to think he is. I look at him as someone with some excellent attributes such as strength, determination, and tackling ability, but also a hell of a lot of weaknesses. He's not particularly quick, he does get caught out of position, and most of all with a ball at his feet he's abysmal. In fact, pretty much anyone we play in defence can't keep the ball for shit and that's a big problem. It does annoy me that Elphick is the blue eyed boy to so many, because in my opinion Virgo is our best centre-back and he should be in Elphick's role (ie starting EVERY match as the main centre-half). Elphick's an ok player and he'll only get better, but for me right now he's not a definite starter.

I was sure at the time, but now you've got me doubting :lolol: We'll have to see

You're pretty much spot on with what you've said there

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Interesting point. Are you SURE it was Elphick? I ask that because at the time I went ballistic at how shoddy that defending was, but I just didn't see who it was. I suspected Hinshelwood, so I'd like to know for definite because that's a big black mark against someone's name in my opinion.

Your first sentence ("and notice how quiet the criticism of Elphick is") is absolutely spot on. I'm not saying Elphick's a bad player, but he's not the defensive lynchpin and galvanising leader that the majority of this board seems to think he is. I look at him as someone with some excellent attributes such as strength, determination, and tackling ability, but also a hell of a lot of weaknesses. He's not particularly quick, he does get caught out of position, and most of all with a ball at his feet he's abysmal. In fact, pretty much anyone we play in defence can't keep the ball for shit and that's a big problem. It does annoy me that Elphick is the blue eyed boy to so many, because in my opinion Virgo is our best centre-back and he should be in Elphick's role (ie starting EVERY match as the main centre-half). Elphick's an ok player and he'll only get better, but for me right now he's not a definite starter.
I take it you read my post earlier as you seem share my view on Elphick.

Hit Hope - North Stand Chat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here