Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That 10 million Heathrow spent on snow stuff other year is working well isnt it?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There total investment in snow prevention/removal gear is 36 million, which makes it even more laughable.

These problems with just 5cm's dont occur in stockholm, vanvouver and the like who get much more snow.

Its a joke

BA's tendency to throw the towel in at the drop of a snowflake does not help either.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is it me or has Gatwick got better at dealing with snow since it was sold by BAA - seems to be barely any problems there.

It has. The new owners of Gatwick have been investing heavily in the airport and it is joy to travel though these days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I appreciate what your saying but I do not believe for one minute other airports shut down when there is a light dusting of snow. I've flown out of airports in driving snow before. Heathrow serves a huge economy and should be able to deal with light snow.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Other airports do close or have delays due to snow, but we like to believe that the British mess up everything so that we can have a moan. Places like Sweden & Canada get regular snowfalls whereas ours are very sporadic.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/09/airport-snow-idUSL5E8N92AE20121209

Snow warning for major European airports | News | Travel Trade Gazette

Once had a 10 hour delay at Pearsons (Toronto) due to a thunderstorm... you're right, these occurrences do tend to be overlooked.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyway. If the bosses of BAA get the chop for this there will always be a place for them at Southern rail; they can never have enough white flag waving surrender monkeys on their pay roll.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
BA's tendency to throw the towel in at the drop of a snowflake does not help either.

A ready made excuse not to fly a half full flight and consolidate it to a full one tomorrow is my cynical take.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I too have been very impressed the last few times I have travelled, very slick getting in and out.

Totally with you and there are more improvements coming.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A ready made excuse not to fly a half full flight and consolidate it to a full one tomorrow is my cynical take.

Highly likely. I have no respect or trust for BA or BAA.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought it was £50m they spent. Still, either way, if they'd spent just a little on ensuring their passengers are comfortable in the event of problems, things would be a lot better.

I'm just going by the immediate response they made two years ago when they were heavily criticised. I would hope that over time they have invested more.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Once had a 10 hour delay at Pearsons (Toronto) due to a thunderstorm... you're right, these occurrences do tend to be overlooked.

Your might be right but the fact of the mattter is that most major airports seem to remain open when they have advance warning of a few cms of snow AND lets not forget that the Heathrow boss said this would not happen in the future when the government dragged him across the coals last time round.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm flying from there on January 28th...starting to get a little nervy.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I think part of the problem is capacity. Heathrow is running at something like 99% capacity, it only takes a few delays for the problem to snowball out of control. (Ill get my coat).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here