Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That must have been one of our worst displays ever

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
goldstone said:
A really crap display, freezing cold, crap old ground .... oh the joy of being an Albion supporter.

We played OKish for the first ten or fifteen minutes, but very little to be positive about after that. We just didn't look up for it. Passing was awful. Defending amateurish.

As for the players:

Turienzo ... how could one player be offside that many times? Has anyone ever explained the offside rule to him ... or don't they have one in Argentina?

McCammon ... tries hard, but last night he just didn't impress.

Hammond ... not playing well at present. Anonymous for much of the game.

Mayo ... very poor game. Cannot figure why McGhee brought him back in to the starting line-up when El Abd played so well on the left on Monday.

McShane ... poorest game for us. Everyone is permitted one off day I guess.

Butters played well, but not as dominating with his head as he has been.

El Abd was OK, but not up to Monday's standards.

Harty OK, but has played better.

Carpenter OK ... is he fully fit? Expect better.

The only positives were Kuipers, Carole and ,when they came on, CKR (why the hell didn't he start after the excellent game he had on Monday?) and Frutos.

Leon ... what can you say ... fans singing "Leon Knight Knight Knight" when he came on expecting (for some reason) something special. What did we get? Nothing. Zilch.

For Saturday:
Kuipers
Reid, McShane, Butters, El Abd
Carole, Carpenter, Hammond, Frutos
CKR, Hart
On the bench: Jarrett (is he fit?), McCammon, Elphick, Robinson, goalie.

I believe we can do over Millwall with that line-up if they give it 100%.

Waited all day for it, somebody blaming knight for last night.:lolol:

joker

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
plymouth when we got ruined 3-1, rod thomas sent off was pretty bad

3-0 defeat at barnet in 96, we just played lack a pack of donkeys

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
It can surely be nowhere near as depressing as the day we lost at home to Rotherham. It turned out to be Barry Lloyd's last game in charge. We lost 2-0 at home to a really poor Rotherham side who had 1 (or even 2) players sent off and then proceeded to stroke the ball around while our players got nowehere near it. It was also cold and the attendance that day would have fitted comfortably inside Withdean.

I'm sorry but annoying as it was to lose last night, sacrificing 3 points at Luton for the longer-term aim of staying in the division doesn't even start to compare

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
losing 2-1 at home to Rochdale in the pissing pissing rain was my worst in recent times

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Spiros said:
It can surely be nowhere near as depressing as the day we lost at home to Rotherham. It turned out to be Barry Lloyd's last game in charge. We lost 2-0 at home to a really poor Rotherham side who had 1 (or even 2) players sent off and then proceeded to stroke the ball around while our players got nowehere near it. It was also cold and the attendance that day would have fitted comfortably inside Withdean.

I'm sorry but annoying as it was to lose last night, sacrificing 3 points at Luton for the longer-term aim of staying in the division doesn't even start to compare

Yup, that was bad, I was bloody livid after that match, I seem to recall that we didn't even get a proper chance on goal. Bad, very bad.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
DJ Leon said:
Obviously so. It's getting easier and easier to spot the youngsters, isn't it?

I wish you were right.

My first Albion game around 1960 so probably seen an awful lot more than you have??

And I didn't say THE worst ... I said "one of the worst" ... which I believe it was.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: That must have been one of our worst displays ever

KinkyHitler said:
Waited all day for it, somebody blaming knight for last night.:lolol:

joker

I was not blaming Leon for the result. If you read my post I think that's clear. However the fact is he did absolutely nothing when he came on to change the direction of the game. Which proves a point really .... what exactly does he have to offer in this division?

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
El Turi said:
The 4-0 defeat against Darlington at the pissfield has got to be the worst I've ever seen.

Was that on fireworks night against Barnet? It wasn't the worst display ever but certainly the worst this season. MM will get it right for the Millwall game what is an 6 pointer.

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Re: Re: Re: That must have been one of our worst displays ever

El Turi said:
The 4-0 defeat against Darlington at the pissfield has got to be the worst I've ever seen.

That stands out for me. Utter shitefest.

goldstone said:
I was not blaming Leon for the result. If you read my post I think that's clear. However the fact is he did absolutely nothing when he came on to change the direction of the game. Which proves a point really .... what exactly does he have to offer in this division?

:jester:

On that basis, could you not question almost all the players?

I trust you noticed the excellent runs he was making, usually followed by a careful chipped ball into touch? There are plenty of players who deserve criticism ahead of Knight ... at least he worked hard, which is more than can be said for some players.

Kuipers

Reid McShane Butters El Abd

Carole Hammond (only because there's no-one else) Carpenter Frutos

Kazim-Richards Turienzo/Knight

Subs: McCammon, Mayo, Hart, FT/LK Chaigneau

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Re: Re: Re: That must have been one of our worst displays ever

goldstone said:

3 -0 down when he came on, what did the other players have to offer?

Mick Beard BHA said:
Not sure i agree with the 'drop Hammond' argument. I know his form has dipped a bit, but i thought he played very well on Monday???

The criticism Hammond is getting now is very wide of the mark I reckon. He has perhaps been built up a bit too much as the finished article by too many on here, and now, not been able to meet those lofty standards, he has to be torn down.

Poor way to treat a terrific young player who has come on in leaps and bounds over the past 12 months.

goldstone said:
I wish you were right.

My first Albion game around 1960 so probably seen an awful lot more than you have??

And I didn't say THE worst ... I said "one of the worst" ... which I believe it was.

We were beaten by a good team, their position in the table does not lie. There is precious little to be gained overreating to that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
London Irish said:
The criticism Hammond is getting now is very wide of the mark I reckon. He has perhaps been built up a bit too much as the finished article by too many on here, and now, not been able to meet those lofty standards, he has to be torn down.

Poor way to treat a terrific young player who has come on in leaps and bounds over the past 12 months.

People/players in the public eye know they are going to have accusations thrown at them it is the good one that can over come this.

Peter Shilton with the ribbing from the North Stand at The Goldstone.

Robert Codnor continually but he still put in good performances.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
One of the worst displys ive witnessed of recent times was at blackpool about 3 seasons ago, away, at easter, think we lost 3...0 ? (maybe 4...0) cant remember, and cant be arsed to look up the result, but it was one of the worst displays of football ive ever witnessed, and also one of the worst away trips ive been on, because it was at easter, me and the wife booked to go up there for 3 days, well all i can say is, what a DUMP blackpool is !! the ratio of guys over females is overwhelming, making all the bars and clubs a potential time bomb, you cant park ANYWHERE !! overall a bad experiance :ohmy:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Billy the Fish said:

Mayo did his best but against a quick winger he looks like he is running backwards sometimes.

One wonders how Mayo will cope with Walcott assuming he plays against Southampton. I'm already having nightmares. Surely McGhee wouldn't be as cruel as that?

:wave:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
hitony said:
One of the worst displys ive witnessed of recent times was at blackpool about 3 seasons ago, away, at easter, think we lost 3...0 ? (maybe 4...0) cant remember, and cant be arsed to look up the result, but it was one of the worst displays of football ive ever witnessed,

That and losing 1-0 away to Halifax back in 99.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
f*** me Portsmouth away in 1988/1989 in the pissing rain losing 3-0 takes some beating.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:

Absolutely he is learning his trade this year. Watch him go next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here