Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That bloke, WSL who headed the ball back

There was no dog, more's the pity. I was bemoaning the little things that have been left behind in the modern game...like wagon wheels for sale at the game, Fred Oliver selling Shoot, Match and Argus...dogs running onto the pitch and blokes heading the ball back from the crowd. Not seen that last one in ages. Sod's Law that it happens twice in one game!

...The St Johns Ambulance Man with the Hitler moustache who without fail was subject to good natured barracking every game at the Goldstone. Or is he a figment of my imagination?

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Correct. I was a steward at that time and was stood right next to Keith. It was no accident and we had a good chuckle about it in the players bar afterwards. Keith used to 'run' the bar for the players and was also something of a 'fixer' for the players, especially if it involved home appliances.
Club secretary?

That was Keith Cuss, the somewhat mature (age-wise at least:lol:) head of the ball boys, who quite deliberately- and amusingly- back headed it into the crowd when we were a goal up in a tight game against City. He knew exactly what he was doing, wasting a few seconds, though I'm also fairly sure it was a largely spontaneous act, and not part of a dastardly plan.

City complained (rightly, really) and he got fired from his ball boy duties.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Whatever happened to Keith? He came to the supporters' club tournament to Paris, 1985. We beat Sampdoria and Lens but lost to Ajax on pens in the quarters (I kid you not). Someone has a 7th place trophy somewhere (probably Bennett Dean as he was skipper). It might just make the Amex trophy room....

PG

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
He lived Southamton way I think, and after the 'incident' pretty much stopped traveling across.
Whatever happened to Keith? He came to the supporters' club tournament to Paris, 1985. We beat Sampdoria and Lens but lost to Ajax on pens in the quarters (I kid you not). Someone has a 7th place trophy somewhere (probably Bennett Dean as he was skipper). It might just make the Amex trophy room....

PG

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I sit in WSL at the south end but couldn't go last night. It's also an ambition of mine to head the ball back, been close a few times but sounds like this chap has stolen my thunder :(

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

At the Goldstone, I used to love it when the guy had to walk around the pitch at the beginning of the second-half with the half-time lucky numbers on a big board accompanied by loads of shouting "Get out of the way!" ...every match without fail...could we do that with the Albion hat-trick numbers now...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
...The St Johns Ambulance Man with the Hitler moustache who without fail was subject to good natured barracking every game at the Goldstone. Or is he a figment of my imagination?

I believe the chap in question was Vic Langley. I'm sure there is a photo of him in the midst of the Chelsea fight on the pitch at the Goldstone.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
At the Goldstone, I used to love it when the guy had to walk around the pitch at the beginning of the second-half with the half-time lucky numbers on a big board accompanied by loads of shouting "Get out of the way!" ...every match without fail...could we do that with the Albion hat-trick numbers now...

This. Still think the bloke who appears on the screen with the lucky numbers now looks like a young Alex Ferguson.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He lived Southamton way I think, and after the 'incident' pretty much stopped traveling across.

No he lived in Lindfield, he is my friends dad. Over the years I have lost touch so don't know if he still goes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here