Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] That Crystal Palace banner

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I agree that they are looking beyond oil (though as we have always known and has recently been made even clearer, they have always done their best to make sure the transition is as slow as possible) and this is part of a wider, long term strategy. But I suspect owning Newcastle is more about control, influence and vanity than it is about money. even long term.

Indeed. It doesn't surprise me at all that Saudi Arabia are first on the list of countries seeking to slow the move away from fossil fuels. The presence of Australia on that list disappoints me, but that's a digression. Back to your comment, and I agree with you. Your final sentence rings true. After all, it is what they are accustomed to. Perhaps they also want to be accepted as part of our establishment. Perhaps that is why they never will be.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's about power and control.

Building up a portfolio of assets that are important to ordinary people in the UK. Property, care homes, transport companies,football clubs. It all serves to embed the regime deeper and deeper into our society and culture and makes it harder and harder for our government(s) to take a stand against them when they do things like murdering journalists in our capital city. That's the long term plan. And it is something we should absolutely be concerned about in my view.

To be honest I am very suprised at the attitude of you and others here (equating the regime in Saudi Arabia with Rwanda is just nonsense). I may be wrong but I am pretty sure you've accused others of 'whataboutery' (not a phrase I am a fan of, but seems to be common parlence on NSC) in the past yet you've reacted badly to (correctly) being called out on exactly that.

I've hated the ownership of Chelesa and Man City since they started. I have campaigned on climate change since before it was trendy. I've refused to holiday in Dubai ever since I was witness to exactly how they treat foreign workers. But the Saudi's are a different level again and if you can't see that then either you are not looking very carefully, or you are just trying to look clever in the internet by making a clever point. Pointing out some level of hypocricy in others is not winning an argument. It is the prime 'debating' tactics of Piers Morgan, and that is never a good look. I'm glad that some, at least, have decided that this purchase is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

The wholesale handover of control of our historical football clubs to the highest bidder, almost no matter who they are, by the FA (and the celebrations by all those that profit from the bloated money-laden industry that is modern football) should be a far greater concern to us than a pantomime rivalry with a club with whom we actually have a lot in common. I applaud the fans that put that banner up. It's childishly pathetic in my eyes to decide that we have to be against them because they are 'Palace scum'.

That's some post. it warrants a reply (I won't say 'deserves').

1. "That's the long term plan. And it is something we should absolutely be concerned about in my view." I find your argument compelling. But if you can see this plot I assume HMG can see this plot too. So in the view of Boris and all his chums, what's in this for the UK? Is Boris a secret Islamist? (no). Does he think that foreign investment is good for Britain? (the tory noise on this has always been 'yes'). Do Boris and chums have any scruples over where money is coming from? There is no need to answer that one. So, yes, concerned, but neither labour nor tory have mounted much of a campaign against Saudi Arabia and so why should Boris block the takeover? It's money incoming.

But what about the EPL/FA? Are they not the ones who govern club ownership? On what basis do they consider Newcastle suddenly becoming super rich to be a good thing for them, and the game in general? Or were they leant on by HMG?

2. "To be honest I am very suprised at the attitude of you and others here (equating the regime in Saudi Arabia with Rwanda is just nonsense)." What? I don't know anything about Rwanda and didn't mention it. I deplore the Saudi regime and said so repeatedly. I don't need to compare it with anything. I don't think you are making a good choice bringing my (imaginary) attitude into your narrative.

3. "I am pretty sure you've accused others of 'whataboutery' (not a phrase I am a fan of, but seems to be common parlence on NSC) in the past yet you've reacted badly to (correctly) being called out on exactly that." I haven't reacted badly and I haven't been called out (to my knowledge - I don't read every post but I almost always read replies). I think you may be conflating tow different things - what I said and, er, what someone else said :facepalm:

4. "the Saudi's are a different level again and if you can't see that then either you are not looking very carefully, or you are just trying to look clever in the internet by making a clever point. " Stop now. Read my posts and have a think. And get down off your high horse. Unless you plan to march naked up and down the Blaydon Races then you are simply fulminating to yourself. Digging out someone like me (who detests the Islamist terrorist state, Saudi Arabia, and all its doings) is not the way to gain influence, support and action.

5. " It is the prime 'debating' tactics of Piers Morgan, and that is never a good look". Is there any point reading any more of this? I have been accused of many things but being like Piers Morgan is not one of them. I think you may look back on this post of yours with some regret once you have removed the logs from your eyes.

6. "It's childishly pathetic in my eyes to decide that we have to be against them because they are 'Palace scum'." I am sorry but I am going to reveal something to you that may come as a shock. It is intellectually weak to pursue an argument based on perceived motive (especially when the accusations are based on careless research). You say I only said what I said because I hate Palace. Not true. I don't hate Palace (and have been criticised for this). I don't like their ultras. And I don't trust the motives of the ultras. I have said all this. The main reasons for my not wetting the bed ovet the takeover are nuanced and in no way constitute approval, and have nothing to do with my views about Palace.

Yes I certainly raise an eyebow that apparently, taking the lead of the Ultras, some plan to mount a campaign to drive the Saudis out of football, when they have not attempted to drive the Emir of Beswick, or Guo Guangchang of Wolverhampton, etc. out of football. Look at the state of Birmingham City. Nobody is mounting a campaign to drive out their Chinese owners (note that fans of the actual club don't count, and Newcastle fans are certainly not trying to drive out their new owners, FFS). China is a rogue nation that kills its own people and is relaxed about genocide and is infiltrating our nation's doings alarmingly. Where are the Ultras when these people also need to be driven out of football? ???

Fans of Palace won't ever start a campaign to drive out the owners of Birmingham, because these owners are not bringing riches and hope to Birmingham and won't jeopardise Palace's place in the EPL.

I applaud your intensity, moral code and rightousness, albeit I am less impressed with your grasp of facts. The solution to unwanted ownership is to have stronger rules (incidentally, we also need stronger rules over non fooball things like arms sales and oil). We can't spend 50 years sucking on the oil tit of the Saudis and selling them arms, then say "but you can't buy Newcastle, not even with a nominee system that took you 18 months to assemble. No sir. We are rightous Brits and would probably allow you to **** our granny for money, but you can't own our football clubs."

We get the governments and the football club owners we deserve in this country, because we don't like rules and being told what to do and vote accordingly, and the consequence is every other bugger gets to do what they want to do, too, to us. I don't like this because I'm not a liberal, and paradoxically I am in favour of rules far tougher than the jonny-come-lately anti-Saudi owner brigade are calling for. And I don't see the mob bullying the Saudis out. I'll give £50 to REMF if they are not still in charge in a year. Want to take me on?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Oh the irony.

Context is king. HWT said that these regimes are not overthrown by bedsit warriors, and I said that neither do we help them - unlike those in this thread defending the Saudis.

Anyway, speak of irony.. the only difference between being a podcaster and a self-proclaimed bedsit warrior is that one believes he is doing something whereas the other knows he isnt...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The £20bn was put into an investment fund run by Blackstone, a company that Blitzer is an executive of, while still not great, very different. As I mentioned in a previous post, you would be hard pushed not to use or buy any goods and services that don't have links to regimes or countries with poor human rights records.

That doesn't mean you should just roll over and have your tummy tickled

With respect, if my granny had put vast amounts of money into a company owned by the Nazis, using third party mechanisms, then my grandad got on his high horse when a business rival sold his company to The Nazis, I would have told him not to be such a hypocritical *****, and to sort out his own affairs.

We rolled over to have our tummy tickled when we first committed to their oil and sarted selling them arms. It's a bit late now, unless we restructure our national attitude across the board. Both labour and tory have made deals with murders, torturerers, terrorist supporters and the like 'In The National Interest', normally with the nature of the advantage not disclosed.

No, I am increasingly of a mind that if this banner campaign is maintained everywhere Newcastle play away it is simply going to make the fans look peevish and foolish - if it were their club they would have acted just like the Newcastle fans.

This is not a moment like the European Super League movement, where a national visceral response, even from fans whose clubs were deemed to benefit, caused swift change.

If Newcastle fans joined the protests, and boycotted their own club's games, I might start to take this seriously as a grass roots game-changing phenomenon. Till then I remain with one eyebrow raised.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's about power and control.

Building up a portfolio of assets that are important to ordinary people in the UK. Property, care homes, transport companies,football clubs. It all serves to embed the regime deeper and deeper into our society and culture and makes it harder and harder for our government(s) to take a stand against them when they do things like murdering journalists in our capital city. That's the long term plan. And it is something we should absolutely be concerned about in my view.

To be honest I am very suprised at the attitude of you and others here (equating the regime in Saudi Arabia with Rwanda is just nonsense). I may be wrong but I am pretty sure you've accused others of 'whataboutery' (not a phrase I am a fan of, but seems to be common parlence on NSC) in the past yet you've reacted badly to (correctly) being called out on exactly that.

I've hated the ownership of Chelesa and Man City since they started. I have campaigned on climate change since before it was trendy. I've refused to holiday in Dubai ever since I was witness to exactly how they treat foreign workers. But the Saudi's are a different level again and if you can't see that then either you are not looking very carefully, or you are just trying to look clever in the internet by making a clever point. Pointing out some level of hypocricy in others is not winning an argument. It is the prime 'debating' tactics of Piers Morgan, and that is never a good look. I'm glad that some, at least, have decided that this purchase is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

The wholesale handover of control of our historical football clubs to the highest bidder, almost no matter who they are, by the FA (and the celebrations by all those that profit from the bloated money-laden industry that is modern football) should be a far greater concern to us than a pantomime rivalry with a club with whom we actually have a lot in common. I applaud the fans that put that banner up. It's childishly pathetic in my eyes to decide that we have to be against them because they are 'Palace scum'.

That is the Chinese business model and why we should be very concerned if they suddenly decided to annex Taiwan and then who knows, Indonesia, Japan, Australia? They could switch Britain off at the flick of a edict from their leaders! Yes we need their money to build all our infrastructure! It’s not just us…most of Europe is owned by Chinese interests!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Context is king. HWT said that these regimes are not overthrown by bedsit warriors, and I said that neither do we help them - unlike those in this thread defending the Saudis.

Anyway, speak of irony.. the only difference between being a podcaster and a self-proclaimed bedsit warrior is that one believes he is doing something whereas the other knows he isnt...

What exactly do I believe I am doing?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

So you do actually live in a bedsit then.

No wonder you pigeonholed me as upper class. Everyone must seem upper class to you, apart from fellow bedsit dwellers.

By the way, can you tell me who has defended the Saudi regime? I certainly haven't.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

No wonder you pigeonholed me as upper class. Everyone must seem upper class to you, apart from fellow bedsit dwellers.

By the way, can you tell me who has defended the Saudi regime? I certainly haven't.

None of us have.

Some of us have raised an eyebrow at the motives of fans of clubs who are current or future rivals of Newcastle suddenly discovering an interest in human rights. That's all.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
That's some post. it warrants a reply (I won't say 'deserves').

1. "That's the long term plan. And it is something we should absolutely be concerned about in my view." I find your argument compelling. But if you can see this plot I assume HMG can see this plot too. So in the view of Boris and all his chums, what's in this for the UK? Is Boris a secret Islamist? (no). Does he think that foreign investment is good for Britain? (the tory noise on this has always been 'yes'). Do Boris and chums have any scruples over where money is coming from? There is no need to answer that one. So, yes, concerned, but neither labour nor tory have mounted much of a campaign against Saudi Arabia and so why should Boris block the takeover? It's money incoming.

But what about the EPL/FA? Are they not the ones who govern club ownership? On what basis do they consider Newcastle suddenly becoming super rich to be a good thing for them, and the game in general? Or were they leant on by HMG?

2. "To be honest I am very suprised at the attitude of you and others here (equating the regime in Saudi Arabia with Rwanda is just nonsense)." What? I don't know anything about Rwanda and didn't mention it. I deplore the Saudi regime and said so repeatedly. I don't need to compare it with anything. I don't think you are making a good choice bringing my (imaginary) attitude into your narrative.

3. "I am pretty sure you've accused others of 'whataboutery' (not a phrase I am a fan of, but seems to be common parlence on NSC) in the past yet you've reacted badly to (correctly) being called out on exactly that." I haven't reacted badly and I haven't been called out (to my knowledge - I don't read every post but I almost always read replies). I think you may be conflating tow different things - what I said and, er, what someone else said :facepalm:

4. "the Saudi's are a different level again and if you can't see that then either you are not looking very carefully, or you are just trying to look clever in the internet by making a clever point. " Stop now. Read my posts and have a think. And get down off your high horse. Unless you plan to march naked up and down the Blaydon Races then you are simply fulminating to yourself. Digging out someone like me (who detests the Islamist terrorist state, Saudi Arabia, and all its doings) is not the way to gain influence, support and action.

5. " It is the prime 'debating' tactics of Piers Morgan, and that is never a good look". Is there any point reading any more of this? I have been accused of many things but being like Piers Morgan is not one of them. I think you may look back on this post of yours with some regret once you have removed the logs from your eyes.

6. "It's childishly pathetic in my eyes to decide that we have to be against them because they are 'Palace scum'." I am sorry but I am going to reveal something to you that may come as a shock. It is intellectually weak to pursue an argument based on perceived motive (especially when the accusations are based on careless research). You say I only said what I said because I hate Palace. Not true. I don't hate Palace (and have been criticised for this). I don't like their ultras. And I don't trust the motives of the ultras. I have said all this. The main reasons for my not wetting the bed ovet the takeover are nuanced and in no way constitute approval, and have nothing to do with my views about Palace.

Yes I certainly raise an eyebow that apparently, taking the lead of the Ultras, some plan to mount a campaign to drive the Saudis out of football, when they have not attempted to drive the Emir of Beswick, or Guo Guangchang of Wolverhampton, etc. out of football. Look at the state of Birmingham City. Nobody is mounting a campaign to drive out their Chinese owners (note that fans of the actual club don't count, and Newcastle fans are certainly not trying to drive out their new owners, FFS). China is a rogue nation that kills its own people and is relaxed about genocide and is infiltrating our nation's doings alarmingly. Where are the Ultras when these people also need to be driven out of football? ???

Fans of Palace won't ever start a campaign to drive out the owners of Birmingham, because these owners are not bringing riches and hope to Birmingham and won't jeopardise Palace's place in the EPL.

I applaud your intensity, moral code and rightousness, albeit I am less impressed with your grasp of facts. The solution to unwanted ownership is to have stronger rules (incidentally, we also need stronger rules over non fooball things like arms sales and oil). We can't spend 50 years sucking on the oil tit of the Saudis and selling them arms, then say "but you can't buy Newcastle, not even with a nominee system that took you 18 months to assemble. No sir. We are rightous Brits and would probably allow you to **** our granny for money, but you can't own our football clubs."

We get the governments and the football club owners we deserve in this country, because we don't like rules and being told what to do and vote accordingly, and the consequence is every other bugger gets to do what they want to do, too, to us. I don't like this because I'm not a liberal, and paradoxically I am in favour of rules far tougher than the jonny-come-lately anti-Saudi owner brigade are calling for. And I don't see the mob bullying the Saudis out. I'll give £50 to REMF if they are not still in charge in a year. Want to take me on?

The Rwanda point was made by another poster. I thought that I'd made it obvious I was replying to your post, but referring more generally to those using the 'what about other bad stuff' argument. Which is what you are still doing.

The nub of your position seems to be 'other bad things dodn't get objected to' and 'if we can't stop it we shouldn't bother trying'.

I think that's both defeatist and wrong.

This takeover has happened and I am sure it won't be reversed. But to view everything in the black and white context of 'can we win this or not' is quite...well, short sighted...narrow minded...linear thinking...I can't think of a term you won't get all affronted by. So fill your boots and be all affronted.

My view (based as it happens on quite a lot of experience) is that major changes (like getting the politics right to put new rules in place to stop the process of financialization of the UK economy) never comes about by one action alone. It's a long process of picking battles and shifting the overton window to make such things unacceptable in future. This one happens to have raised hackles, for reasons that should be obvious, so I'm happy to see people (including other fans of other clubs) run with it. We can't measure the impact, but that doesn't mean there will be no impact.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The east stand will be organising a sandal waving protest obviously no lobbing of the sandal in case it accidently knocks someone's flask over, but we'll done to all those that make the effort.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

None of us have.

Some of us have raised an eyebrow at the motives of fans of clubs who are current or future rivals of Newcastle suddenly discovering an interest in human rights. That's all.

Oh yeah you have. All that whataboutery you have spouted in this thread HWT. Calling sportswashing "fake news", berating CP fans for having a banner against it. You might not be defending their actions in Saudi Arabia but you are certainly defending their place in the Premier League.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Rwanda point was made by another poster. I thought that I'd made it obvious I was replying to your post, but referring more generally to those using the 'what about other bad stuff' argument. Which is what you are still doing.

The nub of your position seems to be 'other bad things dodn't get objected to' and 'if we can't stop it we shouldn't bother trying'.

I think that's both defeatist and wrong.

This takeover has happened and I am sure it won't be reversed. But to view everything in the black and white context of 'can we win this or not' is quite...well, short sighted...narrow minded...linear thinking...I can't think of a term you won't get all affronted by. So fill your boots and be all affronted.

My view (based as it happens on quite a lot of experience) is that major changes (like getting the politics right to put new rules in place to stop the process of financialization of the UK economy) never comes about by one action alone. It's a long process of picking battles and shifting the overton window to make such things unacceptable in future. This one happens to have raised hackles, for reasons that should be obvious, so I'm happy to see people (including other fans of other clubs) run with it. We can't measure the impact, but that doesn't mean there will be no impact.

Wrong again. You might persuade me to consider joining your campaign if you were to stop playing the man instead of the ball.

Here is my view. We should be accepting investment from places overseas only where human rights are upheld (equal rights regardless of gender, sexuality, politics, ethnicity, religion, class and wealth). I am out of step with UK PLC on this since UK PLC has regarded this as not an issue since trade began. I can't recall one general election where human rights overseas has impacted on the outcome. I do not believe that the tide will be turned by palace Ultras. You think that every little helps. That's fine. Let's leave it there shall we?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
None of us have.

I take it you're referring to the shady breakaway wing of Amnesty International who go by the name of Ultra People's Front of Selhurst, who dress up as 10 year old ninja warriors?

I recommend they use a bit more ninja.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
None of us have.

No! As someone has already pointed out the eyebrows have only been raised as it's Palace.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh yeah you have. All that whataboutery you have spouted in this thread HWT. Calling sportswashing "fake news", berating CP fans for having a banner against it. You might not be defending their actions in Saudi Arabia but you are certainly defending their place in the Premier League.

There is a huge breadth to your knowledge and interests but absolutely no depth. Getting antsy with me won't help. I'm shaking my head sadly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No! As someone has already pointed out the eyebrows have only been raised as it's Palace.

I shall raise an eyebrow if another club's ultras do similar next week. And I shall do the same the week after. If the same happens on the third week, at that point I will take note and consider the impact. If the Saudis are eventually driven out of football due to fan protests, I will acknowledge and praise the palace ultras and those who followed them. Be sure to drag me back to this thread if I forget this post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here