Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That penalty

I've been going to football matches for years and I think I can safely say that, every time I have seen a penalty given, there has always been at least ONE person who has appealed for the decision to be made. And there is usually a reason for the referee pointing to the penalty spot.

But today's decision seemed to baffle EVERYONE in the ground, including the Leeds United players.

Can anyone give me a clue about what happened and why John Sullivan was given the opportunity to save a spot kick?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I believe it was given for a push on one of their players by El Abd, but I could be wrong.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I believe it was given for a push on one of their players by El Abd, but I could be wrong.

Correct and he was booked as well.

I have to say it looked soft to say the least and only the referee seemed to see it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
According to John Byrne's investigations it was given for a tug on the shirt by adam virgo.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I've been going to football matches for years and I think I can safely say that, every time I have seen a penalty given, there has always been at least ONE person who has appealed for the decision to be made. And there is usually a reason for the referee pointing to the penalty spot.

But today's decision seemed to baffle EVERYONE in the ground, including the Leeds United players.

Can anyone give me a clue about what happened and why John Sullivan was given the opportunity to save a spot kick?

Ed, it does not matter as Leeds United scored 2 goals from open play we scored none so we were screwed anyway.

Ed, it does not matter as Leeds United scored 2 goals from open play we scored none so we were screwed anyway.
There's more to the beautiful game than just goals, Gareth.

This afternoon's highlight for me was Adam Hinshelwood's attempt to repeat the own goal he scored against Colchester.

Sublime.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
There's more to the beautiful game than just goals, Gareth.

This afternoon's highlight for me was Adam Hinshelwood's attempt to repeat the own goal he scored against Colchester.

Sublime.

It was a better shot than Fleetwood had when he was one on one that is true.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
When the ref pointed, I thought he was giving a goal kick because I thought it might have gone out of play.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Eh? At least two Leeds players in the box had their hands in the air, and I thought it was safe to say that El Abd had clearly brought down their man.
Not sure how you saw that, i sit in line with the penalty spot, and not a single hand, nor was there any claim from any of the Leeds players. they like ours responded as if he had blown for a free kick to us.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Given that the next day we still have no idea what it was for, it doesn't seem like it was a cast iron penalty does it?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Similar to Coventry away in 2005. The ref gave a penalty for no reason, and the Coventry players argued with him, thinking he gave a freekick to us

I seem to remember the referee gave two dodgy penalties against us on that day. Then when there was a clear handball in the area by an Albion player, he bottled out of giving it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here