Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That Bloke That Created Fans United in 1997 - Wasnt he a Plymouth Fan?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
According to a Stoke fan on their forum, we're the equivilent of scum for arranging the Fans United day against one of our relegation rivals at the time. As it somehow guaranteed that we would win and was effectively a form of cheating and was nothing to do with off the pitch issues. Very odd

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
According to a Stoke fan on their forum, we're the equivilent of scum for arranging the Fans United day against one of our relegation rivals at the time. As it somehow guaranteed that we would win and was effectively a form of cheating and was nothing to do with off the pitch issues. Very odd

Coming from a fan of a side who have a 'towel boy' ready for whenever Delap takes a throw in, I'll choose to ignore that idiot's views on cheating.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
It was on an old version of North Stand Chat or a Seagulls messageboard or something.

Not sure what it was called that back then.

I remember accessing it with my 28.8 dial-up modem, which was pretty cool back then, because most modems were 14.4 at the time. Then came the 56k, and that changed everything...

I didn't know, thanks.

I quite miss the old beep beep buzz of the dial ups. At least you could tell when the bloody things were working or not...

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Wasn't it called the Seagulls Server.. or something similar?
Feb 1997 was the first month I ever went on the Internet I believe...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Would be nice to at least give him a mention tomorrow night for his role in our ultimate salvation.

Particularly given Plymouth's current predicament. At least show a bit of solidarity with them. Attila?

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Would be nice to at least give him a mention tomorrow night for his role in our ultimate salvation.

Particularly given Plymouth's current predicament. At least show a bit of solidarity with them. Attila?

Totally agree. What a timely opportunity for us to thank a fellow fan whilst supporting the Pilgrims at a grim time for them. We should get him to the game.

KGollop

Feb 21, 2011
Hi all,

A friend of Richard's here, a fellow Argyle fan who is thoroughly depressed today as you can imagine. Rich has had trouble registering here, so has asked me to post a message he's just sent me:

Hi it's Rich here, for some reason I'm having trouble logging on the message board here and also on PASOTI so I asked Kev to post on my behalf.
I wanted to start by saying how pleased I am that Albion are doing so well and at long last you'll be getting a proper home, you deserve it after all those dark years! As you know our situation is very bleak at the moment, we went into administration today so will almost certainly be relegated back to the basement. Things could get even worse if we don't come up with the rumoured 2 million owed by the end of the season, it's a real possibility there maybe no more Argyle. This is just another example of people getting involved in football purely for selfish financial gain that have no interest in the game or how important the football club is to the people (much like the Archer days). One of the saddest things has to be the lack of media coverage we have received, listening to the radio today they were more interested in Arsenal fielding a weakened team and the impact it has on the FA cup!
I'm working until 5PM tomorrow so sadly don't think it's really possible to make it up for the game, I would have loved to be there as it feel it's kind of ironic we're playing Albion on this of all weeks. Going to the opening of the new stadium would be something special so please let me know the details and I'll see what I can do (more difficult these days with two kids).
Cheers
Rich
rich_vaughan@blueyonder.co.uk

All the best for the rest of the season, after tomorrow of course!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Its unbelievable to think a 12 (or 14) year old kid, with absolutely no interest in our club, no reason to help us, no motive apart from a belief that what was happening to us was so wrong, started something so big which, had such a massive part in the saving of our club.

Feel very sorry for him especially given this quote:

"One of the saddest things has to be the lack of media coverage we have received, listening to the radio today they were more interested in Arsenal fielding a weakened team and the impact it has on the FA cup!"

That encapsulates what is wrong with football. Money Money Money & the Premiership.

Rich Vaughan - legend, I truly hope Argyle get out of the mire they are in and you will always be given a heroes reception at the Albion.
:bowdown:

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Shame he won't be there tomorrow but every single Plymouth fan who makes the journey deserves complete sympathy and respect from all at Withdean. Piss taking if there's only a hundred or so of them would be bang out of order.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
We should certainly show our respect to Plymouth's plight, not take the piss. I think a section of our fans either don't remember or are too quick to forget the widespread help and support we received during our darkest days. I'm thinking in particular of fans United and tremendous support we received from:- Sheffield United, Charlton, Plymouth, Rochdale etc...

I remember Rochdale away on a Tuesday night when we blocked in our team coach after an abysmal 3-0 defeat because Bellotti was traveling on it. Their fans were brilliant and helped us block it by sitting in the road.

Lower league club fans in particularly should be more supportive as you never know who is up next for administration/poor ownership etc...

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Its unbelievable to think a 12 (or 14) year old kid, with absolutely no interest in our club, no reason to help us, no motive apart from a belief that what was happening to us was so wrong, started something so big which, had such a massive part in the saving of our club.

It also hammers home how long the fight has been when you read that the young boy now has two children of his own

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
It also hammers home how long the fight has been when you read that the young boy now has two children of his own

Indeed it does. They should be very PROUD of their dad!

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
It would be great if there was something we could do to show our support for them in their current predicament.

I've no idea what though, or even whether there is anything that can be done at this stage given the size of the financial hole.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
Here here one of the best football fan-run campaigns ever and to think it wasn't even a Brighton fan who came up with it. This is a time for solidarity with our west country friends. Lest never forget...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here